Nastradamus

2017 Offseason and free agency thread

Just now, JAYB said:

FullSizeR1_01.jpg

Ha ha! That's funny.

This is great, though. Quinn seems to know what he's doing. Building from the lines out is what so many of us have been begging for for years.

• Like 1

Wow! Quinn is a boss. Mayhew reached to get Stafford "weapons". Quinn recognizes Stafford is the weapon, as long as he can stay clean. Love it.

• Like 2

I like the basic theory as well. Good O-linemen often play effectively longer than many other positions. I think in general they are safer FA signings than defensive players. Conversely, you can go to the draft on defense and see immediate impact from young fast players.

• Like 1

I don't follow college football much, but from what I read, this isn't a deep draft for offensive lineman so it seems to make sense to sign OL and draft defensive players which the draft is deep in. 

• Like 1

I have to applaud Quinn here.   Solid O-Line............only weak spot is LG and Glasgow can certainly improve - imagine if he makes the leap at LG that Swanson made at C.  

Now, the Lions can focus on building up that defense.   Get a RB later in the draft.   Riddick, Ameer & Zenner are fine, they weren't the problem.   

LB, CB, DE, LB, RB in the draft...........

I think between Glasgow,Tomlinson and Dahl they can figure out one spot. 

Swanson's a free agent next year right? I wonder if they used his money up 

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I didn't expect to land Wagner and Lang. What is the cap situation at now? I'm guessing the defense is going to need to be upgraded through the draft. 

We had around 22 mil before this and I think that also didn't include Fells. So basically right now we only have enough for the draft and emergency signing type moves. We have flexibility to add cap space in a few different ways though. 

8 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

We had around 22 mil before this and I think that also didn't include Fells. So basically right now we only have enough for the draft and emergency signing type moves. We have flexibility to add cap space in a few different ways though. 

They got what they wanted.  They have what looks like a really good O-line   and with the rest of the money they built up some depth on their defense- now get 2 or 3 starters on defense in the draft.     Please get some linebackers.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They got what they wanted.  They have what looks like a really good O-line   and with the rest of the money they built up some depth on their defense- now get 2 or 3 starters on defense in the draft.     Please get some linebackers.   

Basically. The idea of committing 5.7 mil of cap space to Ngata bothers me a lot, though he did grade well vs. the run last year. 4 mil for Whitehead has also bothered me, but I did read that he had a top 5 ranking in terms of tackle percentage. Its possible his skills are more useful as a run down SLB where his coverage issues can be masked. 

The entire LB market is waiting on Hightower it seems. We aren't getting him, but Zach Brown, Kevin Minter, Perry Riley, Gerald Hodges and a few other decent veteran bodies are out there and I have a feeling they find a way to land one of them. Then depth and draft for the rest. 

A Stafford or Ziggy extension will likely be used to open up a little cap space this year IMO

8 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Basically. The idea of committing 5.7 mil of cap space to Ngata bothers me a lot, though he did grade well vs. the run last year. 4 mil for Whitehead has also bothered me, but I did read that he had a top 5 ranking in terms of tackle percentage. Its possible his skills are more useful as a run down SLB where his coverage issues can be masked. 

The entire LB market is waiting on Hightower it seems. We aren't getting him, but Zach Brown, Kevin Minter, Perry Riley, Gerald Hodges and a few other decent veteran bodies are out there and I have a feeling they find a way to land one of them. Then depth and draft for the rest. 

A Stafford or Ziggy extension will likely be used to open up a little cap space this year IMO

But I worry about committing long-term to Ziggy right now.     Talent is a 10, Durability is a 4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But I worry about committing long-term to Ziggy right now.     Talent is a 10, Durability is a 4

He missed two games prior to last year. High ankle sprains always linger more than people understand. I think he'll be fine. I'm find if they don't want to commit to him, but he's not a 4/10 durability 

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Some. I like it, plural. We need multiple LBs. A pass rusher would be ideal.

10 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

He missed two games prior to last year. High ankle sprains always linger more than people understand. I think he'll be fine. I'm find if they don't want to commit to him, but he's not a 4/10 durability 

After last season, I would be hesitant to sign him to a long term deal. There is really no reason to gamble, he is still under contract. The franchise tag can always be used or threatened until they can work out a longer deal if he performs this year.

