Deleterious

2017 NBA Draft

2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Of course not, but do you see Kennard potentially developing into a stud defender?

It is as unlikely as the prospects of a socend-round pick turning into a HOF player. 

51 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I Don't get the Ginobli comparisons. 

Maybe the 84 year old Manu we have today.  But back in the day Manu was pretty quick and athletic.  

And he had better hair.

Manu comparisons are very tough, perhaps most of all because Manu was 25 before he ever played an NBA game.

As a vague comp, I understand because both are good shooters that can create for themselves and others with the ball.  Manu certainly looks to be the better athlete, and seems longer than Kennard.

A better comp?  How about Chris Mullin at the same age?

Stats as college sophomores, keeping in mind that there was no 3pt shot for Mullin:

PTS      REB     AST     TOV     STL    FG     FT

Kennard       19.5      5.1        2.5       1.6       0.9     .490    .856

Mullin           19.1      3.7        3.1       2.8       1.1     .577    .878

It is fair to ask if Mulln would be an AS, let alone a future HOF in today's hyper-athletic NBA.  Maybe, maybe not--but he was a four-time All-NBA player(including one first-team selection) once he got help for his drinking. 

39 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Manu comparisons are very tough, perhaps most of all because Manu was 25 before he ever played an NBA game.

As a vague comp, I understand because both are good shooters that can create for themselves and others with the ball.  Manu certainly looks to be the better athlete, and seems longer than Kennard.

A better comp?  How about Chris Mullin at the same age?

Stats as college sophomores, keeping in mind that there was no 3pt shot for Mullin:

PTS      REB     AST     TOV     STL    FG     FT

Kennard       19.5      5.1        2.5       1.6       0.9     .490    .856

Mullin           19.1      3.7        3.1       2.8       1.1     .577    .878

It is fair to ask if Mulln would be an AS, let alone a future HOF in today's hyper-athletic NBA.  Maybe, maybe not--but he was a four-time All-NBA player(including one first-team selection) once he got help for his drinking. 

Physically, I like that comp better.  Mullin was maybe a bit more solid, stronger.  But I'm probably remembering 27 year old Mullin after he grew into his body.  Which Luke should do as well.  

I had a post about Mitchell but it wouldn't let me post it.   Just kept going to the Billy Sims ad.

His jumper looks pretty solid.  I'm shocked he only shot 35% from three.

I think it's pretty clear that Mitchell has the higher potential ceiling. A guy with that kind of speed, athleticism, and length could be a breakout 2-way player if he can make even small improvements in his shooting each year. That's why I wanted him over Kennard.

When you're picking at 12 in the lottery you should be trying to get a guy that people look back on and wish they had taken in the top 5. This franchise needs to score with a lottery pick, not play it safe. Kennard is the safer pick and SVG is probably on the hot seat or getting close to it, which probably factored into it. He's the more sure bet as a late rotational player, but very little chance of a breakout into a starter or All-Star.

Also, I just want to comment on the "we needed shooters" comments or the "you have to be able to shoot in today's NBA" stuff. Take a look around the NBA. Building a team of nonathletic, white dudes who can shoot doesn't win you anything other than your local rec league. These winning teams that have "shooters"; they're also athletes, defenders, or people that can hold their own in the NBA. Look around at the winning teams and show me all the guys that fit Kennard's mold and are critical members of those teams. Very few. The shooters they have that make a difference are guys more like Leonard, Klay, and even Danny Green who can give you shooting and defense for major minutes.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this kid turns into the next Manu. I'd like my team to succeed as much as everyone else. I just see it as a wasted Lottery pick for a guy that's more like an early second round talent - another Stauskas, McDermott, etc.

27 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Take a look around the NBA. Building a team of nonathletic, white dudes who can shoot doesn't win you anything other than your local rec league.

SetShotBuford.jpg

45 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Building a team of nonathletic, white dudes who can shoot doesn't win you anything other than your local rec league. 

What a hopelessly racist statement.

48 minutes ago, Longgone said:

What a hopelessly racist statement.

So either I'm a self-hating white dude or maybe I'm just making a statistically accurate statement. But feel free to dispute my claim with actual evidence to the contrary. Show me all of those white American superstars and multi-year All-Stars in recent NBA history.

i also think kennard looks a lot like doug mcdermott regardless of his skin color.  a guy who can shoot off the bench but cant play defense well enough to stick unless he does actually turn into james harden, which is probably unlikely.

and i have a feeling harden COULD play defense, he just doesnt want to.

look getting athletic guys who can shoot is the ideal (which is why i wanted ojeleye), but this desperately needs outside shooting so kennard isnt a horrible pick.

now, the reason they need outside ahooting so bad is because of svg's failures in building the roster, but thats another story for another day.

