MAROTH4MVP

2017- Redwings Offseason

I believe that in hockey six goals is equal to one win according the advanced metrics. So to gain 10 points in the standings you would need to be worth 5 wins or 30 goals. So a backup goalie playing 30 games would need to save a goal per game relative to the guy he is replacing. 

Save percentage is a rough way to determine goals against. But we also know that not all saves are created equal. 

Regardless, improving a team by fewer than 10 points can still be worth it. 

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Red Wings will lose Darren Helm to Las Vegas

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt this. Our General Manager loves having a strong veteran presence on his teams. Add onto that, we all know the hyper-loyalty that he often has towards his own players. In Holland world I see it more likely that we let someone like AA or Mantha end up in Vegas before Helm. I would lean towards Mantha since we know what a low opinion Kenny and Jimmy D have of the guy given that they feel the need to publicly dog him.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Come on.

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38.jpg

This is the guy that just last season felt Helm was valued at $3.85/per and now we're supposed to believe that Kenny is working to get out from under his contract? Sorry, I just have a hard time believing he's suddenly not going to be overly loyal to a guy he just paid $3.85/per to. Conversely, Kenny has been critical of Mantha's performance in the past both in public and behind closed doors. Kenny also (seemingly) felt that during the playoffs last year Joakim Andersson would be a bigger asset on the roster than Mantha and so he sent him down and called Andersson up. We've gotten some idea as to how Holland really feels about the guy.

As crazy, ill-conceived, obnoxious, stupid, whatever as my notion may seem, I believe we are dealing with one of the worst GM's in the NHL and won't put anything past him. There is not a move too perplexing and too head scratching that Kenny wouldn't do IMO. 

21 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Worst GM in the NHL.

I can find a million people within a 5 mile radius of me here in Vancouver who would nominate another candidate as worst 

Anyways, I think Kenny would do well with the Leafs if he were to leave after next year as has been rumoured. And the Wings would feel that loss. What would you think  of the Wings instead keeping and promoting Kenny and snagging Mark Hunter as GM?

49 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I can find a million people within a 5 mile radius of me here in Vancouver who would nominate another candidate as worst 

Anyways, I think Kenny would do well with the Leafs if he were to leave after next year as has been rumoured. And the Wings would feel that loss. What would you think  of the Wings instead keeping and promoting Kenny and snagging Mark Hunter as GM?

If Kenny were the GM of the Leafs he'd put Austin Matthews in the press box and tell fans he isn't ready yet. Then at the deadline he would trade a Euro prospect in the Leafs system to the Islanders for Jason Chimera and manufacture a story about how the kid is going back to Finland and how the team needed to add grit . Finally, he'd re-sign 32 year old Tyler Bozak to a 6 year deal at $5.5 million/per.

Toronto Star Reporter: Ken, can you speak to why exactly you chose to sit Austin Matthews in the press box after he had such a phenomenal season for you guys last year.

Holland: Well you know uh, I wasn't really around much last year, but I do know uh one thing, and uh, that is that the NHL is really a men's league. I've learned that there are no quick fixes in my career, but kids aren't the answer. Besides, uh, Austin's got a little growing up to do. The kid is 19 years old and I uh, I heard he had some friends over at his condo and they were drinking underage. We can't have that kind of immaturity ruining our locker room atmosphere.

Toronto Star Reporter: But Ken, the kid scored 40 goals for you guys last season. You're telling fans that he doesn't add a much needed scoring element to the team but Jason Chimera does?

Holland: Look uh, we like our team. We're uh, we're very happy with the direction of our team and the guys we got on it. Chimera is exactly the kind of veteran guy that we needed to inject into our locker room. You know, uh, we needed an element of grit on the ice too. He's got a high level of compete that we want someone like Austin to develop.

I look forward to the day Kenny Holland is gone so Dylan Larkin can get finally be promoted from Grand Rapids for good and get regular playing time in Detroit.

I have to say I can't understand why Tatar continues to take such a ridiculous position. Hyperbole is fine, but this is out of hand. 

51 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I have to say I can't understand why Tatar continues to take such a ridiculous position. Hyperbole is fine, but this is out of hand. 

He'll make a good politician.

39 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I take ridiculous potions because our General Manager makes ridiculous decisions as it pertains to younger players and prospects. Ken Holland doesn't like prospects and young players. He has stated as much either blatantly or through his actions as a GM. When he called into Matt Dery's show on 105.1 and openly talked about the NHL being a men's league and how kids/prospects aren't the answer to fixing a teams problems, that is a blatant swipe against the prospects in your system. When he let Tatar eat overpriced popcorn in the pressbox and left Nyquist down in the AHL so he could have Bertuzzi and Samuelsson on the ice, that too is a statement made against younger players. When he thought David Legwand offered more value to this team than Calle Jarnkrok and then (likely) gave the media a fabricated story about Jarnkrok going back to Sweden to justify his trade, another swipe. When he valued Joakim Andersson's presence on the roster in the playoffs last year over Anthony Mantha's. When he (and Jimmy D) publicly dogged their top scoring prospect on more than one occasion.

