Casimir

04/14/2017 7:10pm Detroit Tigers @ Cleveland Indians

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Remember when Ryan got that one double play and we should have left him in during the two run game instead of using Justin Wilson?

Ryan ain't looking so good so far.  Nothing like how he closed out last season.

I am starting to feel shame.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

-JaCoby Jones is the real deal with the glove. One very good- almost instant - recovery on a very tough line drive hit nearly right at him (the toughest kind) and the catch on Lindor was pretty much just flat out fabulous. Also had the angle covered on the ball off the wall that ricocheted past Upton. Kid's instincts are right on.

I'm liking this.  I hope his bat carries enough to justify starting him in CF.  So far, so good.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Right now the Detroit Tigers are the winningness team in major league baseball.  Somehow I'm not happy.  It's like being given a suitcase full of cash soiled with dye-pack ink.  I'm afraid to spend it. I'm afraid to believe in it.  I know how it was procured. 

You got your six runs plus a bonus run.  You should be pleased.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What bullspit excuse has our manager or GM given for sending Jiminez back down to the minors to bring up that bum that pitched tonight?    And then - after the first two guys got on, why the **** was he still on the mound?   

The people running this team are absolutely determined to destroy us with their selection of who they have in the bullpen and how they are used.   

He was one with options and, he had just pitched, he's very young, and we needed a body for long relief.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Several guys at Toledo having decent starts. Stumpf, Verhagen, Bell - though the latter two have been starting. Just incredibly foolish management to have burned Hardy and Jimenez for 10 days for nothing though. Avila can't be that thick after being in a front office for so many years can he?

Hardy was up for Ryan's paternity leave. Does paternity leave count for the 10 day rule?

I don't really want to defend Al, but, I'm not sure what else he could have done for the paternity leave fill in. In the case of Jiminez, I think they just think it's premature to have him up here at this point. That all may have changed with Friday's near disaster.

• Like 1

He seems to have a hard time controlling his secondary pitches which have to be on target to complement his fastball. Everybody and his sister at the MLB level can hit a fastball.  But my guess is that he will end up being called up sooner than is probably judicious. 

The thing that gets lost in last night's game is that Brad actually did a nice job with the pen. He didn't waste Justin Wilson - he held him and KRod out of the game until they were needed (when Ryan and Cuevas failed). And bringing in Cuevas with a six run lead was the proper thing to do. There was enough cushion to do that.

He pulled out a win when three of his relievers were bad - Ryan, Cuevas and, at least for one pitch, KRod.

And I liked Alex W getting the two inning save the other day.

• Like 2

It bothers me that the story is that krod gave up a grand slam, as if he were the one that loaded the bases.

Obviously it isn't ideal to give up a home run there. But he came into the game with the bases loaded and one out. He got a strikeout on the first guy. He gave up a homer. And then he got the second out. 

If cuevas gives up a home run to make it a 2 run game and clears the bases, and then krod comes in and does the same thing, but the homer is simply a solo homer, I feel like the narrative would change. 

25 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

The thing that gets lost in last night's game is that Brad actually did a nice job with the pen. He didn't waste Justin Wilson - he held him and KRod out of the game until they were needed (when Ryan and Cuevas failed). And bringing in Cuevas with a six run lead was the proper thing to do. There was enough cushion to do that.

He pulled out a win when three of his relievers were bad - Ryan, Cuevas and, at least for one pitch, KRod.

I agree. That was the right time to bring in the Cuevas kid to see what he has. I really don't see anything wrong with the bullpen management last night. I feel like he put the guys in the position to succeed, but it was the guys that failed. Either through lack of talent or they had bad nights.

(I'm not defending the decision to bring Cuevas up in the first place and send down Jimenez, which is a decision I'm not to keen on, although I get their reasoning.)

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

He was one with options and, he had just pitched, he's very young, and we needed a body for long relief.

Needed a body for long relief?  More like needed a dozen bodies for 3 innings.

31 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

1 minute ago, rhino said:

I agree. That was the right time to bring in the Cuevas kid to see what he has. I really don't see anything wrong with the bullpen management last night. I feel like he put the guys in the position to succeed, but it was the guys that failed. Either through lack of talent or they had bad nights.

(I'm not defending the decision to bring Cuevas up in the first place and send down Jimenez, which is a decision I'm not to keen on, although I get their reasoning.)

Yeah, I don't see how Ausmus gets blame for the bullpen flame out last night.  Guys couldn't find the strike zone from about, what, the 4th inning on.  Just not a well pitched game overall.

24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It bothers me that the story is that krod gave up a grand slam, as if he were the one that loaded the bases.

Obviously it isn't ideal to give up a home run there. But he came into the game with the bases loaded and one out. He got a strikeout on the first guy. He gave up a homer. And then he got the second out. 

If cuevas gives up a home run to make it a 2 run game and clears the bases, and then krod comes in and does the same thing, but the homer is simply a solo homer, I feel like the narrative would change. 

I look at it this way.  The bullpen as a whole did poorly.  Cuevas gave up the runners that scored on that grand slam, but the bullpen certainly kept Cleveland in the game.  And now all if that action from last night could have repercussions for today's game.

