Nastradamus

2017 Offseason and free agency thread

2 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Roberts was alright as 4th WR last year. Had some big catches. But that is still production the Lions need to replace. There are some in house options that might be able to fill the hole he left. I am not big on Billingsley though. I like T.J. Jones but he has underwhelmed when given a chance.

His value to me was as a punt returner, he's really good at it.  I see Billingsley as a slot receiver, and I heard the Lions were going to give him a chance to win a spot there.  I see Martin as a returner only, who will get spot duty as a receiver.

Two questions:

1) Would anyone be fine with a signing of Hodges, instead of Hightower? (Basically, I'm talking salary cap space available here.)

2) Anyone willing to take a chance on Josh Gordon?

Not that we had the cap space for him at this point, but I am disappointed to see that Hightower resigned with the Patriots. Would have been real nice to have this guy manning our front 7.

Looking around the division, the biggest signings were:

Bears signed  QB Glennon, Safety Quintin Demps and Corner Prince Amukamara

Vikings signed LT Reiff, RT Mike Remmers

Pakers signed TE Martellus Bennett , tight end Lance Kendricks

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Looking around the division, the biggest signings were:

Bears signed  QB Glennon, Safety Quintin Demps and Corner Prince Amukamara

Vikings signed LT Reiff, RT Mike Remmers

Pakers signed TE Martellus Bennett , tight end Lance Kendricks

I would say the Lions won free agency since they should get points for signing away a pro bowl guard from Green Bay. 

All 3 other NFCN teams have had rough offseasons.

For GB, Signing Perry and Bennett was smart, but Cook was as good as Bennett last year and they lost two other pass rushers and their best DB from last year. 

Minny overpaid by a lot for their OTs and for Thielen IMO. They haven't upgraded much anywhere else either. 

Chicago losing Jeffery and signing Glennon to be their QB isn't pretty. 

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Not that we had the cap space for him at this point, but I am disappointed to see that Hightower resigned with the Patriots. Would have been real nice to have this guy manning our front 7.

He took less than other teams offered too, so we probably had no shot even with cap space

21 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Two questions:

1) Would anyone be fine with a signing of Hodges, instead of Hightower? (Basically, I'm talking salary cap space available here.)

2) Anyone willing to take a chance on Josh Gordon?

Hodges would be nice. I like him, Minter and Bruce Carter for us the most. 

Man I don't know what to think of AP here. I want to love it

They hosted Tim Lelito for a visit, he's a G/C type. Probably the top backup inside if Glasgow wins the LG job. 

I doubt AP would choose to play in Detroit if Oakland is an option. I honestly don't know how good he is anymore, though. Would the lions intend to use him as their primary back, or would they plan to split carries between him, AA, and riddick? Obviously you can never have enough depth, but wouldn't AP prefer a place that doesn't already have a couple guys on the depth chart?

I would take a chance on Peterson on a cheap one year deal. Peterson isn't your typical RB. With this improved OL, it's worth a shot. Maybe the chance to run behind this improved line and with a QB like Stafford could help sell Detroit. Plus he would get to stick it to Minnesota twice. 

Zero interest in Peterson. Old, bad character, serious injury concerns. If you want a piece of garbage RB, just take Mixon. At least he's young.

• Like 2

How is Adrian Peterson a bad character?

I don't want him because he's old and the Lions have more pressing needs to fill with their money, but I have never heard he's a bad character other than he's old school in disciplining his kid.  That doesn't make you a bad character that will affect the team.

20 minutes ago, Buddha said:

How is Adrian Peterson a bad character?

I don't want him because he's old and the Lions have more pressing needs to fill with their money, but I have never heard he's a bad character other than he's old school in disciplining his kid.  That doesn't make you a bad character that will affect the team.

He was charged with assaulting a 4 year old and suspended most of the season. It was a little more than old school discipline. 

A suspension in the NFL is not tied to any sort of understandable logic. Perhaps if you asphyxiated yourself just shy of passing out it may suddenly make sense, but that's not a gamble I recommend.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

He was charged with assaulting a 4 year old and suspended most of the season. It was a little more than old school discipline. 

He was disciplining his kid with a switch.  Old school style.

That doesn't make him a bad character to me.

We don't need to get into this debate again about discipline and law enforcement, but I don't think that makes him a bad character.  Maybe someone in need of parenting classes, but not a bad character.

25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

He was disciplining his kid with a switch.  Old school style.

That doesn't make him a bad character to me.

We don't need to get into this debate again about discipline and law enforcement, but I don't think that makes him a bad character.  Maybe someone in need of parenting classes, but not a bad character.

I guess we will disagree that child abuse doesn't make someone a bad character. 

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I guess we will disagree that child abuse doesn't make someone a bad character. 

I guess we disagree on what constitutes child abuse and what constitutes discipline.  I would hazard a guess I'm older and more conservative than you.  Which doesn't make me right, but might explain the disagreement.

And what does that do to the Lions locker room?  What about his supposed "bad character" because he disciplines his kid physically makes him likely to somehow sour a lockroom full of professional football players?  Many of whom were probably raised in the same type of environment?

Unless you're saying you don't want him on your favorite team because you think he's a criminal.  Which is understandable.  But I don't see how that would affect how his teammates relate to him.  I haven't seen anything to say he is a bad teammate or a bad lockerroom guy.  But I might have missed it.

If Peterson is even 80% of what he was in 2015 then I would love to have him but I do question whether that is the case.

I don't agree with it.. I don't even agree with spanking children. But What AP did to his kid is par for the course in East Texas where he is from. I don't agree with it. But my wife's family is from East texas, that is how it is. Kids get whoopins.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I don't agree with it.. I don't even agree with spanking children. But What AP did to his kid is par for the course in East Texas where he is from. I don't agree with it. But my wife's family is from East texas, that is how it is. Kids get whoopins.

yeah - I think it's dicey to make a moral judgement about a person working within a cultural norm that he hasn't been taught to question. As was noted, you can be wrong without being a bad person  - as well as the converse!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

I would hazard a guess I'm older and more conservative than you.  

This is exactly the kind of thing the old signature lines were made for.

I don't even think they need to get a RB in the top 3 rounds.   The RBs they have are fine, the question is their health.     They don't need a premiere back - they've got Theo Riddick and he's fine when he's healthy.    The better offensive line should help with the running game. 

I like the defensive strategy..   They are building the depth before getting their starters in the draft.   I would be shocked if they didn't go defense with their first 3 picks.  

Everything I have heard of about Peterson is that he's a jerk, the child abuse thing was just the cherry on top. People on this board routinely question player's character based on how hard it looks like they're trying on one individual play, so I'm willing to make the leap with Peterson when there's about 1000x more evidence.