Sydney_Fife

2017 Pistons Offseason Thread

Might as well start it up. With this time off and the recent struggles, figure it'll be dead around here. 

Restricted FA's:

KCP, Bullock

Player option:

Baynes 

Unrestricted:

Beno

• Like 1

I'd personally love to see us trade Drummond to Boston for Avery Bradley. 

Bradley is a great defender and is shooting above 40 percent from distance this year. He's also only a couple years older than KCP. 

Boston is a terrible rebounding team. They're about to pay IT this summer, plus they have Smart, Rozier, and likely another guard with the Nets pick. Bradley with a year left on his deal is expendable.

If you pull that off, I'd let KCP walk. Let him take the max deal with Brooklyn or Philly. I'll take Bradley at 1/3 of the price. 

Id turn around and find a center. They could sign back Baynes. But you'd definitely take the money saved and sign a shooter. Korver is available and could be had. He'd be a great fit off the bench with Ish. 

I feel like Drummond  and KCP for Bradley(who needs an extension), old *** Korver and Baynes probably doesn't make us better...

9 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

I feel like Drummond  and KCP for Bradley(who needs an extension), old *** Korver and Baynes probably doesn't make us better...

KCP and Bradley are pretty much the same player. 

Korver may be old, but this team needs veteran presence. And shooting. He's a huge upgrade on Bullock. 

Drummond is a better player than Baynes. But Baynes does things this team desperately needs. He actually plays defense. We don't have to waste possession after possession watching those awful hook shots and free throws anymore. 

We would lose a lot on the glass, but we would have Boban off the bench too. 

Sure, they could lose Bradley after 1 year. But I'll take the flexibility instead of paying 25 percent of my cap to a slug like Drummond. That contract, as I thought it would be, is an albatross. 

pro sports league organization is screwed up. You would never tell a player that the way to get better is to become bad. That runs counter to any kind of sport or competitive ideal, yet in almost all of our pro leagues today, the best way to better is to become terrible. I'm getting to the point were I would like to see all leagues grant draft choices by completely random draw. A way needs to be found for competent front offices to have better teams than incompetent ones other than giving their fans 2-4 years of losing product. 

First thing.

There is a new CBA going into effect July 1st.  New rule changes so some things could be a bit different.

One that might impact KCP and the Pistons.  Teams only have 2 days to match offer sheets now.  But this is the NBA, so nothing can be that easy!  Players can now sign offer sheets during the roster moratorium from July 1st-6th.  But the 2 day clock doesn't start until the 6th.  

So teams technically only have 2 days to match.  But if a player signs an offer sheet on July 1st, the 2 days to match doesn't start until the 6th, well it probably actually starts the 7th.

All of the exceptions (Mid, vets, room, etc) are going up 45%.  Same with the rookie scale contracts.  These changes don't kick in until the 2018 season and they will be phased in over 3 years.  So it doesn't really impact this summer other than future planning.

I'm sure there will be a lot more rule changes we find out as time goes on.

Key Dates for the summer.

April 12th - Regular season ends.  Teams no in the playoffs are free to start making trades again.  As teams are eliminated from the playoffs they can also start to make trades.

May 9-14 - Draft combine.

May 16th - Draft lottery.

June 22nd - Draft

June 30th - All team/player options have to be exercised by this date at 11:59PM.  Some contracts have language in them to set this date earlier, but nothing can happen after this date/time.

July 1st-6th - Roster moratorium.  Players become free agents.  Rosters are frozen.  No trades or free agent signings allowed.  I think you can sign draft picks, but not sure.  This is also the time that the league figures and announces the official salary cap number.  The one change this year that I mentioned above, restricted free agents can sign offer sheets during this time.  

Early July - Summer league usually starts around the 1st.

• Like 1

Salary cap situation.  

The projected salary cap for 2017-18 is $103M.  $122M is the projected luxury tax.

I have included salary numbers for the 11th pick in the draft.  Obviously the Pistons can move up/down from there.

jWfRwd2.png

Cap space and/or free agency

SF covered the Pistons free agent situation.

Cap space:

As is (No cuts or options exercised): $0

Max available (Cut anyone and everyone they can): $6,483,346

The Pistons will have the MLE to use.   I think starting this summer it will be around $8.5M.  They can spend that even if they are over the cap.  What they can't do is combine it with cap space.  So say they did cut everyone they could and ended up with that $6.4M in cap space.  They don't get $6.4 + $8.5M for a total of $14.9M.  You have to subtract cap space from the MLE.  If anything from the MLE is left over you can use that + the cap space.  An easier way to say that, anyone with under $8.5M in cap space only gets that $8.5M to spend.  

Free agent lists/trackers:

List - http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17905807/nba-free-agents-2017-2018

Tracker - http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ (Can sort by position/team)

Tracker - http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/future_free_agents/2018/All/Per_Game/0/NBA/player (Can sort by position/team)

in other words, they have created a roster that will finish 10 games under 500 in a horrible conference but is maxed out and will be in the luxury tax if they decide to re-sign their starting shooting guard.

what a great gm we have.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

in other words, they have created a roster that will finish 10 games under 500 in a horrible conference but is maxed out and will be in the luxury tax if they decide to re-sign their starting shooting guard.

what a great gm we have.

it's worse than that isn't it? Can they even unload? If you are going to tank you have to get payroll down to where you can afford an empty arena and bad ratings for a couple of years. You would do that by trading for expiring contracts right? But who is going to take a pouting Drummond or a gimpy Jackson at their money? In the immortal works of Dave Dombrowski "You try to trade him!"

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

what a great gm we have.

Not so fast my short-sighted friend.  SVG knows most teams that win a title are capped out.

