Nastradamus

2017 Offseason and free agency thread

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't even think they need to get a RB in the top 3 rounds.   The RBs they have are fine, the question is their health.     They don't need a premiere back - they've got Theo Riddick and he's fine when he's healthy.    The better offensive line should help with the running game. 

I like the defensive strategy..   They are building the depth before getting their starters in the draft.   I would be shocked if they didn't go defense with their first 3 picks.  

So you're basically putting our entire running game on Abdullah's health?

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't even think they need to get a RB in the top 3 rounds.   The RBs they have are fine, the question is their health.     They don't need a premiere back - they've got Theo Riddick and he's fine when he's healthy.    The better offensive line should help with the running game. 

I like the defensive strategy..   They are building the depth before getting their starters in the draft.   I would be shocked if they didn't go defense with their first 3 picks.  

Agreed.  The Lions have some quality depth at RB and a potential gamebreaker in Abdullah, health is the bigger concern.  Riddick is one of the best catching RBs in the game and can fill in as a primary RB in case of injury.  Unless a can't miss offensive gamebreaker falls to the Lions, I think they need to focus on drafting defense. 

As far as AP being a bad character is concerned, I don't agree with that method of child discipline but it doesn't mean he's a bad person or bad character.  I'm sure there are plenty of football players who come from rough upbringings who have done a lot worse in their life.  Not to excuse some of that behavior but just that most football players aren't exactly choir boys.   If AP can still play, they should make a pitch for him.  I don't think they need another RB but I can understand the allure of AP.  The Lions don't really have any dynamic gamebreakers outside of Abdullah if he ever remains healthy.

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

I guess we disagree on what constitutes child abuse and what constitutes discipline.  I would hazard a guess I'm older and more conservative than you.  Which doesn't make me right, but might explain the disagreement.

And what does that do to the Lions locker room?  What about his supposed "bad character" because he disciplines his kid physically makes him likely to somehow sour a lockroom full of professional football players?  Many of whom were probably raised in the same type of environment?

Unless you're saying you don't want him on your favorite team because you think he's a criminal.  Which is understandable.  But I don't see how that would affect how his teammates relate to him.  I haven't seen anything to say he is a bad teammate or a bad lockerroom guy.  But I might have missed it.

I'm curios now when old school discipline crosses over to abuse? Apparently not when a child has bloody lacerations on his body that require medical attention that even the mother, doctor, and a Texas court determined was abuse. 

This does affect a football team because I'm sure a lot of players bring their children to the facility and don't want them around a guy who beats children. Peterson was also suspended 15 games which affected his team. 

I don't think it impacts performance on the field or lockerrom dynamics, but a really strong man in his physical prime beating a young child with a switch is not something I would attempt to downplay personally.

6 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

So you're basically putting our entire running game on Abdullah's health?

No,  I think Riddick is actually way more important but between Abdullah, Riddick, Washington and Zenner I think they are fine there.   I don't think the RBs are the problem......I think it's been the line. 

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No,  I think Riddick is actually way more important but between Abdullah, Riddick, Washington and Zenner I think they are fine there.   I don't think the RBs are the problem......I think it's been the line. 

Riddick is great. Down late in the game, no other RB I want. But he sucks between the tackles. Abdullah has ball security issues and durability problems. I hope he overcomes them.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't think it impacts performance on the field or lockerrom dynamics, but a really strong man in his physical prime beating a young child with a switch is not something I would attempt to downplay personally.

I used to see that stuff growing up in detroit all the time.  Cultural norms differ.  Regardless, it's not anything I would ever do to my kid.

But you're right about the lockerroom.  I doubt those guys give a damn.  

It's a deep draft at RB anyway.  As much as I love Dalvin Cook, I'd be fine with upgrading the D in the first 2-3 rounds & find an RB later.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Buddha said:

I used to see that stuff growing up in detroit all the time.  Cultural norms differ.  Regardless, it's not anything I would ever do to my kid.

Interesting to see the way the public reacts to different people in different situations. Petersen's situation contrasted to the way so many people are embracing Jose Fernandez as a great guy and teamate. Now maybe if  Jose had survived and the guys he killed had not it would be different. I suppose people are less forgiving of the living than they are of the dead - but still interesting contrast.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting to see the way the public reacts to different people in different situations. Petersen's situation contrasted to the way so many people are embracing Jose Fernandez as a great guy and teamate. Now maybe if  Jose had survived and the guys he killed had not it would be different. I suppose people are less forgiving of the living than they are of the dead - but still interesting contrast.

