Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

33 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

And you will be the first to complain they didn't get enough. 

Damn straight!

12 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I still think I would be pretty content with Drummond if he could clean up the FT shooting.

Yeah, and my wife would be pretty content if I looked like George Clooney.  Ain't happenin.

I would be content if he tried on defense consistently and turned himself into DeAndre Jordan.  

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Yeah, and my wife would be pretty content if I looked like George Clooney.  Ain't happenin.

I would be content if he tried on defense consistently and turned himself into DeAndre Jordan.  

I would  take the defense and effort over the free throws any day. I don't want us running offense through him in the post anyway because those are wasted possessions. Doesn't matter because neither of those things are going to happen.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Your wife would probably settle for George Wendt.

His defense isn't even comparable to his FT problem. He fixes that and he's palatable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Your wife would probably settle for George Wendt.

His defense isn't even comparable to his FT problem. He fixes that and he's palatable.

my wife did settle for george wendt.

he is a much betfer player if he fixes his defense.  also, it is much more likely that he can fix his defense than his free throws.  defense can at least partially be rectified through hard work and effort.  it may just not be possible for him to be a good shooter because he lacks the coordination to do it.

• Like 1

I'm fine with his D as developing. He hasn't hit his prime yet in terms of big man defense. Agreed that the FTs are a much bigger issue. Shoot underhanded and stop shooting jump hooks .

I agree with Del that I'm probably too hard on Drummond. But when you're making 25 percent of the cap, you're going to have high expectations. 

His defense isn't that great, but I do agree that his elite rebounding really helps his defense. Saving possessions a different way, I guess. 

They have a nice, young core of Drummond, KCP, and Harris. 

What does Jackson even fetch in a trade at this point? I've said ship him to Sacramento for Afflalo's non-guaranteed 12.5 million. Get some cap flexibility.  

9 minutes ago, Buddha said:

my wife did settle for george wendt.

he is a much betfer player if he fixes his defense.  also, it is much more likely that he can fix his defense than his free throws.  defense can at least partially be rectified through hard work and effort.  it may just not be possible for him to be a good shooter because he lacks the coordination to do it.

But he can't be on the court the last few minutes of a game if he doesn't fix the FT issue.

28 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I'm fine with his D as developing. He hasn't hit his prime yet in terms of big man defense. Agreed that the FTs are a much bigger issue. Shoot underhanded and stop shooting jump hooks .

his defense isnt developing.  i would argue he is worse now than he was when he got here.  at least then he tried.

21 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

But he can't be on the court the last few minutes of a game if he doesn't fix the FT issue.

in a perfect world he would fix both.

however, id rather see effort for 40 minutes than the possibility that he might make 50% of his free throws in the last two.  

41 minutes ago, Buddha said:

in a perfect world he would fix both.

however, id rather see effort for 40 minutes than the possibility that he might make 50% of his free throws in the last two.  

36 minutes since he will have to sit the last 4.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I agree with Del that I'm probably too hard on Drummond. But when you're making 25 percent of the cap, you're going to have high expectations. 

His defense isn't that great, but I do agree that his elite rebounding really helps his defense. Saving possessions a different way, I guess. 

They have a nice, young core of Drummond, KCP, and Harris. 

What does Jackson even fetch in a trade at this point? I've said ship him to Sacramento for Afflalo's non-guaranteed 12.5 million. Get some cap flexibility.  

I think Jackson's trade value is zero until he proves to be healthy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

What is a millenial athlete?  Is Andre Drummond any less of a flake than Dwight Howard?  SVG got to the finals with that guy.  Was Rashard Lewis any more of a psychological winner than Tobias Harris?  SVG yells and screams and wears out his welcome with NBA players.  They guys ten years ago in Orlando didnt like it anymore than the guys in Miami any more than the guys in Detroit.

I don't think its a generational thing, I think SVG bet it all on a Reggie/Andre pick and roll and Reggie can't roll and Andre half asses his picks.  The team's offense is pretty predictable and predictably easy to stop.

Howard and Lewis are what SVG wants Drummond and Harris to be.  The problem is that the latter two are less assertive than the former two.

The free throw shooting becomes much less of an issue if he's Deandre Jordan, scoring on hustle and put-backs rather than holding the ball and trying to run the offense through him. Problem is he thinks he's a offensive threat from the block and I don't think his fragile ego could take it if they told him he's only going to be a cleanup guy on that end. Most of the time when SVG benches Drummond it's because his defense is atrocious. Zero instinct, zero hustle, zero timing, zero IQ. That's the main reason I want him moved. If he was Howard, or even Deandre Jordan, on the defensive end I could forgive everything else including the free throws.

Except those guys were close enough to 50% you could keep them in games. 

It doesn't matter how good your defense is. If your FT shooting is in the 30s you're going to be on the bench in close games.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Has a 14 and 14 guy ever had as much **** talked about him as Drummond has?

Seriously....and he does it...as we all say, ad naseum, despite the fact that he only really tries half the time. This is the first year he's faced true adversity in that he should have been the leader of a team that goes to the playoffs and instead they failed. It's going to be the first off-season where he reads about how the team should be trying to move him and how much he under-achieved in 2017. At the end of the day, we dont' know if he'll ever "get it" but next year will definitely be the answer IMO. He'll either throw himself into improving in the off-season and start doing the things he needs to or he won't. Either way, he'll still be a unique talent that brings more to a team then the average player, but we will certainly have to find a way to build around someone other than him. Maxing out KCP will make that a little easier, thought I dont' have any faith in KCP being able to be the focal point of an offense.

I still for the life of me can't see how his fall off after coming back from his injury hasn't been THE story of the 2nd half because without a doubt, that's one of the top 3 reasons we had to continue allowing Reggie and AD to be our offensive focus. He comes back the same guy and I think you would have seen him take over as the focal point.

10 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I would  take the defense and effort over the free throws any day. I don't want us running offense through him in the post anyway because those are wasted possessions...

I would be on board with this.

Might not happen, but I don't want to give up just yet either...

If we could only stick Ben Wallace next to him... I think AD's D and effort would get straightened out relatively quickly. As in... immediately.

So let's assume KCP gets a max deal. 

That means that Drummond, KCP, Jackson, and Harris will be making roughly 80 percent of the Pistons cap next season. 

Yeah, I think a trade is coming. 

26 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

So let's assume KCP gets a max deal. 

That means that Drummond, KCP, Jackson, and Harris will be making roughly 80 percent of the Pistons cap next season. 

Yeah, I think a trade is coming. 

Why?

the best team in this town is a .500 lions team.  

now is the hour of our discontent....

• Like 1

The shrinking cap is a concern for Detroit.

Not for anything related to KCP since his deal will be a percentage of the cap. But the guys who already have deals have hard numbers and they now take up a larger percentage of the cap.