Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The shrinking cap is a concern for Detroit.

Not for anything related to KCP since his deal will be a percentage of the cap. But the guys who already have deals have hard numbers and they now take up a larger percentage of the cap.

What do you mean? 

6 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

What do you mean? 

Let's say the Pistons have $100M in committed salary.

The original cap projection was $107 then $103 and now $101. Each time that drops so does the luxury tax. But the Pistons salary commitment remained at $100M. So each time the projection drops it puts them closer to the luxury tax. 

The percentage each player will eat up of the cap next year.  Also the luxury tax, which is probably more important.  KCP will obviously go up when he signs his new deal.

Name 2017-18 Percent of Cap Percent of Luxury Tax
Andre Drummond $23,775,506 24% 20%
Tobias Harris $16,000,000 16% 13%
Reggie Jackson $16,000,000 16% 13%
Jon Leuer $10,497,319 10% 9%
Boban Marjanovic $7,000,000 7% 6%
Aron Baynes $6,500,000 6% 5%
Ish Smith $6,000,000 6% 5%
Josh Smith (stretched) $5,331,729 5% 4%
Marcus Morris $5,000,000 5% 4%
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope $9,195,797 9% 8%
Stanley Johnson $3,097,800 3% 3%
Reggie Bullock $5,639,111 6% 5%
Henry Ellenson $1,780,800 2% 1%
Beno Udrih $1,471,382 1% 1%
Darrun Hilliard $1,471,382 1% 1%
Michael Gbinije $1,312,611 1% 1%
#11 Pick (2017 draft) $2,033,500 2% 2%
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Let's say the Pistons have $100M in committed salary.

The original cap projection was $107 then $103 and now $101. Each time that drops so does the luxury tax. But the Pistons salary commitment remained at $100M. So each time the projection drops it puts them closer to the luxury tax. 

Ah ok, I misunderstood the cap projections. 

Reggie and Drummond simply eat way too much of your cap for players that aren't a positive when they're on the court. Start your trade talks with those two offseason, use whatever others you need to sweeten the pot to move those two, and pay KCP.

i have a feeling that if they dont trade andre he will become a whipping boy for fans and boo birds due to his big contract and lack of effort.

this has josh smith 2.0 written all over it.

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Reggie and Drummond simply eat way too much of your cap for players that aren't a positive when they're on the court. Start your trade talks with those two offseason, use whatever others you need to sweeten the pot to move those two, and pay KCP.

I don't know if I am for, or against dumping AD or Reggie at this point.

I still believe patience is the smarter move over the panic move/ panic trade. But maybe AD can never find the damn light switch, and the best we saw of Reggie was a season ago, not this past one or any future season.

I will say this: The time to trade Reggie or AD is NOT this off-season. I don't think other teams will even be interested in either one, certainly not at any kind of value whatsoever. And I don't see trading them for nothing as "addition by subtraction". So we're back to being patient.

Any chance at making a trade work with either of those two starts at next year's trade deadline, after Reggie has shown that he's healthy enough to be relied upon, and has rehabilitated his on-floor capabilities, at least to the extent that that is possible. And for AD... I don't know if anyone has any interest in trading for him if he's nothing but a loafer/ under-performer. We're almost stuck with him at this point. So... I still don't see a trade for him this off-season. Don't see it happening. Don't know when he would become tradeable either... so it's not as if I have any answers.

With regards to THIS off-season: I think Tobias, Morris, and Leuer are eminently more tradeable than AD or Reggie. Stanley too if SVG wants to go that route. 

I think Baynes will opt out; which means SVG holds onto Boban possessively.

Look at other players for trade possibilities I guess is what I'm saying...

Drummond is the first guy to go. He simply takes up way too much of the cap for what he gives you. 

Id rather ship him off for a shooter and sign back Baynes. Better defense. No more wasted possessions on this post ups. And no more free throw woes. 

42 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Drummond is the first guy to go. He simply takes up way too much of the cap for what he gives you. 

Id rather ship him off for a shooter and sign back Baynes. Better defense. No more wasted possessions on this post ups. And no more free throw woes. 

That's the first guy that YOU want to let go.

I'm pretty certain you know SVG ain't a-gonna do that...

