Nastradamus

2017 Offseason and free agency thread

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

stafford is the most important player in the franchise and he plays every preseason, why isnt ansah?

if it were just a high ankle sprain, it shouldnt take over a year to recover.

I forgot it was such a huge game.

7 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I forgot it was such a huge game.

but they put him on thr pup list for an ankle sprain that took place almost a year ago.  why is he still in mothballs and not practicing and not playing?

this isnt calvin johnson not practicing because he's old, this is a young guy in the prime of his career.

Detroit Lions‏Verified account 
@Lions
Following
More
We have agreed to terms with QB Matthew Stafford on a five-year contract extension through the 2022 season.

5 years, 135 million......................27 mil a year.    He's the highest paid until next year. 

In 3 years 27 million a year might not even be Top 10 for a QB.  

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

i see a lot of comments on other sites about stafford sucking.

what the **** were they watching last year? nascar?

anything under $30M was a good deal.

Everybody loves to hate the quarterback. It's just one of those fandom logic things -  because you can't win with a bad QB it must follow that you can't lose with a good one.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Everybody loves to hate the quarterback. It's just one of those fandom logic things -  because you can't win with a bad QB it must follow that you can't lose with a good one.

it's just baffling that people would rather have an uninformed opinion than remain silent.

well i guess it's not really baffling, but it should be :depress:

Had to be done.  Don't understand all the bitching and moaning on social media about the Lions being the Lions.   A Lions thing to do would have been to deal Stafford or Stafford retiring this offseason because the Lions drove him to retirement.

With Luck and Carr getting the monster contracts, this was inevitable.  It's just too bad that Stafford is stuck with the Lions for the next 5 years.  Prove me wrong Quinn and co.

I guess I'm happy they finally got this deal done. At the same time, it was always going to get done, and it was always going to be for this amount, more or less. 

Quinn still has a lot of work to do, but having your good quarterback locked down is an important piece. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'm really surprised it wasn't north of the 30 mark. I thought with the Kirk Cousin's franchise tag being north of $30 next year that Stafford's camp may have looked to use that as leverage and push for him to make over $30/per. I was wrong.

28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm really surprised it wasn't north of the 30 mark. I thought with the Kirk Cousin's franchise tag being north of $30 next year that Stafford's camp may have looked to use that as leverage and push for him to make over $30/per. I was wrong.

i think staffords franchise tag would have been $26 million.

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think staffords franchise tag would have been $26 million.

I think I remember seeing some analysis about how much he would make under each of the franchise tags, and the subsequent increase in QB contracts over the next few years as an illustration of the type of leverage he had. Of course, going year to year under the tag after this season opens him up to injury and a smaller guarantee. 

I'm actually kind of surprised it wasn't for more, though. This seems like a pretty fair deal to me.