Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Pistons were 0-4 last year against Indiana.

Can they beat them in an exhibition game?

If the Pistons beat the Pacers in exhibition and nobody is around to see it, did it actually happen?

all the talk was that stan paid $7 million a year for a guy who never plays because we knew baynes would walk and boban would be his replacement.

if he's still not the primary backup then you'll have to explain to me why they wasted $7 million a year on him.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It's hard to play Boban against smaller C's.  As he is scoring 2's he is probably giving up 3's.

Make non-elite shooting teams do guard Boban and dare them to jack up more threes than normal.  If a team's second unit starts raining down threes because Boban isn't coming out to defend threes, then I say just live with that for the 15-18 minutes he's out there.  It will happen perhaps a few times, but does it outweigh guys who shoot in the low 30% range jacking it up who are all of a sudden given the green light?  Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The box score listed attendance at over 14K.

R5Iicfr.jpg

The quality of cell phone pics today floors me.  

51 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Make non-elite shooting teams do guard Boban and dare them to jack up more threes than normal.  If a team's second unit starts raining down threes because Boban isn't coming out to defend threes, then I say just live with that for the 15-18 minutes he's out there.  It will happen perhaps a few times, but does it outweigh guys who shoot in the low 30% range jacking it up who are all of a sudden given the green light?  Thoughts?

And what do you do when they start putting him in PnR situations?  Can't switch him onto a PG.  Cant really hedge because he is so slow.  The PG defender will be at a huge disadvantage.  

If he can shoot 60-65% from the field, no problem then.  He can keep pace shooting that well.  I just don't think he can do that when people start running him all over the perimeter.  I think he will wear down and that will impact his offense.  

Oh man.

Based strictly on talent, I give him this all day every day.

Based on health, I don't know if I could pull that trigger.  

I guess that helps some.  Depends on how much they can get out of if he gets hurt again.

Sources: Joel Embiid OKs five-year, $148M deal with Sixers

The deal represents the Sixers' commitment to Embiid's talent, given that he's been healthy enough to play in only 31 regular-season games since Philadelphia selected him with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft.

Embiid, 23, has become among the NBA's most talented and popular young players, and the extension solidifies him as a cornerstone of the franchise's future.

The deal will include some salary-cap protection for the 76ers should Embiid suffer injury that causes him to miss significant playing time, league sources said.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

And what do you do when they start putting him in PnR situations?  Can't switch him onto a PG.  Cant really hedge because he is so slow.  The PG defender will be at a huge disadvantage.  

If he can shoot 60-65% from the field, no problem then.  He can keep pace shooting that well.  I just don't think he can do that when people start running him all over the perimeter.  I think he will wear down and that will impact his offense.  

Where I'm at with Boban/SVG, I guess, is I want Boban to prove he can't handle a consistent role in a way that makes Detroit a better basketball team.  With the kind of money laid on him, it makes sense to find out IMO.

36 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I'm just going to have Embiid buy me a new one.  

i'd trade anyone on detroit for embiid. 

Jackson looked decent for a guy who hasn't played much basketball.

Bullock and Tolliver gave them solid minutes. Nobody played much for Indiana. Pistons won by 10. Kennard and Ellenson look 2 steps behind everything on the defensive end. 

They play again tonight.

I read that Bradley's ankle isn't serious, and that SVG wants to see how Jackson responds on a back to back. Seems like an experiment that will fail. No reason to push him early in the season when we have a capable backup.

They are off until Friday after tonight. I assume we see a full squad for at least a half then.

20 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I read that Bradley's ankle isn't serious, and that SVG wants to see how Jackson responds on a back to back. Seems like an experiment that will fail. No reason to push him early in the season when we have a capable backup.

They are off until Friday after tonight. I assume we see a full squad for at least a half then.

Part of it is to just get Reggie's conditioning back. 

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

It's in Toronto tonight.

Take a train, buy a ticket, and watch in person. *thumbs up*

I gotta be honest.  The warmer temps extending into October combined with the earlier tip off to the season (and probably the malaise of last season) is making it seem like it isn't time yet.  But here we are, a week from games that count.

27 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I gotta be honest.  The warmer temps extending into October combined with the earlier tip off to the season (and probably the malaise of last season) is making it seem like it isn't time yet.  But here we are, a week from games that count.

Pretty crazy, right?  Although I must say that the off-season seemed especially long this year for some reason.  Maybe because of the anticipation after replacing two starters going into the season?  Not sure.