MAROTH4MVP

2017- Redwings Offseason

38 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

If it's not Stevie Y I don't care who it is. Keep Holland on the rebuild for 2 years and then bring in The Captain.

No interest in Dean Lombardi (formerly with the Kings) I take it?

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

At this point in my hockey fandom I pretty much only follow the Wings. So my opinions on this subject are probably even more ignorant than usual.

They weren't going to fire him before giving him a year in that new arena.  I know it's silly, but it's the truth.     I don't think he'll be long at GM if they miss the playoffs two more years.  They might move him to a different position then.  

Blashill will also be back according to Holland. Blashill further stated all the assistant coaches are expected back as well.

Not surprising at all, but depressing as ****.  I hated how they milked the end of the Joe to mask the fact they missed the playoffs.  Then all next season, it'll be all about the new building, the first time they did this, the first time they did that.  Bleh  This was the first season in forever I didn't go to a single game, and had no desire to and didn't miss it.  As long as the sheeple continue to live in the past and the warm fuzzy nostalgia, and going to games, nothing will change.  Like the Tigers milking 1984 for almost two decades.  

I may be in the minority( or the only one!), but I don't want Steve Yzerman back.  I think he's a decent GM, although not the God that some make him out to be. I'd just prefer they clean house and start over without the heroes of yesteryear.  I have to say I was a bit surprised to see him speaking at the JLA ceremonies.  It was kind of awkward having another team's GM talking about getting back to the winning ways and winning a Cup again.  Kind of sorta sounded like he was applying for the job.

Yep, Blashill looking like he'll be back is depressing. I knew Holland wouldn't be gone yet, so the pitch of how the Wings will be more interesting to watch next year comes down to:

a) will still be crap but they'll be like crap inside a shiny new building (who cares after the first time you go there;

b) were crap last year but here's a new coach who can maybe get more out of the same roster or play a more interesting style at least; or

c) same crap team, same crap coach, but lookie here we just blew our budget on a 33-year old well-known name and if you close your eyes you can pretend he's still playing like a 25-year old.

a) is blech, b) appears to be out, and c) is dangerous and exactly what they don't need.

Ken Holland now gets another year to further entrench this team into salary cap purgatory. Not only that, he gets to decide who will be put up for the expansion draft. I'm guessing we'll be losing a top young player or two since we know Kenny can't let go of any of his veteran players. This is a men's league after all.

Then, if/when they do fire Kenny, finding another GM will be more difficult because any potential candidates will take one look at this situation and realize that it might take 2-3-4 years just to clean up this salary cap mess. They'll also realize how badly Kenny bungled the expansion draft. They are giving Kenny the same chance that Joe Dumars was given in 2013 when he blew the bank and brought in Josh Smith, ruined the Pistons cap situation and handicapped long-term planning with a bad deal. Just as Dumars should have been let go after the 2012, so to should Kenny now. Sadly, we aren't doing that and Holland will be brought back.

Not even ken holland is dumb enough to leave a good young player available in the expansion draft. 

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not even ken holland is dumb enough to leave a good young player available in the expansion draft. 

We're talking about one of the worst General Managers in the NHL. I won't put anything past this guy.

Is there a cliff notes version on the expansion draft and in particular how it will affect the red wings?

are there certain players that you have to protect? I think about a guy like abdelkader who is ridiculously overpaid. Seems like a no brainer to make him available. 

Do you have to leave a certain number of young/cheap players available to be picked?

Are you limited to protecting only one goalie? If so, is there a general consensus on which one they will protect?

If I had to guess, I would think the Holland wants to try to make the team middle of the pack next year, hoping for some improved play from the younger players and shoring up the weakest spots with mediocre vets as stop gaps. I don't think he will expose a young player with any sort of potential.  

We're talking about the General Manager who is on the record as saying that the NHL is a men's league and that kids are not the answer to right a teams problems. We're talking about a guy who kept a 24 year old Gus Nyquist in the press box in favor of Mikael Samuelsson and a 22 year old Tomas Tatar in the minors in favor of Todd Bertuzzi. We're talking about a guy who brings his own, veteran players back long after they should have been gone. We're talking about the guy who values Darren Helm at $3.85 million per year. We're talking about the guy who, along with his front office staff, publicly dogs and chastises young players when he doesn't feel they're playing up to par or giving it there all on ice.

Kenny likes veteran players and seems to fundamentally believe that the most successful teams are built around a strong veteran core of 28 and up guys. Kenny fielded the 5th oldest team in the league last year with an average age of 27.7. I would bet the opposite of what you're saying and do believe that Kenny would leave guys like Mantha, Athanasiou, Hicketts, Russo, etc. exposed to the expansion draft if possible. 

It's one thing to keep young players in the minors or out of a game, and a completely different thing to let them walk for nothing. 

This isn't like a deadline deal where he gives up prospects for a veteran to help a pointless playoff push. 

The worst GM in the history of the league would not leave Mantha or the like exposed. 

