Sydney_Fife

Game 82: Pistons @ Magic

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

so....reggie is back but maybe andre isnt?

sure sounds like that is the conclusion SVG is prepping for. But Stan talks so much it's hard to take anything he says in one snapshot that seriously.

8 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Boban is putting this team on his back

That must not be the side that has to play defense.

10 hours ago, Hart said:

You got to trade one of Morris and Harris.  The forward position is a mess right now.  I am partial to Harris.  The other side of the Morris contract is that it probably increases his trade value.  

I would trade Johnson before I dealt either of those guys.

The Pistons had three players finish > 35% from three.  One was Bullock, so Reggie and KCP were the only regulars to do it.

43 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The Pistons had three players finish > 35% from three.  One was Bullock, so Reggie and KCP were the only regulars to do it.

Bullock really intrigues me. He hasn't been able to stay healthy, but when he plays he does alright. He shot the ball very well at times and he's a decent defender. Also moves well without the ball and rebounded pretty well last season when healthy.

With a 5.6 million dollar cap hold on a team that can't shoot, I think they should retain him.

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

That must not be the side that has to play defense.

No one else on the team defends perimeter bigs, why should he be different? I liked the sequence late where the bigs were Ellenson and Leuer and Orlando was still getting wide open jump shots at will with their big guys

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

No one else on the team defends perimeter bigs, why should he be different? I liked the sequence late where the bigs were Ellenson and Leuer and Orlando was still getting wide open jump shots at will with their big guys

Baynes is a solid defender, but Drummond sucks. So yeah, it's definitely a legitimate question to ask.

4 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Baynes is a solid defender, but Drummond sucks. So yeah, it's definitely a legitimate question to ask.

Concur.

14 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I would trade Johnson before I dealt either of those guys.

I have no issue trading Johnson but that doesn't solve our forward problem.  Morris and Harris are not a good combination and even if Harris comes off the bench,  those guys still end up playing a lot of minutes next each other.  

You guys keep complaining about what nightmare AD is on defense and how the whole team couldn't defend, etc etc. We were 7th in D this year and that's without the. It would be great if we were #1 but we didn't suck on D no matter how much we want it to fit the narrative

4 hours ago, DaBishop said:

You guys keep complaining about what nightmare AD is on defense and how the whole team couldn't defend, etc etc. We were 7th in D this year and that's without the. It would be great if we were #1 but we didn't suck on D no matter how much we want it to fit the narrative

You spent the whole year telling us all that we were negative nellies and the Pistons were going to make the playoffs, speaking of wrong narratives.

The Pistons were ok at rebounding and played slow, that's why they "rank" high on certain defensive statistics.  If you watched them play without your rose colored glasses on, you might see that they're pretty flawed and were not really that good at defense.

Andre is terrible at defense but good at rebounding.  If you consider his rebounding part of the defensive scheme, he was ok.

The Pistons were 7th overall ranked in Defense. Top 10 in Opponents FG%, Top ten in Def efficiency. They could have been better in some areas. Surprisingly they did in fact have flaws though, you are correct. Andre is a phenomenal rebounder, and his ability there allows others to focus their efforts elsewhere which probably has something to do with the fact that despite the fact that Andre too, shockingly enough, has some flaws.

As for being wrong about the playoffs, I'm sure you saw them going 0-4 to the easiest part of our schedule where we should have gone 4-0 but you're special. Had they made the playoffs I'm sure you'd have been more disappointed that a team with all those flaws had succeeded then I am that they didn't.

ah yes, the ol "you dont think the team is awesome you must want them to lose" trope.  an oldie but a goodie.

bball season is over bishop, back to seeing which qb the jets will blow their first round pick on. :)

ah yes, the ol "you dont think the team is awesome you must want them to lose" trope.  an oldie but a goodie.
bball season is over bishop, back to seeing which qb the jets will blow their first round pick on.

How many NFC championship gsmes has Stafford been too? Sanchise 4-Eva!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Y'know...one last thing, this team didn't miss the playoffs because they were a bad team. I don't know what happened at the end of the season but it was pretty unbelievable and in my opinion not a representation of the team they were. That 4-12 finish was pretty unreal and a stretch in which the Pistons should have gone at worst 7-9 but based on the play going into that stretch, 9-7 was a very realistic expectation. I don't think anyone has an answer as to why the rug was suddenly pulled out and we lost to 4 of the worst teams in the league and had a stretch of just being blown out and then were unable to pull out a win in close games vs Miami, Bucks and Toronto but we weren't that team all season so it's pretty baffling we were to finish the season out and it's pretty disappointing.