53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I take ridiculous potions because our General Manager makes ridiculous decisions as it pertains to younger players and prospects. Ken Holland doesn't like prospects and young players. He has stated as much either blatantly or through his actions as a GM. When he called into Matt Dery's show on 105.1 and openly talked about the NHL being a men's league and how kids/prospects aren't the answer to fixing a teams problems, that is a blatant swipe against the prospects in your system. When he let Tatar eat overpriced popcorn in the pressbox and left Nyquist down in the AHL so he could have Bertuzzi and Samuelsson on the ice, that too is a statement made against younger players. When he thought David Legwand offered more value to this team than Calle Jarnkrok and then (likely) gave the media a fabricated story about Jarnkrok going back to Sweden to justify his trade, another swipe. When he valued Joakim Andersson's presence on the roster in the playoffs last year over Anthony Mantha's. When he (and Jimmy D) publicly dogged their top scoring prospect on more than one occasion.

Those are all fair critiques. Using them as evidence that he wouldn't protect mantha in the expansion draft is ridiculous, though. 

Although, in his defense, kids aren't always the answer, and it's hard to say whether any of them would have actually been better than the guys they chose to play in those instances. 

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Kenny were the GM of the Leafs he'd put Austin Matthews in the press box and tell fans he isn't ready yet. 

Just like he did with Larkin, right?

To be fair, it wasn't like Holland insisted that Larkin be given a spot on the team and he didn't let a veteran go to accommodate him. If I'm recalling correctly, Helm was injured in camp, breaking his leg in a collision.  Datsyuk was already out injured and Zetterberg was injured or not 100%?  Had those other guys been healthy, Larkin is in GR and who knows when he would have gotten his shot. To Larkin's credit, he had an amazing rookie season and regressed like everyone else did under Blashill.  

While Tats may go a little extreme, I don't disagree with his general premise.  Holland hasn't really proven he can build or rebuild this team. I was so excited about last offseason.  The potential was there and he stuck with the same old, same old. GM's and head coaches who have won Cups have been fired for far less. He really doesn't seem to have a plan, and the shrugging and well, but the salary cap and you can't win the Cup every year, it makes it hard to stay interested.  It isn't really fair to be like yeah, but Larkin?!?!  He's the glaring exception, not the rule. 

The new arena couldn't have come at a worse time. Too many fans will flock there just to see the building.  You know the Wings will go heavy on the nostalgia, maybe throw in a jersey retirement or two and keep the fans living in the past to keep showing up.  The only thing that will get their attention is empty seats and lower ratings.  No motivation for the organization to do anything at this point.  They have their yes men and the fans are still going, no need to rock the boat.  

• Like 1

Not sure how much weight to give to anonymous quotes in a Deadspin article but here goes

http://deadspin.com/the-dynasty-that-ate-itself-1794385282

“If Holland was competent enough to figure out that the rebuild is going to take more than a year, then maybe they could possibly trust him with all of his years of experience and all of his connections,” said one person who used to work for the Ilitches and requested anonymity for fear of retribution. “Maybe he could do a good job of having a turnaround in three to five years. But he is absolutely against it. He wants, like, a one-year turnaround. Which means he’s probably going to go and blow money on old veteran players and his usual crap. So I just, I think it’s one of those things where they know he’s not going to change and he hasn’t really been forced to change in the past.”

“Steve Yzerman will not come back,” the former employee continued. “Chris has full control. The rest of the family is either too screwed up or just completely uninvolved, and are basically just collecting their checks. So Chris is it for the family and I don’t think you can be in that position and not work directly with Chris because Chris is very hands-on. And Steve Yzerman won’t work for Chris Ilitch.”

That does it, I'm buying the Wings. Then I'll have to decide who to hire as my GM - Tater, Biggs, Drown, Drizzle, Kacie or Shelton.

5 minutes ago, Kacie said:

To be fair, it wasn't like Holland insisted that Larkin be given a spot on the team and he didn't let a veteran go to accommodate him. If I'm recalling correctly, Helm was injured in camp, breaking his leg in a collision.  Datsyuk was already out injured and Zetterberg was injured or not 100%?  Had those other guys been healthy, Larkin is in GR and who knows when he would have gotten his shot. To Larkin's credit, he had an amazing rookie season and regressed like everyone else did under Blashill.    

This. Poor Larkin only made the team out of necessity. Had Helm and Datsyuk been healthy to start the season they would have been on the opening day roster instead of Larkin.

31 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Just like he did with Larkin, right?

Do you believe that Larkin still makes the team out of camp if Datsyuk and Helm aren't injured?

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

That does it, I'm buying the Wings. Then I'll have to decide who to hire as my GM - Tater, Biggs, Drown, Drizzle, Kacie or Shelton.

GM by committee, that way no one feels left out. Really though, I don't want to be a GM. If you can get me the Swedish language Rosetta Stone and pair me up with Hakkan in Europe I'd be all set.

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

GM by committee, that way no one feels left out. Really though, I don't want to be a GM. If you can get me the Swedish language Rosetta Stone and pair me up with Hakkan in Europe I'd be all set.

If I hire Shelton as GM I hope Biggs doesn't become his Helene St.James-like lackey. I'd need some journos in this town to hold the front office accountable.