Rodriguez has some question about him because he hasn't started out this season so well.  This follows up last season where he started out with velocity differential issues.  Add in the fact that he's got some miles on him.

But you are probably right about the narrative.  He's a veteran closer, so he should come in and shut the opposition down even if the bases are loaded.  Or so goes the thought of some.  But it just don't work that way.

They might be 7-3 right now, but it somewhat doesn't feel like it.  The middle of the order has been sluggish.  The bullpen is showing leaks again.

41 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I look at it this way.  The bullpen as a whole did poorly.  Cuevas gave up the runners that scored on that grand slam, but the bullpen certainly kept Cleveland in the game.  And now all if that action from last night could have repercussions for today's game.

Rodriguez has some question about him because he hasn't started out this season so well.  This follows up last season where he started out with velocity differential issues.  Add in the fact that he's got some miles on him.

But you are probably right about the narrative.  He's a veteran closer, so he should come in and shut the opposition down even if the bases are loaded.  Or so goes the thought of some.  But it just don't work that way.

They might be 7-3 right now, but it somewhat doesn't feel like it.  The middle of the order has been sluggish.  The bullpen is showing leaks again.

Leaks???? It's more like a flood.

The Tiger bullpen definitely has a rep. I read the opposing team's forums and the consensus seems to be...... wait for the bullpen. The other team (and their fans) never feel like the game is over.

Time will tell if this is just a blip or yet another failure of a bullpen. I'm not impressed so far.

EDIT:

On the other hand, the starting pitching has started off pretty well. Norris, Fulmer, JV and even Boyd are pretty darn good so far.

Just now, Antrat said:

The Tiger bullpen definitely has a rep. I read the opposing team's forums and the consensus seems to be...... wait for the bullpen. The other team never feels like the game is over.

Time will tell if this is just a blip or yet another failure of a bullpen. I'm not impressed so far.

The offensive game plan for opponents should be pretty simple.  Work the pitch counts on the starters and get to the bullpen.  It ain't rocket surgery.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yeah, I don't see how Ausmus gets blame for the bullpen flame out last night.  

Was he getting slammed last night? I thought he moved appropriately - If anything I might have moved even a little quicker than Brad. I hate making a reliever come in with the bases loaded. If you were going to use Cuevas, that was about as low a leverage situation as was going to come along short of being on the wrong end of a blow-out. The current question is more about who is scouting these bums they keep thinking can pitch to major leaguers?

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

The story is Rodriguez has not been sharp and wasn't sharp last night either.  Even a solo homer would have been reason for further concern about him.  

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

-JaCoby Jones is the real deal with the glove. One very good- almost instant - recovery on a very tough line drive hit nearly right at him (the toughest kind) and the catch on Lindor was pretty much just flat out fabulous. Also had the angle covered on the ball off the wall that ricocheted past Upton. Kid's instincts are right on.

I think it was Dickerson who was interviewing Al Kaline and the topic of Jones came up.

Kaline loves Jones' defense.  Said Jones is the best defensive OF in the org by a wide margin and Al believes JaCoby has a gold glove ceiling that can be reached in the very near future.

Claimed the only thing he told Avila when they were finalizing the roster this spring was if he [Avila] were truly serious about putting together the best 25 man roster possible, there is no way Jones cannot be on it for his defense alone.

It was striking to me simply because Al isn't the type to be overly complementary /  talk that way about any prospect (or at least as I can recall).

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think it was Dickerson who was interviewing Al Kaline and the topic of Jones came up.

Kaline loves Jones' defense.  Said Jones is the best defensive OF in the org by a wide margin and Al believes JaCoby has a gold glove ceiling that can be reached in the very near future.

Claimed the only thing he told Avila when they were finalizing the roster this spring was if he [Avila] were truly serious about putting together the best 25 man roster possible, there is no way Jones cannot be on it for his defense alone.

It was striking to me simply because Al isn't the type to be overly complementary /  talk that way about any prospect (or at least as I can recall).

He said Bent Clevlen was going to be a star.  

Brent Clevlen had it all, power, cannon arm, movie star good looks, the charisma of 10 ordinary men. And the strikezone judgment of Brennan Boesch

5 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Brent Clevlen had it all, power, cannon arm, movie star good looks, the charisma of 10 ordinary men. And the strikezone judgment of Brennan Boesch

It couldn't have been easy for him, playing under the poor lighting in the minor leagues.

5 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

It couldn't have been easy for him, playing under the poor lighting in the minor leagues.

It really makes sense. He adapted to the minor league lighting just as he got called up to MLB, and then, bam, he's blinded.

56 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The story is Rodriguez has not been sharp and wasn't sharp last night either.  Even a solo homer would have been reason for further concern about him.  

That's not the story I was seeing. As I mentioned, a solo home run is still not good. It just sounds a lot worse when you say he gave up a grand slam. 

He wasn't too far away from a K and warning track fly. 

Regardless, there was plenty of blame to hand out to ryan and cuevas