That said, them missing the playoffs wasn't because of their poor defense or their poor offense. It was because after Reggie came back they lost all chemistry and never played like a team again and even with that, they were still poised to make the playoffs until they fell apart.

In the end, maybe missing the playoffs will give the players and staff a greater sense of urgency then they otherwise would have had.

2 hours ago, DaBishop said:

Y'know...one last thing, this team didn't miss the playoffs because they were a bad team. I don't know what happened at the end of the season but it was pretty unbelievable and in my opinion not a representation of the team they were. That 4-12 finish was pretty unreal and a stretch in which the Pistons should have gone at worst 7-9 but based on the play going into that stretch, 9-7 was a very realistic expectation. I don't think anyone has an answer as to why the rug was suddenly pulled out and we lost to 4 of the worst teams in the league and had a stretch of just being blown out and then were unable to pull out a win in close games vs Miami, Bucks and Toronto but we weren't that team all season so it's pretty baffling we were to finish the season out and it's pretty disappointing.

That said, them missing the playoffs wasn't because of their poor defense or their poor offense. It was because after Reggie came back they lost all chemistry and never played like a team again and even with that, they were still poised to make the playoffs until they fell apart.

In the end, maybe missing the playoffs will give the players and staff a greater sense of urgency then they otherwise would have had.

They never really looked good this season. They were around .500 with Ish with some terrible losses. 

Jackson returned and they stunk, kind of turned it around, but dropped some absolutely awful games. 

They were lucky to pull out some miracle wins against Charlotte, Toronto, and Portland thanks to KCP's heroics. But they never really looked that great in any of those post-ASB wins. 

The end of the season just summed it all up. They never had a real good consistent stretch of basketball where they shot the ball well and defended. 

If you look at their point differential and some of the absolutely awful losses they had, I think your point understates the problem here. They have some real issues and changes need to be made. It's had to put your finger on, but something has to give. 

A healthy Jackson changes a lot. I still think a healthy Reggie and KCP has potential to be a pretty solid backcourt. And as we have seen in the playoffs, guard play wins. 

On 4/15/2017 at 6:39 PM, DaBishop said:

The Pistons were 7th overall ranked in Defense. Top 10 in Opponents FG%, Top ten in Def efficiency.

Actually we were 20th in Opponent FG% and 21st in Opponent 3pt%. We were also 27th in forcing turnovers, 25th in steals, and 29th in blocks. This was not a good defensive team and anyone who watched knows that. The "defensive rank" can be attributed to the 7th slowest pace and Dre's high defensive rebounding percentage.

• Like 1

They never really looked good this season. They were around .500 with Ish with some terrible losses. 
Jackson returned and they stunk, kind of turned it around, but dropped some absolutely awful games. 
They were lucky to pull out some miracle wins against Charlotte, Toronto, and Portland thanks to KCP's heroics. But they never really looked that great in any of those post-ASB wins. 
The end of the season just summed it all up. They never had a real good consistent stretch of basketball where they shot the ball well and defended. 
If you look at their point differential and some of the absolutely awful losses they had, I think your point understates the problem here. They have some real issues and changes need to be made. It's had to put your finger on, but something has to give. 
A healthy Jackson changes a lot. I still think a healthy Reggie and KCP has potential to be a pretty solid backcourt. And as we have seen in the playoffs, guard play wins. 

Too clarify, i wasnt saying they were a good team, just that that want the reason they didn't make the playoffs. Lotta bad teams in the playoffs this year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It's funny watching people trying to deny the Pistons had a top 10 defense.  

Per/100 so pace has nothing to do with it.

http://stats.nba.com/teams/opponent/#!?sort=OPP_PTS&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season&PerMode=Per100Possessions

That doesn't change 20th in OppFG%, 21st in Opp3PT%, and bottom of the league in blocks, steals, and OppTOs. Those stats tell the clear tale of a bad defensive team that matches the eye test for anyone who watched the games this year. Playing a safe scheme gets you a hollow "ranking", but it doesn't make you a good defensive team.