MAROTH4MVP

Redwings Trade deadline news

3 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Any year. Multiple picks would be fantastic.

Yep, while there's a consensus that the top 5 of the 2017 draft is weaker than most years and there are no obvious generational talents, I'm not going to write off the entire 2017 draft yet. I'm not sure if a 25th overall in 2017, for example, would be much worse if at all than a 25th overall in 2018.

Just now, lordstanley said:

Yep, while there's a consensus that the top 5 of the 2017 draft is weaker than most years and there are no obvious generational talents, I'm not going to write off the entire 2017 draft yet. I'm not sure if a 25th overall in 2017, for example, would be much worse if at all than a 25th overall in 2018.

Osgood was talking a bit about the draft and said there's a drop-off after the top 5.

2 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Osgood was talking a bit about the draft and said there's a drop-off after the top 5.

Ok. I admit to not being well-versed on the topic. I barely follow juniors anymore.

Just now, lordstanley said:

Ok. I admit to not being well-versed on the topic. I barely follow juniors anymore.

It can be both, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Like you, I get the impression that it's weak overall.

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Yay, Wings-Canucks game is over and I don't think Vanek got injured tonight.

I was surprised Holland didn't have Vanek scratched to prevent injury. 

Weird. Given how Holland traded 3 players before today for decent to good returns, this very disappointing return must say more about Vanek than Holland somehow. Why is Vanek poison?

Kenny got ripped off on this one. Should have gotten a high draft pick or an actual prospect in the deal, not a washed out 20-something.

I don't get why you'd make that trade 3 hours before the deadline. Could you really do any worse a couple of minutes before 3pm?

If Vanek is so unwanted, I wonder if we sign him this summer to another 1-year deal at similar salary as last summer. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

My only explanation for this lopsided deal is Holland was worried a better deal wouldn't come along before the deadline.

6 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

My only explanation for this lopsided deal is Holland was worried a better deal wouldn't come along before the deadline.

I think that's a fair reading. It was no secret that he was on the block, so I have to imagine Kenny knew what types of offers were out there. It could also be that vanes just isn't worth as much as wings fans expected. Good but not great player on an awful team. Maybe he isn't seen as a guy that would move the needle that much on a better team. 

Either way, I think this just turned out to be the best he could expect. 

Helene St. James reported there is a lot of interest from other team in Riley Sheahan.  Other than being a big body, I wonder what these teams see in Sheahan, because he has looked like dead weight on the ice this season.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think that's a fair reading. It was no secret that he was on the block, so I have to imagine Kenny knew what types of offers were out there. It could also be that vanes just isn't worth as much as wings fans expected. Good but not great player on an awful team. Maybe he isn't seen as a guy that would move the needle that much on a better team. 

Either way, I think this just turned out to be the best he could expect. 

I would have been happy with this return a week ago. It seems like it became a huge sellers market tho, and this return is about 1/3 of what teams were getting for similar or lesser players.

5 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I would have been happy with this return a week ago. It seems like it became a huge sellers market tho, and this return is about 1/3 of what teams were getting for similar or lesser players.

Maybe Kenny waited too long and it has become a buyer's market? I thought I heard that there was another team out there with a similar player that was likely to be moved today. Forget the team/player, though. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Maybe Kenny waited too long and it has become a buyer's market? I thought I heard that there was another team out there with a similar player that was likely to be moved today. Forget the team/player, though. 

It's also possible, and likely probable, that KH believes McIlrath is a better player than he's been given credit for.

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Radim Vrbata of Arizona.

When Vanek was traded at the deadline a couple of years ago from NYI to Montreal, he only yielded a 2nd plus a lousy prospect.

If Florida makes the playoffs, this 3rd is effectively a 2nd because it would be Arizona's (so within the first few picks of the 3rd round).