Deleterious

2017 NBA Draft

32 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

If he's gone, Philip could just draft Balls dad.

He a soopa-doopa senior!

tumblr_m54l3tXS6C1qaenhfo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

I greatly enjoyed Ball's dad blaming UCLA's defeat on his son's white teammates being too slow, despite the fact his son got outscored by about 40 points by the opposing point guard. Which certainly had little if anything to do with their loss.

3 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I greatly enjoyed Ball's dad blaming UCLA's defeat on his son's white teammates being too slow, despite the fact his son got outscored by about 40 points by the opposing point guard. Which certainly had little if anything to do with their loss.

Black PG's cant play defense.

And before people get all upset, relax.  One of my best friends is a PG.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It's OK, we all know Piston PGs can't play defense regardless of race, height, religion, etc. We're non discriminatory in that way

17 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

It's OK, we all know Piston PGs can't play defense regardless of race, height, religion, etc. We're non discriminatory in that way

#neverforget

2157-9Fr.jpg

57 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I laughed.

The Pistons should either consider trading back in this draft or get their hands on a pick in the early 20s if possible.  There are some NBA-ready players that can fit into the lineup later in the first round.  However, there are a couple that have some potential to help right away at their current slot.

Out of the players who could be available for the Pistons there are two I like--Frank Ntilinka of France (via Belgium) and Justin Jackson of UNC. 

Ntilikina of Belgium could help as a two-way combo guard with upside.  This kid can shoot off the dribble and defend the ball.  The bad part?  He handles the ball like a SG and is a turnover machine.  His 7' wingspan at 6'5" bothers perimeter shooters and ball handlers.  Frank highlight reel is a tale of two tapes.  A look at his strengths makes you wonder why he isn't a top-five lock, and his weaknesses makes you wonder just how bad of a turnover machine he would be against NBA PG.  NBA comp:  Dante Exum pre-injury.

Jackson, on paper, is the 6'10" wing player the Pistons have needed for some time.  He can shoot the 3, he has a 7' wing-span that bothers people, can shoot off the bounce and he is an able passer/secondary facilitator.  He elevates very well on his jump shot and he's played on the biggest stages amateur hoops has to offer.  The bad part?  He's skinny, a little stiff and not especially resilient.  Will he be overpowered in the NBA like Austin Daye?  NBA comp:  Otto Porter.

A couple of players down in the draft could be of great use to the Pistons, or are just flat-out steals. 

One of the useful players (read: shooters) is Tyler Lydon from Syracuse who is slated to 24th.  He's a 6'10 stretch four that can play defense, rebound, score above the rim and shoot.  The downside?  He wasn't assertive enough as a scorer or on he defensive glass for some critics, but he has a good motor and doesn't lack for effort.  Also, average wing-span.  The best part--nice stroke with a high release point and range out to 26'.  I don't like how far he brings the ball down before he shoots it, but he was one of the best wide-open shooters in NCAA last season.  NBA comp:  Danny Ferry

A flat out steal for somebody is going to be Ivan Rabb, who is slated by DE to go 20th.  At 6'10 with a 7'2"+ wingspan, Rabb has solid length even if he isn't a pure shot blocker.  He's a high IQ big who moves fluidly and passes the ball very well without turning it over a bunch.  He scores on lobs, in the post, mid-range j and mid-post with great polish.  Rabb has range out to 20' (not sure about NBA 3pt range, as there is little visual evidence) and his stroke is fluid to the point where it isn't hard to imagine him shooting in the high 30% range someday from 3pt.  This kid should be a top-5 pick all day, IMO.  NBA comp:  Nikola Jokic

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

hunter, hill, and houston!  we'll dominate the league.

:(

So much pain associated with that team.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Dammit, I was just getting my paperwork together.

Bureaucracy is the only thing keeping me out of the L.

Euroleague is calling, Biggs!

27 minutes ago, Casimir said:

182?  2 rounds * 30 picks per round = some bad decisions unless they've majored in a foreign language.

It's my opinion if you have any shot at the NBA you should declare every year, even if you have no shot at being picked.

It lets you workout for teams, participate in the draft combine, interview with teams, get an evaluation from the nba draft board, etc.  

They can still pull their name out and not enter the draft.  But doing all of that gets them experience for when they finally do go.  And the evaluation tells you what you need to work on.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Plus Euroleague is calling.  I'm looking into it.

Wait--hockey up in Scandiland or basketball?

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It's my opinion if you have any shot at the NBA you should declare every year, even if you have no shot at being picked.

It lets you workout for teams, participate in the draft combine, interview with teams, get an evaluation from the nba draft board, etc.  

They can still pull their name out and not enter the draft.  But doing all of that gets them experience for when they finally do go.  And the evaluation tells you what you need to work on.

Valid point. 

46 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Valid point. 

Hey, he has to throw Buddah a bone every now and then--right?

I like how DE breaks down how the player did against different types of competition.  Accumulating stats against a bunch of cupcakes probably doesn't mean that much.

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I like how DE breaks down how the player did against different types of competition.  Accumulating stats against a bunch of cupcakes probably doesn't mean that much.

DE is the best, and it isn't even close.  And yeah, that stat line IMO can be real valuable when evaluating a player. 

I remember there was a local private school kid who put up a huge game against a much bigger school--like 39 points, 17 boards and six threes--I gave someone a call to get some background. 

On paper, this was a 6'7" kid who had just put up a monster line against a school that traditionally sent players to D1 schools in multiple sports each year.  In reality, he had just played against a team that was without its best two bigs and he was born with no Achilles Tendons.  For real--I didn't even know that was possible, let alone being able to play high school sports with this condition.  Further, the kid was more committed to surfing and smoking weed than he was hoops.

I went to go see him play myself, and I couldn't imagine any school giving the kid a scholly because he was weak and he couldn't even dream of guarding a legit college wing.  But I'm not gonna lie, the kid could stroke it from NBA range.