Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Last Game at the Palace: Wizards @ Pistons

9 hours ago, Shelton said:

Interesting to see the difference in the sendoff for both arenas. Lots of things working against the Pistons. 

First, I never got the sense that the palace was particularly "loved" by anyone. It definitely lacked character. 

Second, the Pistons never had the sustained success like the wings did, so they probably had fewer fans. 

It also hurts that the palace didn't really need to be left behind from a facility quality standpoint. 

There seems to be some criticism that the Pistons could have done more to give it a sendoff, but when people don't really care, what's the point?

The Pistons move out of The Palace was also fairly quick. The Red Wings have had a couple seasons to prepare and played this final season as a farewell season. The Pistons announcement to leave The Palace was in the middle of their final season. 

I think there is a lot of love for The Palace. It was a revolutionary arena and created an arena boom across the country. It's still one of the better buildings in the NBA.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Ben Wallace...20 years older than Dre and still looks rock solid like he hits the gym every day, while Dre continues to look dumpy like he can't find the gym. You can't teach effort and work ethic.

But he's only 23.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Pistons move out of The Palace was also fairly quick. The Red Wings have had a couple seasons to prepare and played this final season as a farewell season. The Pistons announcement to leave The Palace was in the middle of their final season. 

I agree. I think the fact that the Palace has aged so well actually works against it wrt fan sentimentality, too. The JLA is seen a pretty much a dump now, which creates a feeling of it being older than it really is. The era in which it was built was just before some of the more modern arenas started being built, and it truly feels of that late 70s era, whereas the Palace still feels modern.

First event I ever attended at the Palace was a George Michael concert right after it opened. 

Says so much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Ben Wallace...20 years older than Dre and still looks rock solid like he hits the gym every day, while Dre continues to look dumpy like he can't find the gym. You can't teach effort and work ethic.

****, even Buddah looks like he is still good for a few buckets in the post right now.  Dre needs to get it together.

14 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think there is a lot of love for The Palace. It was a revolutionary arena and created an arena boom across the country. It's still one of the better buildings in the NBA.

I think the atmosphere in The Palace is lacking compared to other buildings.  It's too cavernous and the fans are located too far from the court. It's a very "modern" arena in that sense.  I thought The Silverdome had a better atmosphere (at least the way it came off on TV) compared to The Palace. 

Based on what I've seen of the renderings, the new arena (I refuse to call it by that ridiculous corporate title) looks to have a more intimate setup which should make for a better atmosphere.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I think the atmosphere in The Palace is lacking compared to other buildings.  It's too cavernous and the fans are located too far from the court. It's a very "modern" arena in that sense.  I thought The Silverdome had a better atmosphere (at least the way it came off on TV) compared to The Palace. 

Based on what I've seen of the renderings, the new arena (I refuse to call it by that ridiculous corporate title) looks to have a more intimate setup which should make for a better atmosphere.

The Silverdome was great (at times) because of the kind of fan it appealed to.  They got eager fans into the seats as the team got better after about '86.  Before that, it was terrible because they were drawing crowds of like 8K.  Mind you, even with the curtain the Silverdome was set up to accommodate around 50K fans--expandable when the curtain was pulled back.

Those last few seasons they ran some really solid promotions to pack the house.  Bring in a Folger's coffee can, get into the game for $5--stuff like that.  Crowds over 30K, and of course Dr. J's goodbye tour which really brought people to the game.  I went to his last one, which turned out a then-record 52.7K.  That record was broken the following year when the Celtics came to town, and since that record has been broken at least twice in Atlanta and SA. It was a no-frills place to watch a game, which was a stark comparison to the Palace--which was a country club environment to the Silverdome's grimy-but energetic vibe.

magic-johnson-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-shoots-against-joe-dumars-of-picture-id134298848

On 4/12/2017 at 7:45 AM, mickeyb105 said:

****, even Buddah looks like he is still good for a few buckets in the post right now.  Dre needs to get it together.

im always good for a few buckets in the post.

• Like 1