Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

New and improved Andre?

That almost qualifies as giving someone the business. 

Luke had a rough game offensively, but DeRosan only scores 13--tough to be mad about that.

If Leuer really is the backup C, it means Ellenson may be in the rotation.  I don't hate that, but to me it means Leuer should be dealt for value if possible . . . maybe in a package.  Against teams like the Raptors, against a stiff like Poetl, Boban needs to earn his keep.  If they hit threes, they hit threes.  

SJ may just be a useful SF yet.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mickeyb105 said:

Luke had a rough game offensively, but DeRosan only scores 13--tough to be mad about that.

If Leuer really is the backup C, it means Ellenson may be in the rotation.  I don't hate that, but to me it means Leuer should be dealt for value if possible . . . maybe in a package.  Against teams like the Raptors, against a stiff like Poetl, Boban needs to earn his keep.  If they hit threes, they hit threes.  

SJ may just be a useful SF yet.

It would be beyond stupid to trade Leuer.  So the Pistons just might do it!

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It would be beyond stupid to trade Leuer.  So the Pistons just might do it!

Expiring deal, package him with Reggie or Drummond if the right opportunity presents itself.  Not sure why that is stupid, but OK.

21 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Expiring deal, package him with Reggie or Drummond if the right opportunity presents itself.  Not sure why that is stupid, but OK.

Leuer is not expiring.  He has this + 2 more years on his deal.

Drummond is already a difficult trade due to his salary.  $25M + another $2M or so for his trade kicker.  Then you want to add another $10M in Leuer money on top?  Almost impossible to move that much salary.  

Nevermind how hard the trade would be.  I am absolutely not sending out assets to dump these clowns.  And even if there was a remote possibility of talking me into it, I'm not letting the same idiots that signed these guys make the trade.

Leuer is on a very cap friendly contract.  He can backup both power positions and while not a full time starter, can give you emergency starts now and then for injuries and what not. That isn't a guy that should be traded.

add that to the 8 for 10 from the charity stripe for AD and you have the high hopes to be dashed by the end of November trifecta (looks like the first high hope of Jackson being his 2015 version is already dashed)

3 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

add that to the 8 for 10 from the charity stripe for AD and you have the high hopes to be dashed by the end of November trifecta (looks like the first high hope of Jackson being his 2015 version is already dashed)

What happened with Jackson?  Did he reaggravate the injury?

nothing particularly, but they're already talking about him starting the season on the bench. Was pretty rotten last night apparently. I know +/- is a terrible stat for the most part but he was -29 last night in just 20 mins, meanwhile Ish was 10-14 for 22 pts.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Leuer is not expiring.  He has this + 2 more years on his deal.

Drummond is already a difficult trade due to his salary.  $25M + another $2M or so for his trade kicker.  Then you want to add another $10M in Leuer money on top?  Almost impossible to move that much salary.  

Nevermind how hard the trade would be.  I am absolutely not sending out assets to dump these clowns.  And even if there was a remote possibility of talking me into it, I'm not letting the same idiots that signed these guys make the trade.

Leuer is on a very cap friendly contract.  He can backup both power positions and while not a full time starter, can give you emergency starts now and then for injuries and what not. That isn't a guy that should be traded.

One of the bigs has to go, and Leuer is desirable as an end-rotation piece come deadline.  He and Ellenson are going to be redundant pieces IMO.  I realize Leuer defends the perimeter better, and perhaps their difference really is that big of a deal to SVG.

Nobody gave the Tigers much of a chance to move Verlander a few years ago when they were incessantly bitching about his salary--nothing is impossible.  Melo was never going to be traded a few years ago, also.  Would the Pistons have to involve a third team in a Dre deal?  Maybe so.

I get that you don't trust SVG to build what you want to be the next competitive Detroit Pistons team, and maybe you are right.  But what he has done is gathered up some solid trade assets for in Harris, Bradley, Ish and Leuer.  Does this make up for maxing Drummond and paying for damaged goods in Reggie?  We don't know until the he finishes flipping to finish the build.  Clearly, if this is his finished product then he deserves to be fired and soon.

