I love watching Ball play but that shot is ugly.  I don't know how he managed to shoot over 40% from three this year.  I would be worried about that as a scout.  His combination of athleticism and playmaking though is elite.  It's just a matter of how much you think that jump shot will hold him back.  

If the Pistons fall outside of the top 10, I would give serious consideration to trading the pick for a more established player.

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

If the Pistons fall outside of the top 10, I would give serious consideration to trading the pick for a more established player.

tenor.gif

On 3/27/2017 at 1:06 PM, Deleterious said:

I think they could use the cheap player more

43 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

In the end everything depends on the offers. I just doubt we get one of better value than the pick has to us 

I'm sure our pick will do well in Grand Rapids.  

• Like 1

Capture.PNG.874aaf222bed9d127304451ddccaffb5.PNG

Hard to see Detroit getting below Philadelphia, New York, Orlando, Brooklyn, Phoenix, or Los Angeles.  Sacramento is so messed up, they might be win too many and be passable.

19 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

In the end everything depends on the offers. I just doubt we get one of better value than the pick has to us 

If it takes the pick three full years to be a league-average starter, which is running good for a GM in today's NBA, then is it really better than trading for a pick that can be that good or better for three years?

Why draft toddler--instead of trading for a player with an established track record/career path--that will essentially be a liability for the first two seasons if they are trying to win ASAP?

I say cut the fat from the roster.  We don't need two backup centers, let alone two backup centers making a combined $14M.  We don't need a $7M backup PG.  We don't need to pay a 10th man like Bullock $5M.  We don't need two combo forwards who don't rebound and don't shoot well from 3pt.  It's OK to roll with hungry young guys with upside at these spots.

I think we all need to reset our expectations about NBA pay here and think about it as a percentage of cap. 7M for your backup PG is actually pretty good, especially for a quality backup like Ish. With the cap at roughly 100M, that's only about 7% of your pay. Think about that in terms of the 50M cap most of us are used to thinking about and we're talking about a 3.5M backup PG - no worries there.

I do agree with your point about using the pick to get back a player. I think you'll have to package the pick with Reggie (or Dre) if you want to move him.

15 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I think we all need to reset our expectations about NBA pay here and think about it as a percentage of cap. 7M for your backup PG is actually pretty good, especially for a quality backup like Ish. With the cap at roughly 100M, that's only about 7% of your pay. Think about that in terms of the 50M cap most of us are used to thinking about and we're talking about a 3.5M backup PG - no worries there.

I do agree with your point about using the pick to get back a player. I think you'll have to package the pick with Reggie (or Dre) if you want to move him.

If it was just Ish we were paying that kind of money to, or possibly another bench player as well, then fine.  But There are too many guys on the team making this kind of money.  Also, specifically to backup PG, Was there really that much of a dropoff between Beno and Ish as the backup this year.  I don't have the numbers, but Beno seemed pretty effective for us in that capacity for under $1M.  Call him an outlier if you will, but there are backup PG throughout the L--historically--that have performed on cheap deal. 

And if the team didn't have cap issues, I likely wouldn't care about Ish's $7M much like I didn't care about Meeks' $6M when he was doing nothing but wasting Oxygen in street clothes at the end of the bench.  I really think the team needs to be restructured, due to both the cap and the play of the team.  Ish has value in a trade, and if he can net us something of worth--and we can either draft or sign a backup under $2M--then I think that's a win the roster needs.

I have a feeling Reggie will be unmovable until he proves he can beat people off the dribble again.  Dre (and others) are going to have to be Stan's bait, it seems.  If Stan is even going to be the one in charge come off-season.

the problem isnt paying ish smith $7 million, its paying reggie jackson $16 million.

svg has a system -or maybe HAD a system that is great for point guards.  even dj augustine fared pretty well in it.  you can get by with an average pg.  but then he goes out and pays big money to get a slightly above average pg in reggie.  seemed unnecessary at the time.

the one thing we cant know is how hurt reggie is.  the team is going to cpver for him - and themselves - by saying his drop in play is due to injury.  if its not, the pistons are in trouble for the immediate future.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the problem isnt paying ish smith $7 million, its paying reggie jackson $16 million.

Exactly this.

Reggie at 16/17/18 for the next three years. As well as Drummond at 24/25/27/28. That's the problem. We need to dump those contracts in the worst way.

Plenty of reasons to move Jackson. His contract doesn't crack the top ten reasons on why you move him.

His contract is actually good value in today's market. Wait till this summer and you see guys like Teague and Hill going for over $20M a year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Plenty of reasons to move Jackson. His contract doesn't crack the top ten reasons on why you move him.

His contract is actually good value in today's market. Wait till this summer and you see guys like Teague and Hill going for over $20M a year.

Drummond's percentage of the cap is an issue though considering what he gives you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Drummond's percentage of the cap is an issue though considering what he gives you.

I agree.

Cant pay someone that much if he can't be on the floor at the end of games.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I agree.

Cant pay someone that much if he can't be on the floor at the end of games.

cant pay someone that much who doesnt provide that much value when he IS playing, regardless of the time of the game.

its not like drummond is terrible, but he's just so weak.  i have a feeling that training camp stories about drummond's "newfound maturity" and being in the "best shape of his life" will become the pistons' version of bonderman's changeup.

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Exactly this.

Reggie at 16/17/18 for the next three years. As well as Drummond at 24/25/27/28. That's the problem. We need to dump those contracts in the worst way.

But right now, Reggie isn't real tradable and we would all but give him away.  If he was really playing hurt all year, and surgery can leave him in good position to pick up on his '15-'16 play, then Reggie at 16/17/18 will be market value+.  Obviously if he doesn't bounce back he's an albatross.  It is up to the Pistons staff to make a correct evaluation on him.  If they just want to dump him with the understanding that all they are getting back is cap relief, then the team is 100% rebuilding in '17-'18 and they better trade Drummond and Harris while they are at it.

That said I'm not sure how the combined $52M+ the team is paying Ish/Baynes/Leuer/Boban/Bullock/Harris isn't a problem.  That number needs to be cut in half and KCP given an extension.  If they find a way to trade Drummond and get back a piece or two of worth, that is obviously also great.