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

After last season, I would be hesitant to sign him to a long term deal. There is really no reason to gamble, he is still under contract. The franchise tag can always be used or threatened until they can work out a longer deal if he performs this year.

Yah, but his price also goes up if he has a big year. I can't imagine one year with no injuries that show signs of being long term affecting their decision making myself. 

Best news of the off season!

Andre Roberts, who was one of three players to house two punts for touchdowns, has signed a one-year deal worth $750,000 with Atlanta according to NFL Network.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/03/the_lions_are_in_the_market_fo.html

Now that's he's gone, Super Bowl here we come! 

Okay, not really, but I'm happy that Roberts got paid... by someone else.  I thought he WAY too often tried to run the ball out of the Endzone on kicks and almost always was tackled short of the 25 yard line.  According to the story linked above, he averaged 22.6 yards on kick returns... which apparently was good for 8th in the league, though I think that's probably because most returners didn't try to take it out.

I don't think that Mlive's #'s are correct.

Falcons signed WR Andre Roberts, formerly of the Lions, to a one-year, $1.8-million contract.

Roberts, 29, played 264 offensive snaps as the Lions' No. 4 receiver last season, catching 14 balls for 188 yards and one score. He also filled the role of the Lions' return man, averaging 22.2 yards per kick return and 11.7 on punts with two touchdowns. Roberts will likely play the same role in Atlanta.
Related: Lions

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 14 - 2:37 AM

16 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't think that Mlive's #'s are correct.

Falcons signed WR Andre Roberts, formerly of the Lions, to a one-year, $1.8-million contract.

Roberts, 29, played 264 offensive snaps as the Lions' No. 4 receiver last season, catching 14 balls for 188 yards and one score. He also filled the role of the Lions' return man, averaging 22.2 yards per kick return and 11.7 on punts with two touchdowns. Roberts will likely play the same role in Atlanta.
Related: Lions

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 14 - 2:37 AM

Looking at pro-football-reference, it looks like ESPN is using regular season plus playoffs while MLive is just using regular season numbers.

23 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Some. I like it, plural. We need multiple LBs. A pass rusher would be ideal.

Actually, we need a coverage LB just as badly.  Tight Ends and slot receivers destroyed the Lions last year.  I didn't mind Whitehead in spurts late last season but he's more of a run stuffer than a cover guy.  Look at the completion percentage against them especially by mediocre QBs, it was absurd, although that could be attributed to lack of pass rush also.

As far as pass rushing is concerned, they need Ansah to be healthy.  Having a healthy Ansah next season will be like adding a pass rusher because we got nothing from him last season.  Need to add another one opposite of him though.  I love what Quinn as done so far but still tons of work to be done on the defensive side.  Need a playmaker on offense also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Looking at pro-football-reference, it looks like ESPN is using regular season plus playoffs while MLive is just using regular season numbers.

I'm talking about contract.  Mlive just reported the bonus, but didn't say it was the bonus.  The bonus for the year is 750k.  The total contract is 1.8 million.

21 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I'm talking about contract.  Mlive just reported the bonus, but didn't say it was the bonus.  The bonus for the year is 750k.  The total contract is 1.8 million.

Oh, sorry.  I never even looked at the money side.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Actually, we need a coverage LB just as badly.  Tight Ends and slot receivers destroyed the Lions last year.  I didn't mind Whitehead in spurts late last season but he's more of a run stuffer than a cover guy.  Look at the completion percentage against them especially by mediocre QBs, it was absurd, although that could be attributed to lack of pass rush also.

As far as pass rushing is concerned, they need Ansah to be healthy.  Having a healthy Ansah next season will be like adding a pass rusher because we got nothing from him last season.  Need to add another one opposite of him though.  I love what Quinn as done so far but still tons of work to be done on the defensive side.  Need a playmaker on offense also.

How about the Lions just need good LBs. I agree TE TORCHED the Lions last year. Whitehead is awful in coverage, Tavon Wilson is also not very good in coverage. I agree they really need to find some ways to improve the pass defense. Adding a pass rusher would help by giving the QB less time to expose all the weaknesses on the defense. 

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Roberts was alright as 4th WR last year. Had some big catches. But that is still production the Lions need to replace. There are some in house options that might be able to fill the hole he left. I am not big on Billingsley though. I like T.J. Jones but he has underwhelmed when given a chance.