Deleterious

How costly are Andre Drummond’s free throw issues?

Maybe I missed the part of the discussion about all time great but I could care less about that. I just want him to do exactly what he's doing now but add quality defense and rim protection. He does that and he's well worth the contract.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It's even more damaging than the numbers suggest because you really can't quantify the overall impact it has on the game.  Between having to take him out for inferior players, to being afraid to get him involved in a play late, it all hurts the team in ways that don't show up in the box score. 

22 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

Maybe I missed the part of the discussion about all time great but I could care less about that. I just want him to do exactly what he's doing now but add quality defense and rim protection. He does that and he's well worth the contract.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

And when are you expecting these revelations to occur? He's about to finish up his 5th season in the league and we've seen very little improvement. 

It is absolutely astonishing to me how horrific Andre is at the line. The guy played a season at an elite program in UConn, and is about to finish up his 5th full NBA season. 

How are you this bad at the foul line? I mean honestly. Nobody is expecting him to be good at it.... but come on. He is literally the worst ever. The worst. 

I wonder if Andre would ever consider a Sports Psychologist because it's obvious that there is some mental block there.  I mean of course that's not the sole reason and he's never going to be a 75% shooter even without the block but there is something there.  Nobody that plays basketball regularly let alone an NBA player would shoot sub 40% from the line without part of it being mental. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder if Andre would ever consider a Sports Psychologist because it's obvious that there is some mental block there.  I mean of course that's not the sole reason and he's never going to be a 75% shooter even without the block but there is something there.  Nobody that plays basketball regularly let alone an NBA player would shoot sub 40% from the line without part of it being mental. 

what does he shoot in practice? I've heard a lot of people say he 'works at it' in practice, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say definitively if he makes >50% in practice or not. I suppose it's prefectly possibly that some really big people would have really badly scaled fine motor control and not be physically capable of being that accurate, but that could only be true if he never, ever does any better in any venue.  

I don't recall exactly but wasn't Rodman a guy who shot a high % in the gym but was always too amped to hit them in the game?

He should just do what the rest of the team did in New Orleans.  Don't go to the free throw line.

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

D12 was great in practice.

lakersft.jpg

One of my favorite images.

Taking and making a bunch of free throws at practice is a requirement to be a good FT shooter in games but does not guarantee one will be.

from the start of the season to the ASG is about 4 months in the NBA = something around 120 days. That's about 10-15 practice attempts on a per day basis, but of course they don't practice every or even most days. 

He seemed like he was progressing for a bit there when he was walking to center court and had a routine going. He's stopped doing that now. I guess he's too lazy to even make that walk a part of his routine anymore. That's too much like hard work.

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

He seemed like he was progressing for a bit there when he was walking to center court and had a routine going. He's stopped doing that now. I guess he's too lazy to even make that walk a part of his routine anymore. That's too much like hard work.

There was mention of this in one of the other game threads.  A report asked Van Gundy about it and the response was something along the lines of a sarcastic eyeroll and comment.

Well, given his performance lately without his routine and how it culminated last night, he'd be an absolute fool to not go back to it.

Something else that is pretty radical that they could try would be for him to not practice on them at all or even worry about them in the offseason.   Maybe he is focusing too much attention to them that it puts unneeded pressure on him when he goes to the line.  Just spitballing but perhaps if the organization totally downplayed the situation and just told him to work on other facets of his game and not even worry about free throws that it may calm him at the line and he would make more.  

The reason I suggest this is being an avid golfer there have been many instances where golfers would develop the putting "yips" where they basically couldn't make 5ft putts anymore, instead of practicing them not stop coaches would tell them to just forget about it, when doing that suddenly they would start to make them again because it wouldn't be on their mind.  

Of course this scenario his probably unlikely but it's obvious that every other technique that tried hasn't helped so I suppose it would be worth a shot.