I think some people are going to moralizing and get preachy on any issue.  "Won't someone please think of the children"-itis.

But your point is well taken. 

On 3/17/2017 at 5:20 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think the evidence suggests that. Our RBs yards after contact is pretty awful. Our line was not that awful last year that a decent RB couldn't run behind it at all. Riddick is what he is first of all, he's awesome, but he's not a pure, typical RB, especially a #1. With Riddick, Zenner and Washington as our 3 lead backs, we are going to have a **** run game, period. With Abdullah healthy, we will run the ball. The man had a very nice game against a very good run D in his 1 game, with the same OL everyone else ran behind. 

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

This. Like someone said above, its a cultural norm and the only way he has ever been. I got whooped and no plenty of other people who did. I hope the practice goes away, and I would never hit my kid like that, or likely at all but I think there is a middle ground here. I don't think this is about minimizing what he did, ratherunderstanding why

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting to see the  the public reacts to different people in different situations. Petersen's situation contrasted to the way so many people are embracing Jose Fernandez as a great guy and teamate. Now maybe if  Jose had survived and the guys he killed had not it would be different. I suppose people are less forgiving of the living than they are of the dead - but still interesting contrast.

I think that's a pretty poor example, but that's just me

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

I don't think the evidence suggests that. Our RBs yards after contact is pretty awful. Our line was not that awful last year that a decent RB couldn't run behind it at all. Riddick is what he is first of all, he's awesome, but he's not a pure, typical RB, especially a #1. With Riddick, Zenner and Washington as our 3 lead backs, we are going to have a **** run game, period. With Abdullah healthy, we will run the ball. The man had a very nice game against a very good run D in his 1 game, with the same OL everyone else ran behind. 

i agree.  with a stud rb the lions offense would be much much better.  they dont have that guy onnthe roster right now.

its why i would seriously think about fournette if he fell.  not cook, but fournette would make me think twice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

I think that's a pretty poor example, but that's just me

it wasn't supposed to be good or bad, it just is. I was just struck by another high profile athlete acting out in a way that was damaging to people around him and legally unacceptable but getting a different response at least in many quarters. As I say, the fact that Fernandez' mistakes cost him his life I'm sure has a lot to do with way the public has reacted. I suppose as a thought experiment try to imagine if Petersen had tripped, fallen, cracked his skull and died in the act.........

What Peterson did was wrong, but i don't think he's a bad dude.  That's how he was raised, and he passed that on.  He was punished for it and hopefully that cycle is broken.   I don't believe in whacking kids, but a slap on the bottom gets a point across, it doesn't have to be hard enough to hurt or leave a mark to get that across.   It's iffy.   I don't think it was a horrible intent on his part, just a way of progressing a bad policy.    

I don't want Peterson because I think he's aging, has been hurt too much and has basically run in an I-formation his whole career, which we don't really do here.    I think it would be a ticket selling move.              Now, if they got him dirt-cheap........maybe, but he's not worth what he wants.   Someone looking to make a ticket splash will overpay him.  Lions don't need to do that.    A team like the Chargers, Jaguars or Cardinals do.   

On 3/18/2017 at 5:50 PM, Buddha said:

I think some people are going to moralizing and get preachy on any issue.  "Won't someone please think of the children"-itis.

But your point is well taken. 

I frankly think beating a 4-year old with a switch and opening up a number of wounds is absolutely reprehensible independent of whether it is more common in some areas of the country than others. 

I would also add that there is a very large body of evidence to support the claim that type of discipline is highly damaging emotionally and developmentally for a child.

So I think it is quite possible for a fan to denounce that behavior and have concerns about someone who was guilty of that type of behavior without it being preachy or moralizing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't believe in whacking kids, but a slap on the bottom gets a point across, it doesn't have to be hard enough to hurt or leave a mark to get that across.   It's iffy.   I don't think it was a horrible intent on his part, just a way of progressing a bad policy. 

I think there is an ocean of difference between beating with a switch and a swat on the bottom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think there is an ocean of difference between beating with a switch and a swat on the bottom.

how about with a belt?

Also possible to psychologically torture a child without touching them I suppose. Probably a long list of bad things that can happen between children and parents.

11 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I see this is now the Dr.Phil thread.

I bet Dr Phil wouldn't want a 31 yr running back whether he is a creep or not