I know you hate Holland, and I don't think he is very good either, but come on. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm shocked you would bring up his name since ol Dean suffers from a lot of the problems that Holland does.  Dustin Brown at  $5.87 million a year until 2022, Gaborik at $4.87 million a year until 2021, Greene getting a 4 year deal at age 31 when he was already pretty much done (also wondering how Kopitar's contract is going to look through age 36 at $10 million a year, he already had his first down year)... trading for Ben Bishop when the team has had problems scoring goals all season long, not goaltending... not to mention his terrible handling of the Voynov and Richards situations.  No thanks.

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

do believe that Kenny would leave guys like Mantha, Athanasiou, Hicketts, Russo, etc. exposed to the expansion draft if possible. 

No chance on Mantha and AA being left exposed.

And the Wings will only lose 1 player. Howard or Nick Jensen are real possibilities.

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

I'm shocked you would bring up his name since ol Dean suffers from a lot of the problems that Holland does.  Dustin Brown at  $5.87 million a year until 2022, Gaborik at $4.87 million a year until 2021, Greene getting a 4 year deal at age 31 when he was already pretty much done (also wondering how Kopitar's contract is going to look through age 36 at $10 million a year, he already had his first down year)... trading for Ben Bishop when the team has had problems scoring goals all season long, not goaltending... not to mention his terrible handling of the Voynov and Richards situations.  No thanks.

I'm not saying I want Lombardi persay, though I would take him over Kenny. Lombardi has proved, unlike Kenny, that he can take a team from nothing and build a contender. The Kings didn't make the playoffs for six seasons prior to Lombardi arriving as President and GM. They had an awful roster and a weak farm system. Lombardi and Co. turned that ship around rather quickly and won two Stanley Cups in the process.

52 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

No chance on Mantha and AA being left exposed.

And the Wings will only lose 1 player. Howard or Nick Jensen are real possibilities.

I'm guessing Jensen is protected, otherwise I don't know why they didn't wait to extend/sign him until after the expansion draft.

41 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not saying I want Lombardi persay, though I would take him over Kenny. Lombardi has proved, unlike Kenny, that he can take a team from nothing and build a contender. The Kings didn't make the playoffs for six seasons prior to Lombardi arriving as President and GM. They had an awful roster and a weak farm system. Lombardi and Co. turned that ship around rather quickly and won two Stanley Cups in the process.

Well Holland hasn't signed onto a crappy team like that either so maybe he could excel at a full rebuild (this doesn't take into account Holland's present stubbornness not to do so as it is still a different situation than when Lombardi was brought in for a rebuild), but they both have shown that they are capable of taking a strong/championship level roster and mismanage it into a mess.  Or maybe it is the ebb and flow of NHL franchises....

Also, while he made some good picks, cornerstones like Kopitar and Quick (you could argue Brown before he went into the crapper too) were already there.  I'm also not sure where you got the six seasons of not making the playoffs thing, I'm seeing he was hired in April of 2006 and they went to the playoffs up until 2002/03, then missed it 3 times (excluding the lockout cancelled year of course) and missed the first 3 years of him being GM so maybe you counted those? It also didn't hurt that he was able to draft Doughty at 2 overall, a luxury that Holland hasn't had.  

Maybe Lombardi was listening to all his advisers to start out and now that he tried doing it on his own he has shown his true colors....

I played with the expansion draft thing at capfriendly dot com. 

I think I understand the rules. Here is who I protected, using the 7/3/1 format. 

Zetterberg

nielsen

Nyquist

tatar

mantha

athanasiou

sheahan

ouellet

kronwall

jensen

coreau

notable players left unprotected:

abdelkader

Helm

green

dekeyser

ericsson

howard

mrazek

i figure, leave the long term expensive guys unprotected, maybe we will get lucky and they will get claimed. 

I don't really know anything about a lot of these guys so I probably screwed up something  

Oh no Shelton... Coreau?!

I did this a few times, but I figure with the hindsight of the year I'd run it again and share what I did:

Nielsen (NMC)

Zetterberg (Left him off before as I didn't think he would get chosen due to age/contract, but after the year he had, the fact that LV has to claim a certain amount of money, and the cap recapture penalty stays with Detroit even if he retires in Vegas made me want to keep him)

Nyquist

Tatar

Mantha

Athanasiou

Nosek

Green

Oullete

Jensen

Mrazek

I would guess that Abdelkader gets kept over Nosek and DeKeyser over Oullete if I had to wager (even though getting out from both Abdelkader and DeKeyser's contracts would be soooo awesome).  I feel like Kronwall could sneak in over Jensen due to loyalty but I doubt LV would want him and I would hope that someone in the FO sees that.

I protected the crappy goalie only because I had to protect one (I guess I didn't have to, but you know what I mean).

i would be fine with either Howard or mrazek being claimed. Feels like putting them both out there increases our chances of getting rid of one. You don't know exactly which one LV might prefer.