Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

31 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Both have potential to contribute without being even average defenders I'd argue.

Potential fools a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

SVG doesn't give a definitive answer when asked who will start at PG. Sign of something to come or just baseless speculation?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/45378/rumor-central-will-stan-van-gundy-stick-with-reggie-jackson

I really have no problem with Ish being the starter. They played better with him at the helm last year and not much looks to have changed. None of the PGs on this roster have a ceiling any higher than their current output in my eyes. The real issue with it is that Reggie continues to plummet in value and you're probably stuck with him for 3 years as a ~17 million dollar backup (and probably a locker room problem) once you've given his starting job away.

Huge swing and miss by SVGM with the Reggie contract.

Can't blame SVGM on the injury can you? I guess he had a history so maybe...gotta think without the injury it was a great deal.

As for Ish starting, I'm not sure why all the gloom and doom thoughts if he does. We were a .500 team with him starting last year...in this years East a .500 team last year is probably a 45 win team this year.

Still think Jackson would flourish playing as the 6th man. He would get all the touches and shots he wants against backups.

Ish would facilitate the offense much better for Harris and Bradley.

Ish and SJ on the floor together is a nightmare, although Leuer may play more.

2 hours ago, DaBishop said:

Can't blame SVGM on the injury can you? I guess he had a history so maybe...gotta think without the injury it was a great deal.

As for Ish starting, I'm not sure why all the gloom and doom thoughts if he does. We were a .500 team with him starting last year...in this years East a .500 team last year is probably a 45 win team this year.

He's the GM and he signed the guy to a long term contract. There's nobody else to blame. As you said, Reggie had some history with this and he also came in with the breathing/asthma issues that are a serious problem for a guy you expect to be on the court for 35 minutes a night. That's before we even get into the previous locker room stuff and the question of whether or not you think Reggie's ceiling was higher if his knee wasn't injured (which I'm not so sure of). It's mostly hindsight for us fans, but it's SVGM's job to see it coming. And yeah, maybe it's not all completely under his control, but that's the role and the responsibility that comes with it. 

There's no doom and gloom from me on Ish starting. I like Ish's attitude, effort, and court vision much better than Reggie's. They both have their limitations in different areas and I don't see the Pistons as more than a 500 team with either of them at the helm, so whatever is best. My doom and gloom was only about our prospects of getting any value at all for Reggie once he gets benched and what infection will fester in the locker room as a result.

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Potential fools a lot of people.

That’s what I told my wife.  After the vows. 

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

damn.  i hope joel embiid can stay healthy.  guy can play.

It's crazy how good he looks out there considering he's barely played basketball the past 2-3 years.

44 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It's crazy how good he looks out there considering he's barely played basketball the past 2-3 years.

He's the most naturally gifted of all the young players including Anthony Davis and KAT. Just a freak of nature.  It would be a shame if he never realized that potential, I have big doubts to be honest.

I just don't think Embiid will stay healthy, even with the extreme minutes restriction/time off he will get for a guy who is only 23. Guys his size who have had back, knee and foot problems always scare me. 

38.5 seems like such a low win total for Detroit.

If I haven't been burned so bad by them in the past few years, I think I would jump on that.

I believe tonight's final preseason game is on FSD. 8:40 tip in Milwaukee.

Real stuff begins Tuesday.... Wednesday for most of the league though.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Real stuff begins Tuesday.... Wednesday for most of the league though.

Let's just get through the night without any injuries. Would be nice to see the starting lineup get some work though. 

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Nothing too crazy in here to be honest.  Monroe winning sixth man of the year might be the craziest.

He predicts the Pistons trade Harris this summer and keep Bradley.

32 crazy predictions: LeBron's future, a bunch of trades and more

Could see that happening, especially if Ellenson's defense improves and the front office thinks he can play big minutes at the 4 next season. 

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Nothing too crazy in here to be honest.  Monroe winning sixth man of the year might be the craziest.

Crazy predictions, none of which are actually crazy.  I guess Monroe winning 6th man is kind of crazy but every single prediction is feasible if not likely.

Some interesting takes by Lowe here.

The Hawks trading Shroder would positively shock me.  Trading Bazemore seems logical if you believe in Prince's ceiling.

Talk of how the Mavs could possibly deal for Jordan is LOL, considering the history there.

It seems like Memphis needs to do something big to start a rebuild.  Gasol and Conley will help them approach .500 basketball but it seems like there are teams that would give them solid assets for at least one of the two of them.

It seems like Boston should make a deal for a defense-minded big, but it doesn't seem like that is a priority for Ainge.

3 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Pretty sure that's only on FSWI, not FSD.

A defensive big probably makes sense for Boston. But they have made so many changes i would just chill until January and reevaluate then.

27 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

A defensive big probably makes sense for Boston. But they have made so many changes i would just chill until January and reevaluate then.

Certainly the right thing to do now that the season is starting.  

2 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Some interesting takes by Lowe here.

The Hawks trading Shroder would positively shock me.  Trading Bazemore seems logical if you believe in Prince's ceiling.

Talk of how the Mavs could possibly deal for Jordan is LOL, considering the history there.

It seems like Memphis needs to do something big to start a rebuild.  Gasol and Conley will help them approach .500 basketball but it seems like there are teams that would give them solid assets for at least one of the two of them.

It seems like Boston should make a deal for a defense-minded big, but it doesn't seem like that is a priority for Ainge.

I'd love to see Cleveland go after one or both of Conley and Gasol

and then everyone is eligible to be dealt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

A defensive big probably makes sense for Boston.

How about Dre?

Oh wait, you said "defensive". So, I guess not.