Sydney_Fife

2017 Playoff Race

Watching Portland/OKC, it is hard to believe we beat the Blazers the other night.

They look like a different team with Nurkic in the lineup.

At least the Pistons aren't Portland. Or Charlotte. 

Charlotte loses in Phoenix. They're 3 games behind us. 

Man, Charlotte has been a disappointment. 

Finishing 9th would be pretty hilarious actually.  No playoffs, drafting 13th or 14th most likely.  2% chance to make it into the top 3!

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Finishing 9th would be pretty hilarious actually.  No playoffs, drafting 13th or 14th most likely.  2% chance to make it into the top 3!

Would you fire svg?

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Would you fire svg?

I said yes a few weeks ago.  But I'm not sure to be honest.

It would definitely be on the table and he would have to show me a solid plan heading into next year if I didn't.  

32 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

At least the Pistons aren't Portland. Or Charlotte. 

Charlotte loses in Phoenix. They're 3 games behind us. 

Man, Charlotte has been a disappointment. 

I don't hate either Charlotte or Portland's roster for next season.

28 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I said yes a few weeks ago.  But I'm not sure to be honest.

It would definitely be on the table and he would have to show me a solid plan heading into next year if I didn't.  

I dont think i would.  But he would be on a pretty short leash for next year.

In my uneducated (as you well know and point out regularly) basketball opinion, the roster doesnt work.  They dont have enough shooting around drummond/reggie if theyre going to be the fulcrum of your offense.  The team they have with morris/harris seema to work better with a point guard who looks to distribute more than one who looks for his own shot and dominates the ball like reggie does.

I think stan's heart was in the right place by signing leuer for shooting and moving harris to the second unit so he could just be a scorer, but it still doesnt solve the problem of the pistons inability to stretch the floor and threaten teams when they aggressively double reggie and kill the pnr with drummond.

I would give him another offseason to figure it out, although i dont know how they fix it unless they get rid of either drummond or reggie.  Trade harris for a gunner maybe.

As much as a liability as he is on defense, i would take a look at jimmer.

59 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

As opposed to finishing 8th, getting embarassed by the Cavs and drafting 15th or 16th?

I actually think that squeaking into the playoffs with a poor record is one of the worst case scenarios.  It's an excuse to keep everything the same.

Just now, NYLion said:

As opposed to finishing 8th, getting embarassed by the Cavs and drafting 15th or 16th?

Playoff experience is better.  You're pretty much drafting in the same spot anyway.

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Playoff experience is better.  You're pretty much drafting in the same spot anyway.

As I added to my previous post, I think squeaking into the playoffs with a subpar record is arguably a worse case scenario because it gives an excuse to keep the status quo.  Last year was about gaining playoff experience, this season was supposed to be about advancing in the playoffs and that's simply not going to happen.  The team is stuck in the mud right now, a soon to be capped out team that is no better than mediocre.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

In my uneducated (as you well know and point out regularly) basketball opinion, the roster doesnt work.  They dont have enough shooting around drummond/reggie if theyre going to be the fulcrum of your offense.  The team they have with morris/harris seema to work better with a point guard who looks to distribute more than one who looks for his own shot and dominates the ball like reggie does.

I think stan's heart was in the right place by signing leuer for shooting and moving harris to the second unit so he could just be a scorer, but it still doesnt solve the problem of the pistons inability to stretch the floor and threaten teams when they aggressively double reggie and kill the pnr with drummond.

I would give him another offseason to figure it out, although i dont know how they fix it unless they get rid of either drummond or reggie.  Trade harris for a gunner maybe.

He needs to revamp the offense if he is coming back.

Stop running the same 2-3 sets every time down the floor.  Even just counting the time Ish is on the floor they only have the 20th ranked offense, so its not pretty.  

He needs to introduce more cutting and moving without the ball.  Not so much standing around and spotting up.  I would also like to see the ball in KCP's hands more as a playmaker.  It doesn't always have to be the PG initiating the offense.  

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

As I added to my previous post, I think squeaking into the playoffs with a subpar record is arguably a worse case scenario because it gives an excuse to keep the status quo.  Last year was about gaining playoff experience, this season was supposed to be about advancing in the playoffs and that's simply not going to happen.  The team is stuck in the mud right now, a soon to be capped out team that is no better than mediocre.

I find it hard to believe anyone involved will be content to keep the status quo if they get smoked as the 8th seed.  Especially since they will probably make the playoffs as a sub .500 team.  

Just now, Deleterious said:

I find it hard to believe anyone involved will be content to keep the status quo if they get smoked as the 8th seed.  Especially since they will probably make the playoffs as a sub .500 team.  

I hope you're right.

I would go hard after Paul George this summer.

Harris, SJ, and a pick is a pretty nice package for Indiana if he is about to bounce.  And I know he has said if it's not Indiana, he is going to LA.  But he is good friends with Reggie, they vacation together in the summer, so maybe you can appeal to him that way a bit.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

Is the pistons finishing 9th in the east the worst possible season for this team?  

If so, should svg be fired?

Not if they somehow land in the lottery.

I wouldn't fire him this season.  I would allow for the fact that possibly Jackson is unhealthy enough to throw a wrench into this team's abilities.  However I'm not sure that the ceiling is very high for a team with Jackson and Drummond as its cornerstones.

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

This sounds about right. I keep SVG, potentially on a short leash, as well. My thoughts are this basically

- Most of his transactions have either been wins or at least moves I feel he had to make(re-signing Reggie and Drummond particularly). Drafting Johnson isn't so much a win I know, but I don't consider it a loss either, as much as I'd like Turner or Booker. I guess Johnson is our Ebron lol

- The D has been pretty damn good, and that has a lot to do with SVG's coaching IMO. It really feel apart around December or so after being good early and he got it back on track again. I give him credit for that. We aren't a roster made up of great defenders or anything. 

Now, obviously the offense is the issue. Can Reggie get his **** back together? That's what it will all start with. One of Morris/Harris likely goes and you hope to add 2 shooters I think. One in the draft, one in trade or FA. 

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I would go hard after Paul George this summer.

Harris, SJ, and a pick is a pretty nice package for Indiana if he is about to bounce.  And I know he has said if it's not Indiana, he is going to LA.  But he is good friends with Reggie, they vacation together in the summer, so maybe you can appeal to him that way a bit.  

If you have a chance at something like this, you have to take your shot at it. I'd guess they ask for two firsts to close it if they are interestd

and as always, Boston/Ainge can top that offer ;)

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

If you have a chance at something like this, you have to take your shot at it. I'd guess they ask for two firsts to close it if they are interestd

and as always, Boston/Ainge can top that offer ;)

Boston won't. They would have to include a Nets pick to beat it. That's too much to give up for a guy who probably walks away. Plus, Boston isn't in a position where they have to gamble like we do.

Starting Ish is fine. But SVG can really lose me if he doesn't start Harris too. 

They play well together so splitting them up would be stupid.

And let's be honest. Ish is starting tomorrow. You don't come out and say this if he isn't.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Boston won't. They would have to include a Nets pick to beat it. That's too much to give up for a guy who probably walks away. Plus, Boston isn't in a position where they have to gamble like we do.

Supposedly Indy asked for both Brooklyns plus, so hard to say. I think Ainge is willing to try and convince a star to stay.