Can you even put a legit starting 5 on the floor from white North American players?

C - Brook Lopez

PF - Love

SF - Hayward

SG - Redick

PG - TJ McConnell?

Other than McConnell, you could win some games with that lineup.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Can you even put a legit starting 5 on the floor from white North American players?

C - Brook Lopez

PF - Love

SF - Hayward

SG - Redick

PG - TJ McConnell?

brook lopez is half latino.   does that qualify him as white?  if so, does it make ginobli white too?

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

brook lopez is half latino.   does that qualify him as white?  if so, does it make ginobli white too?

Sure.  

So far tonight you have put Germany and Argentina in North America.  

• Like 1

Just now, Deleterious said:

Sure.  

So far tonight you have put Germany and Argentina in North America.  

you called brook lopez white, not me.

Just now, Buddha said:

you called brook lopez white, not me.

If Tiger is black, Lopez can be white.  I need a center.

17 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I think it's pretty clear that Mitchell has the higher potential ceiling. A guy with that kind of speed, athleticism, and length could be a breakout 2-way player if he can make even small improvements in his shooting each year. That's why I wanted him over Kennard.

When you're picking at 12 in the lottery you should be trying to get a guy that people look back on and wish they had taken in the top 5. This franchise needs to score with a lottery pick, not play it safe. Kennard is the safer pick and SVG is probably on the hot seat or getting close to it, which probably factored into it. He's the more sure bet as a late rotational player, but very little chance of a breakout into a starter or All-Star.

Also, I just want to comment on the "we needed shooters" comments or the "you have to be able to shoot in today's NBA" stuff. Take a look around the NBA. Building a team of nonathletic, white dudes who can shoot doesn't win you anything other than your local rec league. These winning teams that have "shooters"; they're also athletes, defenders, or people that can hold their own in the NBA. Look around at the winning teams and show me all the guys that fit Kennard's mold and are critical members of those teams. Very few. The shooters they have that make a difference are guys more like Leonard, Klay, and even Danny Green who can give you shooting and defense for major minutes.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this kid turns into the next Manu. I'd like my team to succeed as much as everyone else. I just see it as a wasted Lottery pick for a guy that's more like an early second round talent - another Stauskas, McDermott, etc.

There are plenty of total non-defenders in the league that can shoot the ball. I am not saying Kennard is going to turn into much of anything, but 43 percent from distance on over 5 attempts a game is pretty legit. The Pistons cannot shoot at all. He was the obvious pick here. Mitchell reminds me of Stanley Johnson, and Lord knows that we did NOT need another "athlete" that cannot shoot the ball. 

13 hours ago, Deleterious said:

C - Brook Lopez

PF - Love

SF - Hayward

SG - Redick

PG - TJ McConnell?

Lin was born and raised in California :)

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

There are plenty of total non-defenders in the league that can shoot the ball. I am not saying Kennard is going to turn into much of anything, but 43 percent from distance on over 5 attempts a game is pretty legit. The Pistons cannot shoot at all. He was the obvious pick here. Mitchell reminds me of Stanley Johnson, and Lord knows that we did NOT need another "athlete" that cannot shoot the ball. 

mitchell has good form on his jumper.  stanley's shot is ugly and broken.  big difference, imo.

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

i also think kennard looks a lot like doug mcdermott regardless of his skin color.  a guy who can shoot off the bench but cant play defense well enough to stick unless he does actually turn into james harden, which is probably unlikely.

and i have a feeling harden COULD play defense, he just doesnt want to.

look getting athletic guys who can shoot is the ideal (which is why i wanted ojeleye), but this desperately needs outside shooting so kennard isnt a horrible pick.

now, the reason they need outside ahooting so bad is because of svg's failures in building the roster, but thats another story for another day.

I don't get the McDermott comparisons at all. Only thing in common is they are white.  Watching tape between the two in college it is clear that Kennard has vastly superior footwork and basketball know how.  Quicker release too.

Will he be any good?  Who knows, but the McDermott comparions are bad ones.

I don't get the comparison and I never saw Stanley as an "athlete" pick. He's not a remarkable leaper or super fast. He finished under the rim and used his strength. Very different than Mitchell who posted the highest standing vertical (36.5"), fastest 3/4 court sprint (3.01s), and the 4th highest max vertical (40.5"). Oh, and his jumper doesn't look broke like Stanley's did from day 1.

Lin was born and raised in California :)

Is Asian-American the new white?