Jump to content

Nastradamus

2017 Offseason and free agency thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

That trade makes no sense to me.  Osweiler + 2nd rounder + 6th rounder for a fourth rounder?  Steal for the Browns.

The Texans just wanted to get rid of him so they paid to get it done, doesn't make sense to have a $72M backup.  Obviously a great move for the Browns considering all the cap space they currently have and I read somewhere that they can cut him after the season with no cap repercussions.

No surprise that the Lions cut Levy, had to be done.  Still a lot of work to be done to build up that defense.  Reiff signing with Minnesota might be the best news of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spence and washington are depth moves only.

Would love to see them sign tj lang but he'll probably be too expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Spence and washington are depth moves only.

Would love to see them sign tj lang but he'll probably be too expensive.

Yup, important depth though. Good scheme fits, good ages. I'm hoping we have one more splash in us though. Maybe not Hightower but maybe Sheard or Logan. Just so happens all the Patriot guys fit us pretty well haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Per Birkett, they are designating him a June 1 cut, so they save 5 million.

Was hoping they'd do this. Tells me they plan to spend most of their cap this year most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yup, important depth though. Good scheme fits, good ages. I'm hoping we have one more splash in us though. Maybe not Hightower but maybe Sheard or Logan. Just so happens all the Patriot guys fit us pretty well haha

They need HIghtower.

Logan just signed with Titans.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Buddha said:

They need HIghtower.

Logan just signed with Titans.

Damn . . . Logan Ryan was top of the list for me. That would have really put things into place with their secondary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Their defense is going to be terrible again next year.

Certainly a lot of work to be done, but its early. Its a deep defensive draft and there will definitely be more FA additions to that front 7 at the least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Buddha said:

They need HIghtower.

Logan just signed with Titans.

If they're looking at Lang, who will likely get 10-12 mil, there's no reason to think they couldn't afford Hightower. Either one of them would be a pretty  impressive move IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

If they're looking at Lang, who will likely get 10-12 mil, there's no reason to think they couldn't afford Hightower. Either one of them would be a pretty  impressive move IMO

From a money standpoint it appears Quinn is paying in FA to bolster the lines, which I would imagine is generally cheaper than other positions.  This appears to be a very deep draft, so there should be value for them at the other positions of need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Over-under on games played in 2017 by D.J. Hayden, 7.5.

You're already down on the Lions.  1 day into FA, after Quinn has made some nice moves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8491.jpg

The 12th overall pick of the 2013 draft, Hayden was one of many first-round busts that year. Many experts had Hayden pegged as the best corner in that draft, but he's had a far worse start to his career than the three corners -- Desmond Trufant, Xavier Rhodes, Darius Slay -- drafted directly after him. Hayden couldn't cut it on the outside in Oakland, so the Raiders tried him in the slot. He was somewhat serviceable there, but no better than league average. Maybe DC Teryl Austin can get more out of Hayden. He's still just 27 (in June). It's not a bad flier. Mar 10 - 8:39 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8491/dj-hayden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wagner: a lot of money but i like it.  Upgrade over reiff.  Good move.

Worrilow: depth move. Meh.

Cutting levy: like it.  I didnt think he would play at all last year and he surprised me. When he came back i didnt think his heart was in it.  I think he's done with football.  No loss.

Washington: cheap signing for not a lot of money.  Depth move.

Spence: a little too much money for a bad player.  Dont like this move.  I know they need bodies at dt but this seems like too much for a guy who sucks.

Hayden: i like it.  Taking a flyer on potential.  Not an overpay.  Doesnt tie you down.

Now go get lang or hightower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Wagner: a lot of money but i like it.  Upgrade over reiff.  Good move.

Worrilow: depth move. Meh.

Cutting levy: like it.  I didnt think he would play at all last year and he surprised me. When he came back i didnt think his heart was in it.  I think he's done with football.  No loss.

Washington: cheap signing for not a lot of money.  Depth move.

Spence: a little too much money for a bad player.  Dont like this move.  I know they need bodies at dt but this seems like too much for a guy who sucks.

Hayden: i like it.  Taking a flyer on potential.  Not an overpay.  Doesnt tie you down.

Now go get lang or hightower.

I think this is pretty perfect. I never liked Hayden, but the upside is there. They clearly see something in Spence, but IDK what it is. 

Washington was pretty damn effective as an interior pass rusher last year, so that could be the sneaky signing of the offseason IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions still have tons of holes to fill.  They have no right guard, they need a defensive end, their linebacking corp is a disaster and no quality depth at corner.  I think Lang and Hightower will be too expensive so it's probably more low level signings and the draft.   I really like the Wagner move but other than that, not one starter in the bunch.  Still early in free agency though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't mind going a little cheaper at LB than Hightower, who's a large gamble. Kevin Minter or Zach Brown, maybe Gerald Hodges or Bruce Carter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nastradamus said:

Wouldn't mind going a little cheaper at LB than Hightower, who's a large gamble. Kevin Minter or Zach Brown, maybe Gerald Hodges or Bruce Carter

Zach Brown would be a solid get as he is only 27 years old and is coming off of a Pro Bowl season. I think Hightower sets the market price, so you'd have to think that Brown comes in below what Hightower is going to get paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If last year is a guide, quinn will identify the big fish he wants and then overpay them.  Then he does a lot of depth signings.

While i would be happy to see lang or hightower, i would be surprised if we did it.  I dont see us busting the bank, especially with stafford and ansah extensions coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      95,430
    • Total Posts
      2,708,336
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×