Gehringer_2

2017 MLB Potpourri

Aaron Judge is just too damn fun to watch.

Hit 2 hrs today, the 1st one 495 feet.  

This team is finally watchable again..... 

Is it the end of a storied career? Well, maybe not storied, but at least long and fun:

Bartolo Colon DFA'd.

Colon was designated for assignment by the Braves on Thursday.

The writing for this move was on the wall, as manager Brian Snitker refused to commit to Colon sticking around following another poor start in Colon's return from the DL on Wednesday. Colon posted an ERA north of 8.00 in 13 starts with the Braves this season. This could be the end of the line for the 44-year-old, although the Mets, with whom Colon spent the 2014-16 seasons, may be interested in his services especially after Robert Gsellman went down with a hamstring strain earlier in the week.

On 6/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, smr-nj said:

Aaron Judge is just too damn fun to watch.

Hit 2 hrs today, the 1st one 495 feet.  

This team is finally watchable again..... 

In 2010, Aaron Judge was a three-sport star at Linden High.

This is him in high school. 

I'm just sayin....his neck is now twice the size it was then....

13 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

In 2010, Aaron Judge was a three-sport star at Linden High.

This is him in high school. 

I'm just sayin....his neck is now twice the size it was then....

So a picture of a 17 yr old boy compared with a 25 yr old young man couldn't possibly be different for any reason other than ... whatever it is you're " just sayin"?

If that makes you happy, sure. That must be the reason.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:11 PM, smr-nj said:

So a picture of a 17 yr old boy compared with a 25 yr old young man couldn't possibly be different for any reason other than ... whatever it is you're " just sayin"?

If that makes you happy, sure. That must be the reason.

Lots of things change between 17 and 25. Necks don't usually change to the degree his has. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

yeah - you can't argue with physics. Now what they don't really hit much in the article is that you still need the counter pitch to prevent guys from adjusting - we know from watching JV that (like even the best sinker) even a good rising fast ball gets zeroed in on if you can't throw anything off speed for a strike. But the strength of the high spin FB - I think - is that raising your swing plane in the middle of the swing is the most difficult adjustment to make so it it's still the best foundation pitch to work from.

They didn't mention it but I would have to suppose that the biggest natural advantage you could have to throwing the high spin FB would be just be long fingers so you had more length to roll the ball off as it released, but I don't know if anyone has looked at that. JV certainly has big hands. OTOH, while they didn't measure spin back in the day, we can guess from the incredibly high number of pop-ups Denny McLain induced that he must have been one of the great FB spinners, but Denny isn't that tall or long - at least to my eye.

On 10/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Khris Davis of the A's batted 0.247 this season, making it the 4th season in a row he hit exactly 0.247.

He hit 0.244 5 years ago.

kinda mind boggling that (C/K)hris Davis is both one of the very best and worst players in the AL.