Deleterious

How costly are Andre Drummond’s free throw issues?

How costly are Andre Drummond’s free throw issues?

The Detroit Pistons are 27th in free throw percentage, hitting just 73.3 percent of their free throws. As noted in the tweet above, if all of Drummond’s free throw makes and attempts were removed, the Pistons’ team percentage would jump 8.6 percent and would be the best free throw shooting team in the NBA.

Furthermore, when Drummond is on the floor the Pistons as a team hit 66.7 percent of their free throws. When he’s off the floor, the Pistons hit 83.7 percent of their free throws. It’s no surprise that the Pistons score 2.8 more points per 100 possessions when Drummond is off the floor than when he’s on.

More at the link

It's a joke. It's embarrassing. It's pathetic. It's everything. 

We are paying him a maximum contract and he cannot play in crunch time.

Drummond is not the kind of player you build a team around, and you don't pay max contracts to players you don't build around.

Drummond is already an albatross.

My general take would be that it is pretty inexcusable for a max contract NBA player to be significantly worse at an important facet of the game than a humble forums poster like myself, who retired from competitive basketball after a high school career in which I averaged 2 points per game

53 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

My general take would be that it is pretty inexcusable for a max contract NBA player to be significantly worse at an important facet of the game than a humble forums poster like myself, who retired from competitive basketball after a high school career in which I averaged 2 points per game

You're talking about his 3 point shooting here I assume?

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Drummond is not the kind of player you build a team around, and you don't pay max contracts to players you don't build around.

Drummond is already an albatross.

There are going to be "max" guys making 40 mil soon. Drummond makes 25. I don't buy him as an albatross at all and I believe he can be part of a big 3, just not the top one of the 3. 

I took second in a state wide free throw championship when I was 12...still have the medal somewhere.  They are easy for me, even now I could easily drain 22 out of 25 jumping 13' in the air is not.  Neither is running up and down the court to dunk or play defense.  I was pretty good with my left hand around the basket, but not for hooks. Drummond does just about everything involved with playing basketball better than most NBA players minus free throws...and his defense is not that great either, but we are talking about FT's.

To read this thread you would think the man should be flayed.  If he was 30 with that contract I would be pissed.  I am optimistic he will get the drive to be the best big in the game and dominate the game the way other big men have in the past...when he fully matures.

17 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I took second in a state wide free throw championship when I was 12...still have the medal somewhere.  They are easy for me, even now I could easily drain 22 out of 25 jumping 13' in the air is not.  Neither is running up and down the court to dunk or play defense.  I was pretty good with my left hand around the basket, but not for hooks. Drummond does just about everything involved with playing basketball better than most NBA players minus free throws...and his defense is not that great either, but we are talking about FT's.

To read this thread you would think the man should be flayed.  If he was 30 with that contract I would be pissed.  I am optimistic he will get the drive to be the best big in the game and dominate the game the way other big men have in the past...when he fully matures.

The history of really bad FT shooting big men is not encouraging and with Andre you already have a 4 year history of zero progress.  He does need the 'drive' to play more consistently esp on D, but even if he finds it,  I'm not sure that's his FT problem.

I have complained about his defense as much as anyone.  But it's kind of hard for me to keep doing that when they are a top 10 defense.

21 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I have complained about his defense as much as anyone.  But it's kind of hard for me to keep doing that when they are a top 10 defense.

IDK, given that they are not all that skilled overall as a team offensively, they probably need to be better than a top ten D to win, and with a different person inhabiting Drummond's body maybe they would be. A team has to be great at something to be a great team right? Reggie isn't gonna turn into Jerry West nor Drummond into Kareem, so maybe recognizing they could play even better D is their best shot.

Of course the downside is I don't think the league is any more disposed to love teams that win with defense  today than in the Piston's previous passes.

(weird brain freeze there - I had typed "Westbrook" for "Reggie" - maybe wishful thinking we had gotten the other guy!)

While we are talking about the glory days, I averaged 13 and 12 my senior year on way to being all state. 

Still waiting on the NBA to call me 

43 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

While we are talking about the glory days, I averaged 13 and 12 my senior year on way to being all state. 

Still waiting on the NBA to call me 

You might get it next year when Baynes is gone.

• Like 1

But, hey, he's improved.  

And I thought that the rules are going to be changed?  That seemed to be the mantra around here last year when the free throws were criticized.

16 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The history of really bad FT shooting big men is not encouraging and with Andre you already have a 4 year history of zero progress.  He does need the 'drive' to play more consistently esp on D, but even if he finds it,  I'm not sure that's his FT problem.

I will take Andre that is more focused and gives a 100% all the time even with 40% FT %.  My general point is that to me right now he is worth keeping, not by a huge margin, but it SHOULD be a huge margin even with the FT issues.  I want to see him get the desire to dominant (lol!) all the time.  To go down as one of the best.  He has all the attributes needed.

He simply does not have all the attributes needed to go down as one of the best.

His offensive game is limited, is not a good defensive player, and can't shoot.

I agree he can get better and I agree he possesses a lot of athleticism, but I don't see him having a better peak and/or career than any of these guys:

Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Hakeem, Malone, Robinson, Ewing, Mikan, Walton, Parrish, Unseld, Yao, Pau, Dikembe, Alonzo, Dwight Howard, Lanier, Gilmore, or Reed.

That is 20 centers that are better, and there are probably another 20 that will end up better barring a marked improvement from what has been seen so far.  Ben Wallace is probably going to end up having a better career.  I love Ben and think a good argument exists that he be placed in the Hall of Fame.  But I wouldn't put him in the top 10 centers of all time, and if he is in the top 20, he's not in the top 15.

People get confused about Drummond.

He has all of the physical tools to be great.  He has almost none of the basketball skills required to be great.  

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

People get confused about Drummond.

He has all of the physical tools to be great.  He has almost none of the basketball skills required to be great.  

A better way to put it than I did.

2 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

He's 23 for goodness sake

He's not demonstrated anything to suggest he would go down as one of the best for goodness sake, which was the specific claim being argued.

So i guess at 26 or 27 he's guaranteed to be the same guy...after all I know I didn't change at all fron my early 20's to my mid 20's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

So i guess at 26 or 27 he's guaranteed to be the same guy...after all I know I didn't change at all fron my early 20's to my mid 20's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nobody is saying he can't get better.  We're saying its improbable at his age to make the jump to greatness from where he currently is.  

Alternately, if it is unreasonable to suggest Drummond is unlikely to become a great center in the context of NBA history because how young he is paired with his athleticism, then any highly athletic player under the age of 23 has all of the attributes to go down as one of the best.