Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I'm not sure it's correct to say Philadelphia is depending on internal development to improve.

They are adding Reddick, Fultz, Simmons, and Johnson to the mix.  None of those guys have every played for Philadelphia.  

Agree about Embiid though.  I doubt they can get to .500 if he doesn't give them at least 75 games.

Reddick and Johnson are role players.  Butler is a star and a 2 way star at that.  Not really a big Teague fan but he can probably fill the Rubio role adequately enough.

Also, the Minny youngsters are more established while the Sixers guys haven't proven anything mainly due to injury.  They have a few vet players sprinkled in but they are entirely dependent on those young guys staying healthy and carrying the load.

Embiid is an uber talent but I fear that he will always be one of those "what could have been had he been healthy" guys.  His long injury history going back to Kansas is giving me an Oden vibe. I hope like **** that he stays healthy because he's the most naturally gifted young player in the league and he does it in very entertaining fashion.

39 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

If Embiid gives them 75+ games I like the over, but its just too much of a wildcard.  

Over/under on games played by Embiid this season?

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Reddick and Johnson are role players.  Butler is a star and a 2 way star at that.  Not really a big Teague fan but he can probably fill the Rubio role adequately enough.

Also, the Minny youngsters are more established while the Sixers guys haven't proven anything mainly due to injury.  They have a few vet players sprinkled in but they are entirely dependent on those young guys staying healthy and carrying the load.

Embiid is an uber talent but I fear that he will always be one of those "what could have been had he been healthy" guys.  His long injury history going back to Kansas is giving me an Oden vibe. I hope like **** that he stays healthy because he's the most naturally gifted young player in the league and he does it in very entertaining fashion.

The more established Minnesota stars won 3 more games last year.  Not sure that is something to hang your hat on.

No clue what your point is about role/star players.  You said Philadelphia is entirely depending on internal development.  I listed those four players (3 that will start) because they have never played a single second for Philadelphia.  So no, they are not depending on internal development to improve.  

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Over/under on games played by Embiid this season?

There is no way to predict that.

Boston under 56.5 seems like a money maker too.  

If the Kyrie deal happens, they will only have 1 starter and 3 bench players from last years team.  That has to be pretty unprecedented.  

I mean, teams get blown up all the time and next years roster is totally different.  But a team that went to the conference finals and is expected to make a deep run again.  I doubt anyone has seen that type of roster turnover under those circumstances.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The more established Minnesota stars won 3 more games last year.  Not sure that is something to hang your hat on.

No clue what your point is about role/star players.  You said Philadelphia is entirely depending on internal development.  I listed those four players (3 that will start) because they have never played a single second for Philadelphia.  So no, they are not depending on internal development to improve.  

Their success won't hinge on Redick and Johnson's contributions.  Their success hinges on Embiid, Simmons and Fultz (internal development) while the Timberwolves success will be more driven by KAT, Wiggins, Butler and Teague.  Butler and Teague are more valuable contributors than Redick and Johnson to make long story short.

Furthermore, Towns and Wiggins are more established than Simmons, Embiid and Fultz.  Don't know what your argument is there.  Simmons and Fultz haven't even hit an NBA court yet and Embiid in a small sample size.

Regardless, we agree on a few things.  The Minny over/under number is a bit high mainly because they play in the west and the Sixers season hinges a lot on Embiid being healthy.

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

There is no way to predict that.

The history of injury-plagued centers who we drafted in the top-four is nuts.

This tribute was not extended this honor to Joe Berry-Carroll, who played a too many games in too many seasons to be classified as a guy who "could have been".  JBC was more chronically lazy than anything.

b666a2de-c566-41d7-ba68-0f3a81937326.jpg?refresh

69941a24-04c0-49f1-98dd-974c1002bf79.jpg

e4afba5d-7f67-4c43-a48f-48839a798d0b.jpg?refresh

2027-632190Bk.jpg

500full.jpg

d05c5479-9f7a-456e-b514-c49a8a67bc80.jpg?refresh

2192-676430Bk.jpg

bf4e7e70-f96b-4b7c-89e6-617ec7708491.jpg

7dea787c-4bfd-4ba2-ab81-bce46785d8a4.jpg?refresh

2075-148Bk.jpg

34 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Boston under 56.5 seems like a money maker too.  

If the Kyrie deal happens, they will only have 1 starter and 3 bench players from last years team.  That has to be pretty unprecedented.  

I mean, teams get blown up all the time and next years roster is totally different.  But a team that went to the conference finals and is expected to make a deep run again.  I doubt anyone has seen that type of roster turnover under those circumstances.  

Under sounds good here.

okafor's problem wasnt injury, it was thet he wasnt that good.  

i do remember dick vitale ranting that "how can you take dwight howard over emeka okafor, baby?  thats crazy, baby!"

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

i do remember dick vitale ranting that "how can you take dwight howard over emeka okafor, baby?  thats crazy, baby!"

I'm sure that stress fracture in his back and herniated C4 disc later in his career had no effect on his game or ability to keep the rest of his body healthy.  You should do defense work for an insurance company.  Okafor was plenty good.

Everyone liked Okafor personally, and that probably creeped into Vitale's views.  A hard-hat big with that kind of IQ (honors college finance major at UCONN, Academic AA) and defensive talent is a commodity.  Howard was certainly the right pick at #1, but bless his heart, he's been a trainwreck since leaving Orlando.

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'm sure that stress fracture in his back and herniated C4 disc later in his career had no effect on his game or ability to keep the rest of his body healthy.  You should do defense work for an insurance company.  Okafor was plenty good.

