Sydney_Fife

2017 Playoff Race

Pistons currently in 8th place. They're 2 games behind Indiana and Chicago for 6th and 7th. 

Theyre a game ahead of Miami and Milwaukee. Charlotte and the Knicks still alive too. 

41-41 would be an accomplishment this season, at this point.

Some thoughts:

--Reggie needs to have surgery on that knee, it seems.  Is it worth it to gut it out the rest of the season, for him or the team, or is it wise to shut him down now and let him go  under the knife ASAP so he can be good and ready for camp in the summer?

--Harris prolly has to be moved after the season, as well as one of Baynes/Boban.  Bullock is making $5M to sit the bench.  Play him or get rid of him, SVG.  That's just too much money tied up when there are young players (SJ/Ellenson) who project to get more burn next season, not to mention KCP needs to be retained. 

--I would also be OK cleaning house at the PG position.  If someone likes Drummond enough to make us a serious offer, we listen.  There is talent in the GLeague and abroad in the form of point guards and combo guards--kind of like finding a running back in the NFL in that you just have to find the guy that works with your existing personnel and system.  Jimmer and Larkin are two examples of guys who are abroad who could impact like Seth Curry did this year.

--SVG needs to get two more shooters for this team and he needs to play them.  The two best shooters he's grabbed have been Bullock and Meeks, and SVG only gave them sporadic minutes even when they were healthy.  When you sign a guy capable of shooting 40% from 3pt, and he's the only guy on your roster that can do it, you need to commit to playing him.  Better yet, get like three or four guys that can shoot 40%.

--The top two-dozen guys taken in the draft this year will be teenagers.  This means there will be a lot of 21, 22 and 23-year-olds who are very potentially ready to play NBA minutes available later in the draft.  SVG needs to capitalize on this and round up some later picks.  He needs all the cheap, game-ready labor he can get if he's going to shed money contracts.  Derek Walton, at the risk of sounding like a homer, is a guy like this.  Grayson Allen as well.  Yogi was a guy like that last year.

• Like 1

I disagree about trading Harris. He's a great 6th man. I think they've found a role for him.... especially since they're a pretty bad offensive team  

Now I think it's possible he's asks for a trade this summer if he isn't going to be starting. 

They are probably too far ahead of Detroit for it to matter.  But Toronto just lost Lowry for the next 4-5 weeks.  He is having wrist surgery.  

5 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

41-41 would be an accomplishment this season, at this point.

Some thoughts:

--Reggie needs to have surgery on that knee, it seems.  Is it worth it to gut it out the rest of the season, for him or the team, or is it wise to shut him down now and let him go  under the knife ASAP so he can be good and ready for camp in the summer?

--Harris prolly has to be moved after the season, as well as one of Baynes/Boban.  Bullock is making $5M to sit the bench.  Play him or get rid of him, SVG.  That's just too much money tied up when there are young players (SJ/Ellenson) who project to get more burn next season, not to mention KCP needs to be retained. 

--I would also be OK cleaning house at the PG position.  If someone likes Drummond enough to make us a serious offer, we listen.  There is talent in the GLeague and abroad in the form of point guards and combo guards--kind of like finding a running back in the NFL in that you just have to find the guy that works with your existing personnel and system.  Jimmer and Larkin are two examples of guys who are abroad who could impact like Seth Curry did this year.

--SVG needs to get two more shooters for this team and he needs to play them.  The two best shooters he's grabbed have been Bullock and Meeks, and SVG only gave them sporadic minutes even when they were healthy.  When you sign a guy capable of shooting 40% from 3pt, and he's the only guy on your roster that can do it, you need to commit to playing him.  Better yet, get like three or four guys that can shoot 40%.

--The top two-dozen guys taken in the draft this year will be teenagers.  This means there will be a lot of 21, 22 and 23-year-olds who are very potentially ready to play NBA minutes available later in the draft.  SVG needs to capitalize on this and round up some later picks.  He needs all the cheap, game-ready labor he can get if he's going to shed money contracts.  Derek Walton, at the risk of sounding like a homer, is a guy like this.  Grayson Allen as well.  Yogi was a guy like that last year.

Would love to trade down and acquire more picks. It is deep draft. Not sure if surgery would fix Reggie or not. If he needs it, its best just to go ahead and get it done and hope he rebounds.