President-George-W.-Bush-Mission-Accompl

And I'm going with Del and Nas on this one.

Panic moves right now are premature and asinine.

A fire sale of AD and RJ gets us nothing but $0.10 on the dollar.

Short-sighted and stupid.

I'll offer a different take on AD:

Instead of dumping him for a huge downgrade in talent; surround him with goads. Veteran or otherwise.

It took Pippen several years to stop being a ***** when facing the Bad Boys.

Jordan finally drove him to toughen up.

Ben Wallace was a goad for the entire Piston's Bad Boys 2 team. He drove the philosophy/ personality of the entire team.

Drummond needs that, apparently.

I'm not saying that's a huge plus in his ledger. It's actually a pretty big minus. 

But it doesn't take away from his physical capabilities. 

It just says he needs help to reach his maximum. His personality prevents him from doing it on his own. That's not a good thing. But it also doesn't consign him to being dumped for 10 cents on the dollar.

Rasheed had a wishy washy personality. He didn't wanna be the "leader" of a team. He wanted only to be a part of a team. Not a bad thing, but it didn't work for several teams that had him. We got him for 10 cents on the dollar. Put him next to Ben, and all of a sudden... I'm watching games and, I swear to ******* god, my jaw literally dropped to the floor. I've never seen a Defense so completely shut down/ pick apart/ destroy an offense as I saw immediately after we picked up Sheed. Never. 25-30 points in the 2nd half? Struggling to make 60 for the game?

Complete and total destruction of the other team.

AD is wishy washy. He doesn't need Jordan or LeBron to goad him, aside from the fact that we won't get those guys here. But he does need Ben Wallace, and a couple other defenders. And Tobias and RJ aren't going to help on that end. And it can't be only SVG either... there's needs to be leaders on the floor that also push/ help AD on Defense/ effort. KCP needs some help in that department. I think he becomes a better defender at SG if there's a better defender at PG... someone who doesn't undermine the backcourt defense. 

I don't know if Morris offers quite enough, at least as a starter, to be as much influence as we need. He helps. He's tough. But he doesn't have enough of a voice/ impact on the floor to "move the needle", so to speak. We really need Stanley to make major growth spurts. I'd like to see him become a lockdown defender, and figure things out offensively. If he's going to become Ron Artest... we sorta need him to do that pretty quickly. Not certain he'll get there at this point... But it would be a HUGE help to AD and the team if he could get there...

I'm not advocating just dumping Harris either.

He can't start next to AD, that's for sure. But he becomes deadly as a 6th man.

The money's rich for a 6th man but... If the right deal is available and we get an upgrade somewhere, fine. But I don't see the point in dumping him for 10 cents, despite his high salary... it's gotta be a deal that works for us. If not, we gotta just wait it out on him, and find someway (basically finding a suitable replacement as a starter) to keep him restricted as much as possible to the 6th man role.

I definitely think a quality veteran presence would not be a bad idea. If we can trade Harris, Morris or Stanley for someone that fits that bill, I'd be all for it.

A couple more...

I don't think SVG is worried about his job. 

A change ain't happenin', at least until next year offseason, if the team has performed badly again.

Gotta resign KCP. Period.

We're going to have to just suck it up, and have patience. As hard as that may seem. The team is still young. Desperately young. And needs more veteran/ defensive leadership. And needs to grow up/ recover from a bad year. But, again... it's such a young team. RJ will play better next year. AD will play better. Find a way to keep Harris in a 6th man role and he explodes next year. SJ will find ways to improve, as will Ellenson. SJ improves enough, and then you have both Harris & Morris coming off the bench. 

If we trade RJ for a PG upgrade, awesome. But we might be stuck with him otherwise, not a horrible thing. And if he's healthy next year, he'll be better than this year... obviously. But again... that forces patience on us. That might suck... but...

Suck it up guys.

My views on Harris.

At 18-20 PPG, I like him and can easily overlook his flaws and he has great value on a team lacking offensive fire power.  But anything less and he just isn't worth it.

Thing is, he absolutely has the talent to be that type of scorer.  There are two reasons he didn't do it this year.

Reason 1 - He is passive.  He shoots a lot when he gets the ball.  But he doesn't work enough or call for the ball enough.  He needs to develop more of that alpha make type personality and demand the ball more.

Reason 2 - SVG.  He completely crapped the bed this year when it comes to coaching IMO.  As soon as it became apparent that Reggie couldn't be the focal point this year, SVG should have switched to Harris and KCP.

But nope.  He had to keep pounding that square peg into the round hole.  Funny thing is, he didn't even need to change his offensive philosophy.  Harris and KCP are capable of running some PnR offense.  He just never let them.  This was his biggest mistake of the year as a coach IMO.  

6 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

I definitely think a quality veteran presence would not be a bad idea. If we can trade Harris, Morris or Stanley for someone that fits that bill, I'd be all for it.

Would've loved a chance at Nerlens Noels... but we didn't have the right goods to swing that trade.

We gotta find a couple of key trades that adds that 3&D element that this team needs, and SVG wants, so desperately.

I think SVG has done great vastly improving the talent level of this team. But now he needs to make another key move or two, or three, to get the right mix that makes this team go. I think he's almost there but... not quite there. 

This offseason is looking like a pretty key one in setting up the team's future.

Two responses for two Reasons:

As a second-teamer, Harris becomes the focal point. I think that's a huge boost for him, and may help offset the passivity. It forces him to be "the leader", and he seemed to flourish on that basis.

As for SVG's limitations... I don't know how that'll work out or what to do about that... Surround himself with stronger/ more innovative assistants? Become more of a "Game Manager" and let them instill creativity? Don't have answers... just popping out an idea or two...