Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Nylon Calculus: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope constrained by Pistons’ roster

Plenty of hate for Jackson too.  But only enough room to paste a hate snippet about one player.

Nylon Calculus: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope constrained by Pistons’ roster

Of course, Drummond’s No. 6 ranking is understandable. At the center position, most of his touches are in prime scoring range near the basket, so it makes sense that he is high on this list. Although this is true, it remains clear that Drummond is being featured too often on the offensive end of the floor for a player with a limited skillset. Currently, the Pistons waste 4.4 possessions per game on post-ups for Drummond, resulting in .72 points per possession (13th percentile). Overall, his efficiency is among the worst in the league for a center, yet his usage (24.8 percent) is well above average at his position.

Given Drummond’s usage, there’s no surprise the effect he has on Caldwell-Pope when both are present on the floor. When Drummond is on the court, Caldwell-Pope is averaging 19.5 points per 100 posessions on a measly 17.8 percent usage. But take Drummond off of the court, and Caldwell-Pope’s scoring balloons to 27.7 points per 100 possessions, along with an equally significant rise in usage to 23.5 percent.

thats why i blame svg the gm more than svg the coach.  assembled a team of one on one ball stoppers like morris, jackson, drummond, and harris.  hard to complain about ball movement when you have so many unwilling passers on your team.

if theyre going to max kcp they need to move jackson and one of harris or morris.  if kcp is making that kind of money he should be the focal point of the team, not reggie.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Buddha said:

thats why i blame svg the gm more than svg the coach.  assembled a team of one on one ball stoppers like morris, jackson, drummond, and harris.  hard to complain about ball movement when you have so many unwilling passers on your team.

Harris is not a ball stopper.  When he gets it, he makes a move to the hoop, shoots it, or passes it.  Rarely does he hold or dribble the ball in place.  I agree with you on Morris and Jackson.  

Why are they still writing articles about KCP like he's playing the way he did pre-shoulder injury? He's been abysmal offensively since returning. I can't see the games so don't really know how he's played defensively, but I don't know how you make the argument still that we should run our offense through him. And the Jackson vs Smith  argument doesn't fly because his best month was in January, his usg% is only down slightly since Reggie came back until this month when he's been god awful. I like Pope but he's still too inconsistent to even consider making your offensive focal point.

In the month of January here is what KCP did. 

With Ish he averaged 1.59 points per possession.

With Reggie he averaged 1 point per possession.  

For the entire season:

With Ish Pope scores 1.17 points per possession.

With Jackson, Pope scores 1.05 points per possession.  

I think the Ish/Jackson argument works fine here.  

Do you have breakdown on how many mins he played with Ish in Jan? How about Feb and March?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

Do you have breakdown on how many mins he played with Ish in Jan? How about Feb and March?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It was like 60/240 Ish/Reggie for January.

For the season it's around 1050/980 Ish/Reggie.

I don't look at the other months.

This was a good read and I think it touches on what will happen this summer. KCP is going to get a max deal, and the Pistons are going to trade Jackson. 

You cant pay a guy $130 million to stand and watch Jackson dribble around. 

Just look at what Ish has done with Harris and KCP. He has made them better. Jackson makes them worse. And next season, you'll be paying Harris and KCP a combined $40 million. 

Nice find, Del. 

I don't think we should be shocked at the findings, but maybe it will give us some closure on part of why:

1)  SVG needs to max KCP.

2)  SVG needs to deal Jackson and one of Harris or Morris.

As a guy always looking for value, I love that he got all three of these guys for spare parts via trade.  That said, SVG needs to cash these chips in for a bigger-picture player this off-season.