17 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

They are probably too far ahead of Detroit for it to matter.  But Toronto just lost Lowry for the next 4-5 weeks.  He is having wrist surgery.  

Yikes.

At least Joseph can step in and put up starters numbers right away, although it will be hard for him to duplicate Lowry's line.

There's always Williams and Jennings available if they don't want to roll with Wright as the 2nd PG, although the kid seems pretty talented.

17 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Would love to trade down and acquire more picks. It is deep draft. Not sure if surgery would fix Reggie or not. If he needs it, its best just to go ahead and get it done and hope he rebounds.

If Jackson does indeed need surgery and he is significantly hampered by it now, just get it done and over with.  Getting him healthy should be the priority if its that bad.  I'll gladly kick a 7th or 8th place finish and first round sweep to the side if it puts the team into better position for next season.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I disagree about trading Harris. He's a great 6th man.

But with SVG there is no such role as 6th man, all you can be is the best player on the 2nd unit.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I disagree about trading Harris. He's a great 6th man. I think they've found a role for him.... especially since they're a pretty bad offensive team  

Now I think it's possible he's asks for a trade this summer if he isn't going to be starting. 

I think you can find someone to shoulder the scoring load off the bench, whether it is JL returning there or if it is Ellenson stepping up from GR.  Making $16M for a guy in that role who isn't really rebounding or playing good D, it just seems like Tobias is super replaceable or even upgradable on the whole.

3 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I think you can find someone to shoulder the scoring load off the bench, whether it is JL returning there or if it is Ellenson stepping up from GR.  Making $16M for a guy in that role who isn't really rebounding or playing good D, it just seems like Tobias is super replaceable or even upgradable on the whole.

Ellenson isn't a rotation player anytime soon. 

Leuer is a decent fit to Andre. Decent defender, decent rebounder, ability to stretch the floor. They really could use a better PF here, and that isn't Harris. 

But where do you trade Harris? He's kind of a Greg Monroe type. A true tweener. Defends like a PF but rebounds like a SF. 

They'd probably try to move Boban too because I'm definitely sold on SVG offering Baynes a nice contract this summer. 

Pistons get some help

Bucks lose in Cleveland 

Heat lose in Dallas. That's another Eastern conference playoff contender that goes down to Dallas. 

Indiana currently up 1 at the break in Houston. 

42 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

What would a Harris trade even look like! Harris + Boban for???

Probably a late first, expiring contract and maybe one more relatively minor asset from a contender looking for a bench scorer? Not too far off a Lou Williams trade, even though they're different players with different contracts. 

Or he's used in a bigger package. 

I'd be down for something like this. CJ Miles would be a great fit off the bench at the 2 and 3. Probably would net 8-10 million in free agency though. Baynes similar  

PG: Jackson, Ish

SG: KCP, CJ Miles

SF: Johnson, Morris

PF: Morris, Leuer

C: Drummond, Baynes

You package Harris + players + picks for one player.  Maybe a star who is going to leave his team in the next year via free agency.  Take a chance and try to convince him to stay here.  

• Like 1

Yay!!!  The Pistons are winning a turtle race with the prize being easy prey for the Cavaliers.  I'm more curious about what SVG does in the offseason to fix this group than the rest of this season.  On another note, how boring is this season overall?  Snoozefest.  The playoffs should be pretty good as usual but it's a task just to get there.  

It just feels like there is a distinct lack of competition and the storylines seem to be lacking.  You know it's lame when the Barkley/Lebron and Shaq/McGee feuds are the season highlights.  A lot of the games (or at least the ones I've had an opportunity to catch), the All Star festivities, the deadline outside of the Boogie trade (Yawn).

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

You package Harris + players + picks for one player.  Maybe a star who is going to leave his team in the next year via free agency.  Take a chance and try to convince him to stay here.  

Its going to take a trade like this to get a top tier player into Detroit if not through the draft.  I'm not sure Harris is the main bait, but the theory applies nonetheless.

I think they could build a pretty attractive package around Harris this summer.

Good scorer on a real nice contract that is actually declining in price the next two years.  He's only 24 and as a first option would be a 20 PPG type guy.  He does little else on the court, but teams are always willing to overlook that if a guy can score.  

Package him with SJ and a 1st round pick and that's not bad.  You get a guy who's established, still young, and on a decent contract.  A young guy with potential and a pick, or two if needed.