SVG needs to give Ellenson burn this year with the big club, and Boban is under contract for the next two seasons--something has to give.  Leuer's proven utility makes him attractive to playoff teams who need that kind of piece, and for the right piece he's the one that needs to go (if it isn't Harris).

38 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

One of the bigs has to go, and Leuer is desirable as an end-rotation piece come deadline.  He and Ellenson are going to be redundant pieces IMO.  I realize Leuer defends the perimeter better, and perhaps their difference really is that big of a deal to SVG.

Nobody gave the Tigers much of a chance to move Verlander a few years ago when they were incessantly bitching about his salary--nothing is impossible.  Melo was never going to be traded a few years ago, also.  Would the Pistons have to involve a third team in a Dre deal?  Maybe so.

I get that you don't trust SVG to build what you want to be the next competitive Detroit Pistons team, and maybe you are right.  But what he has done is gathered up some solid trade assets for in Harris, Bradley, Ish and Leuer.  Does this make up for maxing Drummond and paying for damaged goods in Reggie?  We don't know until the he finishes flipping to finish the build.  Clearly, if this is his finished product then he deserves to be fired and soon.

SVG needs to give Ellenson burn this year with the big club, and Boban is under contract for the next two seasons--something has to give.  Leuer's proven utility makes him attractive to playoff teams who need that kind of piece, and for the right piece he's the one that needs to go (if it isn't Harris).

None of the bigs need to be moved. 

Melo was always getting traded from Denver. The only question was if they traded him to New York or not. 

Ellenson and Boban do not need minutes if they haven't earned them. Neither can play defense so they shouldn't be on the court.

If the Pistons switch gears and decide to tank, trading Leuer and playing the terrible players makes sense. But not under their current direction.

Just now, Deleterious said:

Melo was always getting traded from Denver. The only question was if they traded him to New York or not. 

Ellenson and Boban do not need minutes if they haven't earned them. Neither can play defense so they shouldn't be on the court.

If the Pistons switch gears and decide to tank, trading Leuer and playing the terrible players makes sense. But not under their current direction.

Sorry for not being specific, but I was speaking on Melo being traded from NYK.  Melo is an idiot, could have been so much more.

Of course players should earn their burn.  We'll agree to disagree with the rest.  

51 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

nothing particularly, but they're already talking about him starting the season on the bench. Was pretty rotten last night apparently. I know +/- is a terrible stat for the most part but he was -29 last night in just 20 mins, meanwhile Ish was 10-14 for 22 pts.

Ok.  Well, I don't have high expectations for Reggie anyway and I don't think SVG does either based on the Calloway signing so any positive contribution from Reggie is a bonus.

This might be a good year to shoot for a high draft pick, this draft is supposed to be loaded although we know how fluid draft rankings can be.

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Ok.  Well, I don't have high expectations for Reggie anyway and I don't think SVG does either based on the Calloway signing so any positive contribution from Reggie is a bonus.

This might be a good year to shoot for a high draft pick, this draft is supposed to be loaded although we know how fluid draft rankings can be.

The east is so bad that it might be harder to tank than make the playoffs.

20 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The east is so bad that it might be harder to tank than make the playoffs.

Unfortunately that's true.  I can't think of 8 teams that are clearly better than the Pistons on paper so the Pistons would have to take a large season long dump to even miss the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Both have potential to contribute without being even average defenders I'd argue.

• Thanks 1

SVG doesn't give a definitive answer when asked who will start at PG. Sign of something to come or just baseless speculation?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/45378/rumor-central-will-stan-van-gundy-stick-with-reggie-jackson

I really have no problem with Ish being the starter. They played better with him at the helm last year and not much looks to have changed. None of the PGs on this roster have a ceiling any higher than their current output in my eyes. The real issue with it is that Reggie continues to plummet in value and you're probably stuck with him for 3 years as a ~17 million dollar backup (and probably a locker room problem) once you've given his starting job away.

Huge swing and miss by SVGM with the Reggie contract.