Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Last Game at the Palace: Wizards @ Pistons

Game 81: 8:10 tip on TNT. 

Washington is the third straight opponent we've played that has nothing to play for. 

If only we could've won some games earlier in the season. 

A lot of former players making an appearance tonight.  Doesn't sound like Joe will be there.

Time for Joe to stop being a little *****.  

• Like 1

I don't see why Joe wouldn't want to be there. I bet he would get a nice reception, especially given how the team has done under SVG this season. 

It's a shame that this sad sack team is the one to close out The Palace.  Not too different than the Red Wings closing out The Joe, two successful franchises with great memories in their respective buildings closing them out with a wimper.

It's sort of fitting. 

Other than five or six years with the Bad Boys and six years with the Going to Work teams, this organization has been a joke.

• Like 1

3 titles in an arena is still pretty cool. Sad what we've become since the going to work team. I enjoyed the Hill era though too, despite the teal

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

It's sort of fitting. 

Other than five or six years with the Bad Boys and six years with the Going to Work teams, this organization has been a joke.

That's just not true at all in the modern era since Isiah was drafted. Outside of this recent 6-7 year stretch of futility, the Pistons only had a few years of awful stretches bridging the Bad Boys era to the Grant Hill era then the post-Hill trade to Going to Work era.  This recent stretch is the worst era BY FAR in the last 35 years and the team this season is arguably the most disappointing.

10 minutes ago, NYLion said:

That's just not true at all in the modern era since Isiah was drafted. Outside of this recent 6-7 year stretch of futility, the Pistons only had a few years of awful stretches bridging the Bad Boys era to the Grant Hill era then the post-Hill trade to Going to Work era.  This recent stretch is the worst era BY FAR in the last 35 years and the team this season is arguably the most disappointing.

It's true. Other than the times I mentioned you're looking at missed playoffs or first round exits.

23 times in your time frame they missed the playoffs or were bounced in the first round. Not exactly basketball royalty.

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It's true. Other than the times I mentioned you're looking at missed playoffs or first round exits.

23 times in your time frame they missed the playoffs or were bounced in the first round. Not exactly basketball royalty.

Barely missing the playoffs or being bounced in the 1st round isn't considered a "joke" IMO unless the team was predicted to be a Championship contender going into that season.  The 6 years leading up to last season was a joke organization.  Name 5 organizations that have had 2 long term Championship level eras like the Pistons have had in the last 30 years. 

Not saying that they are basketball royalty (that's reserved for the Celtics and Lakers) but they haven't been a joke of an organization outside of this recent era.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Barely missing the playoffs or being bounced in the 1st round isn't considered a "joke" IMO unless the team was predicted to be a Championship contender going into that season.  The 6 years leading up to last season was a joke organization.  Name 5 organizations that have had 2 long term Championship level eras like the Pistons have had in the last 30 years. 

Not saying that they are basketball royalty (that's reserved for the Celtics and Lakers) but they haven't been a joke of an organization outside of this recent era.

Not getting out of the first round is a joke.  Lets not pretend making the playoffs is some great achievement.  Over half of the teams in the conference make the playoffs.   23 out of 35 years they weren't relevant.  Not saying other organizations aren't worse.  But lets not pretend the Pistons are some great organization.  

3 titles actually ranks them fairly high among your non-Celtics, Lakers, Bulls organizations.

But this recent era has been pretty brutal. They haven't won a playoff GAME in 9 years. 

This makes for an interesting thought exercise. What does it take for a franchise to not be considered a joke over a 30 year period? 

Is it as simple as not being relevant for long stretches? Is there anything between being a contender and a joke?

Certainly the bad boys era was great, and the Going to work Pistons had a nice run. Everything post billions trade has been a joke. 

But I wonder about that period prior to the going to work Pistons. I guess that would be the grant hill era. I have little recollection of those teams, so that would seem to qualify as being a joke. 

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

It's sort of fitting. 

I always wonder what would have happened if Houston stays with Detroit for a few more seasons.  He and Hill were shaping up to be a nice tandem.  The team won 54 games without him, they challenge for the #2 seed with him that season IMO.  Would have been nice to stick it to the Bulls in an ECF one more time.

8 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I always wonder what would have happened if Houston stays with Detroit for a few more seasons.  He and Hill were shaping up to be a nice tandem.  The team won 54 games without him, they challenge for the #2 seed with him that season IMO.  Would have been nice to stick it to the Bulls in an ECF one more time.

Glad we didn't hand him that contract though. 

7 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Beno got absolutely screwed this year.  Dude played some good ball for us.

Didn't he say he wants to focus on coaching or something like that?

53 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Not getting out of the first round is a joke.  Lets not pretend making the playoffs is some great achievement.  Over half of the teams in the conference make the playoffs.   23 out of 35 years they weren't relevant.  Not saying other organizations aren't worse.  But lets not pretend the Pistons are some great organization.  

Again, name 5 organizations that have had more success than the Pistons in the last 30 years, basically since The Palace opened?  Lakers, Bulls, Spurs and ???

They aren't a model of Championship consistency but I fail to see how they have been a joke of an organization outside of the post-ECF Dumars years.  A few lean years in between Championship eras doesn't make them a joke organization.

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Again, name 5 organizations that have had more success than the Pistons in the last 30 years.  Lakers, Bulls, Spurs and ???

They aren't a model of Championship consistency but I fail to see how they have been a joke of an organization outside of the post-ECF Dumars years.

Miami and Boston.

Not a very compelling argument on your part.  I gave them credit for the two times they were good.  You can still be a joke the rest of the time.