2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

With regards to THIS off-season: I think Tobias, Morris, and Leuer are eminently more tradeable than AD or Reggie. Stanley too if SVG wants to go that route. 

Sure they are, but they aren't the real problem. Trading them would just be making a move for the sake of making one. Look at the performance of this team with certain players on and off the court - it should be pretty clear what needs to happen. Besides, Morris and Stanley are taking almost none of your cap. Those guys are great for sweetening the pot for someone to take Drummond or Reggie, but moving them on their own isn't bringing you back anything useful.

8 hours ago, Betrayer said:

They were both a solid positive in terms of on/off just a year ago though, so I don't think you can sit here and say its impossible that they are quite useful to us. 

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

They were both a solid positive in terms of on/off just a year ago though, so I don't think you can sit here and say its impossible that they are quite useful to us. 

so what do you think happened this year?  why were they so bad?  is drummond's value that dependent on reggie?

5 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

That's the first guy that YOU want to let go.

I'm pretty certain you know SVG ain't a-gonna do that...

Have you watched this team this season?

I'm the biggest critic of Drummond you'll find. So go ahead and take that with a grain of salt. 

I'm willing to give Jackson another chance next season because of the injury. But Andre's severely limited game has become a liability for the Pistons. The defense, the foul shooting, the post ups. Just sick and tired of it all at this point. The guy is about to begin his 6th season. He's not a young pup anymore. He pretty much is what he is at this point. 

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

is drummond's value that dependent on reggie?

I have to think that since Andre and Reggie are BFF, when the rest of team found out it liked playing without Reggie that put Andre on the other side of that clubhouse divide.

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

so what do you think happened this year?  why were they so bad?  is drummond's value that dependent on reggie?

I want to give Reggie a chance to show that he can get healthy and I do think Drummond needs a good pick and roll PG. They both need more shooting around them for their styles to work I think. Drummond clearly has to take less jump hooks and figure out how to hit FTs though or he'll probably keep regressing. 

10 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I'm the biggest critic of Drummond you'll find. So go ahead and take that with a grain of salt. 

I'm willing to give Jackson another chance next season because of the injury. But Andre's severely limited game has become a liability for the Pistons. The defense, the foul shooting, the post ups. Just sick and tired of it all at this point. The guy is about to begin his 6th season. He's not a young pup anymore. He pretty much is what he is at this point. 

I mean, he is 23...

29 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I mean, he is 23...

that's not so easy a question - which do you go by - calendar years or basketball years? Maybe for those aspects of his game that are discipline related like defense, 23 vs 25 counts, but I'm doubting more calendar time helps his shooting. Always a mixed picture with Drummond.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

I mean, he is 23...

But he's 5 years into his career. Three entire seasons now with SVG. 

Has his foul shooting improved? 

Has his defense improved? 

Has the post up game improved? 

I would only say yes to the last one, and he's still absolutely terrible at it. 

I would ship him off for a shooter this summer in a heartbeat. 

Andre has at least two or three shots a game where I think "has this person even held a basketball before? even seen one? I'm not sure" I'd like to see that reduced

Another big change coming with the new CBA. Rosters are going up by two.

The two new roster slots are for G-League players. Teams can assign two players to the G-League. They won't make NBA money and the team will maintain their rights. Currently G-League players can be signed by any team.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 11:35 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

that's not so easy a question - which do you go by - calendar years or basketball years? Maybe for those aspects of his game that are discipline related like defense, 23 vs 25 counts, but I'm doubting more calendar time helps his shooting. Always a mixed picture with Drummond.

Maybe, but when rookies were older than you, I'm not sure you are long on basketball years. I don't think his FT shooting will improve shooting over hand, but I do think his D will get better in his physical/mental prime. Around this age people thought Deandre Jordan was a stat compiler on D who didn't play good defense over all. 

I also think it will be interesting to see how he is used going forward. SVG, IMO, has fed him post up attempts consistently in order to try and develop him as the "1 in", but its becoming more and more apparent that he isn't that player

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

Another big change coming with the new CBA. Rosters are going up by two.

The two new roster slots are for G-League players. Teams can assign two players to the G-League. They won't make NBA money and the team will maintain their rights. Currently G-League players can be signed by any team.

Great move