Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

49 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Think he would turn down a MLE-type of offer?

Only if someone else was offering more.

$8M a year is a lot more than he will make in China I imagine.  And he isn't separated from his family.

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Only if someone else was offering more.

$8M a year is a lot more than he will make in China I imagine.  And he isn't separated from his family.

$8M for a guy to come off the bench 20 MIN every night and go 2/5 or better from 3pt range.  Worth it for a team that has no viable backup SG and nobody shooting 40% or over?

I wouldn't pay him that much.  He had a shot at the NBA and didn't cut it.  He was a 38% shooter from three that did absolutely nothing else on the court.

Anything under $5M and I'm interested.  Partially guaranteed first year, team option on the second.  I'll give him a completely guaranteed first year if he signs a 3 year deal with the last two both being team options.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I wouldn't pay him that much.  He had a shot at the NBA and didn't cut it.  He was a 38% shooter from three that did absolutely nothing else on the court.

Anything under $5M and I'm interested.  Partially guaranteed first year, team option on the second.  I'll give him a completely guaranteed first year if he signs a 3 year deal with the last two both being team options.  

I definitely wouldn't start at $8M, and $5M sounds pretty right to me.

This is a guy that shot the ball right around 40% after his rookie year.  Lots of great shooters struggle as rookies, lots of great shooters struggle when they change teams a bunch.  He shot 36% as a rookie then had two seasons where he 41.7 and 47.6%.

Can he be a Steve Kerr, Tim Legler or Craig Hodges?  I think that is pretty doable for him, given the right opportunity and role. 

Yes, averaging 37.6 PTS in China is likely meaningless.  But averaging 39.6% from 3pt on 11.5 ATT, I think that does have value even though the line is a bit shorter if I'm not mistaken.  Jimmer never had range problems IIRC.

If SVG is going to gamble on a shooter, why not a guy with something to prove?  The guy pretty much quit pumping iron during his Bulls/Pellies run, but is buff again.  He gets it--take care of yourself, keep playing pro ball.

I mentioned Legler and Kerr before, but both got big breaks when they were around Jimmer's age.  Seth Curry got his break this year, Jimmer gets one from somebody this year IMO.

It helped that Hodges and Kerr had guys like MJ and Duncan creating shots for them.

Doesn't matter anyway.  Every team in the league can offer him $5M.  He isn't picking Detroit if the money is the same.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

It helped that Hodges and Kerr had guys like MJ and Duncan creating shots for them.

Doesn't matter anyway.  Every team in the league can offer him $5M.  He isn't picking Detroit if the money is the same.

Hodges also started on a very good Cummings/Moncrief/Pierce/Pressey Bucks team that was swept by that Celtics team of destiny in the ECF in '86.  TC and Moncrief were such tough matchups back then.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

I don't think Jimmer is our answer, but he's interesting enough. 

I wish we had signed Curry last year :(

I would probably give Jamaal Franklin a hard look if I'm SVG.  Leading China in steals and averaging 30/9.6/9.5--35/36% 3pt the past few years.

The Pistons are in the 12th slot for the lottery.  Odds of picking:

1st - 0.7%

2nd - 0.8%

3rd - 1%

12th - 93.5%

13th - 3.9%

14th - 0.0% (They round off to 3 decimal places)

I think we are going to see some serious rumors this summer, culminating with a couple moves.

They have to sign KCP. Letting him walk for nothing would really hurt. His energy and defense is by far the best on our team.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The Pistons are in the 12th slot for the lottery.  Odds of picking:

1st - 0.7%

2nd - 0.8%

3rd - 1%

12th - 93.5%

13th - 3.9%

14th - 0.0% (They round off to 3 decimal places)

Get ready to pick 14th.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Get ready to pick 14th.

Probably.

Or worse.  They do move up and draft a future fat, drunk farmer from Serbia.  

2 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Some of those quotes from SVG yesterday were directed right at Andre.

Pure speculation on my part. But I wonder if SVG wants to trade Drummond and Gores won't let him.

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Pure speculation on my part. But I wonder if SVG wants to trade Drummond and Gores won't let him.

I think SVG has the keys to the car. If he wants him gone, he'll be gone.

I keep going back to Boston- I think their lack of rebounding will crush them against the Cavs. That opens the door for them to trade for Drummond this summer.

They have a need. They have assets. And they have the luxury of going small with Horford at C in crunch time when Drummond can't play.

7 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I think SVG has the keys to the car. If he wants him gone, he'll be gone.

I keep going back to Boston- I think their lack of rebounding will crush them against the Cavs. That opens the door for them to trade for Drummond this summer.

They have a need. They have assets. And they have the luxury of going small with Horford at C in crunch time when Drummond can't play.

I have a feeling Ainge will keep hoarding those picks.  The guy hasn't flinched so far, maybe he just sticks to his guns?

Drummond to LAL for their pick would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.  

Think Phil would part with Courtney Lee and his first for Dre?

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I have a feeling Ainge will keep hoarding those picks.  The guy hasn't flinched so far, maybe he just sticks to his guns?

Drummond to LAL for their pick would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.  

Think Phil would part with Courtney Lee and his first for Dre?

Don't they owe their first somewhere?

Drummond for Courtney Lee. Yikes. That speaks volumes to where his trade value could be, lol.

19 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Don't they owe their first somewhere?

Drummond for Courtney Lee. Yikes. That speaks volumes to where his trade value could be, lol.

I forgot to put: and this year's first.

LOL

I think Boston can fix it's rebounding problem without giving up the farm for a max guy like Drummond.

Everyone thought they should have traded that Jaylen Brown pick and look how good he looks this year.

35 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I think Boston can fix it's rebounding problem without giving up the farm for a max guy like Drummond.

Everyone thought they should have traded that Jaylen Brown pick and look how good he looks this year.

I wouldn't ask for the farm. I'd dump him for Avery Bradley and call it done. Bradley only has a year left on his deal and they have a lot of depth in the backcourt