Everyone liked Okafor personally, and that probably creeped into Vitale's views.  A hard-hat big with that kind of IQ (honors college finance major at UCONN, Academic AA) and defensive talent is a commodity.  Howard was certainly the right pick at #1, but bless his heart, he's been a trainwreck since leaving Orlando.

he was a wide body with no offensive game other than put backs and below average athleticism.  a star player that is not.  a hard hat guy who works hard is more like it.

today i had a mediation with a lady with a hurt shoulder who demanded $1.5 million.  plaintiffs attorneys are the tools of the devil.

On 8/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, Buddha said:

latest rumor was that milwaukee never made that offer.

boston should stand firm and call cleveland's bluff.  or throw them a second round pick in 2020 and both sides can claim victory.

cough.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

he was a wide body with no offensive game other than put backs and below average athleticism.  a star player that is not.  a hard hat guy who works hard is more like it.

today i had a mediation with a lady with a hurt shoulder who demanded $1.5 million.  plaintiffs attorneys are the tools of the devil.

The below-average athleticism came after injuries.  He would have never been a star, but definitely a very useful rebounding/defending 5.

I could spam this thread with story after story about unscrupulous expert docs and defense attorneys who work for insurance companies, but I won't.   There are good and bad PAs, no doubt.  

And how many times does a demand start where a settlement ends?  Part of the game.

12 hours ago, Fenway said:

Looks very nice 

U5m0UIu.jpg

That does look great, has an old arena look to it.  It's going to be a great atmosphere with the close seating and steep sightlines unlike the cavernous Palace which was a morgue most of the time.

26 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

The below-average athleticism came after injuries.  He would have never been a star, but definitely a very useful rebounding/defending 5.

I could spam this thread with story after story about unscrupulous expert docs and defense attorneys who work for insurance companies, but I won't.   There are good and bad PAs, no doubt.  

And how many times does a demand start where a settlement ends?  Part of the game.

but then im "cheap" when i come back at 10,000.

if thats how you want to play the game, so be it.  i choose to have at least some basis in reality in my offers.  it didnt settle.

and you can spam articles planted by the plaintiff's bar all you want.  i can show you doctors who refuse to take medical insurance and instead take a cut of any settlement, then charge $250k for a cervical fusion that was never needed in the first place.  then recommend that it will have to happen again in five years, all to drive up the cost of the claim and the value to their lien with no consideration of whats good for the plaintiff.

the plaintiffs bar is full of people who want to make money for themselves with no regard for their clients who "employ" doctors who took an oath to "do no harm" but appear to take that as a "do no harm...to my pocketbook."

there is a special place in **** for doctor whores.  theyre sitting in the corner forced to listen to dick vitale talk about how great any player who went to college is going to be in the nba.

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if thats how you want to play the game, so be it.  i choose to have at least some basis in reality in my offers.  it didnt settle.

and you can spam articles planted by the plaintiff's bar all you want.  i can show you doctors who refuse to take medical insurance and instead take a cut of any settlement, then charge $250k for a cervical fusion that was never needed in the first place.  then recommend that it will have to happen again in five years, all to drive up the cost of the claim and the value to their lien with no consideration of whats good for the plaintiff.

the plaintiffs bar is full of people who want to make money for themselves with no regard for their clients who "employ" doctors who took an oath to "do no harm" but appear to take that as a "do no harm...to my pocketbook."

there is a special place in **** for doctor whores.  theyre sitting in the corner forced to listen to dick vitale talk about how great any player who went to college is going to be in the nba.

I wish you would start blogging again.

34 minutes ago, Buddha said:

To the bolded, I could provide dozens upon dozens of accounts from any of the three plaintiff's attorneys in my family--who needs the BAR?  I mean, when defense firms start writing settlement checks out of their own trusts, then the BAR can come in handy.  That complaint was filed with much apprehension, even though it was 100% the right thing to do.

The defense attorneys after they leave their corporate clients are the best.  Stories of company line being: "We are paying zero claims this year" are super refreshing to hear.   Such an attorney came off the case for perhaps the largest grocer in this region and gave some nice intel just clear his own conscience.  So not all of the defense attorneys are bad.  Lee Corso's son does defense down here and he was a good one.  So it is encouraging to know that good ones do exist.

When companies hide their security footage in an attempt to fade accountability, they are evil.  When companies want to pay a plaintiff a fraction of their policy limit for a life-altering injury, they are evil.  When attorneys wait until the absolute deadline to file motions that could have been filed weeks before cause gamesmanship, they are scumbags.  Even better when they try to wait out an elderly client to see if they die first.

Understatement of the century.  

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/31/report-desperate-at-small-forward-pelicans-work-out-josh-smith/

But New Orleans is searching for help.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN on The Woj Pod:

They have a workout there with, I’m told, Josh Smith, Chase Budinger, Martell Webster.

The last time Smith played small forward, it did not go well.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:42 PM, Buddha said:

Okafor would have had himself a nice Tyson CHandler career at worst. Too harsh

On 8/31/2017 at 9:03 AM, NYLion said:

That does look great, has an old arena look to it.  It's going to be a great atmosphere with the close seating and steep sightlines unlike the cavernous Palace which was a morgue most of the time.

I love the Palace for watching basketball, but sure this looks nice too

Okafor is attempting a comeback.  His agent was interviewed at the beginning of August and said he's probably 5 or 6 months away from being ready.  

Could be a nice pickup in February/March for a contender looking for 10-15 minutes from someone.  

18 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Okafor is attempting a comeback.  His agent was interviewed at the beginning of August and said he's probably 5 or 6 months away from being ready.  

Could be a nice pickup in February/March for a contender looking for 10-15 minutes from someone.  

If nothing else he can help put some of the young players on a budget.