Nastradamus

2017 Offseason and free agency thread

275 posts in this topic

Seems like we should have a separate thread than the draft thread, so I'll start one up. 

What FAs would people like us to target? Should we target any bigger free agents?  Any bargain bin steals people see as available? What about guys you'd avoid like the plague?

Trade options?

Brandon Albert was just cut. He'd intrigue me as a RT option. I would love to get that hole covered asap so we can move on with the rest of our offseason. 

If they let Warford go and don't even look for a replacement because they have Tomlinson, I'm going to lose my mind. Get a guard from somewhere, that's my free agency demand.

10 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

If they let Warford go and don't even look for a replacement because they have Tomlinson, I'm going to lose my mind. Get a guard from somewhere, that's my free agency demand.

I get it both ways. New England likes to throw bodies at the problem on the OL and trust that young guys will develop in year 2 or 3. That said, Tomlinson has shown almost no promise. Very curious to see how they attack the OL either way. I would expect Dahl to give him tough competition either way. 

20 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I get it both ways. New England likes to throw bodies at the problem on the OL and trust that young guys will develop in year 2 or 3. That said, Tomlinson has shown almost no promise. Very curious to see how they attack the OL either way. I would expect Dahl to give him tough competition either way. 

This is just not true. He has plus physical gifts, just still very inconsistent with his technique.

29 minutes ago, Longgone said:

This is just not true. He has plus physical gifts, just still very inconsistent with his technique.

I agree he has gifts, he just hasn't really used them in the NFL. I loved him as a prospect, had him as eerily similar to Warford

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

I agree he has gifts, he just hasn't really used them in the NFL. I loved him as a prospect, had him as eerily similar to Warford

Technique can be learned, so there is hope, been frustrating, though. Usually does take oline some time, however.

I could see doing that if they had a second guard, but they don't. Glasgow and Tomlinson were two of the worst OL in the NFL last year and the other guy is another 2nd year guy who didn't play. If they want to actually be able to run the ball at least one proven player would be nice

6 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I could see doing that if they had a second guard, but they don't. Glasgow and Tomlinson were two of the worst OL in the NFL last year and the other guy is another 2nd year guy who didn't play. If they want to actually be able to run the ball at least one proven player would be nice

I would prefer to keep Warford or sign someone similar myself. I have no idea what they're going to do though. 

One way or another, they'll probably have to pick at least one position to cheap out at. Likely OL or CB and also RB IMO. 

There are a couple of bigger name guys, like Joeckel & Omameh, who are FAs but will cost.  My guess is Quinn will target a couple cheaper options on the OL in FA, & draft another one.

9 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

One way or another, they'll probably have to pick at least one position to cheap out at. Likely OL or CB and also RB IMO. 

Yeah, I'm not even saying it isn't POSSIBLE it could work out, it just seems like an inability to run the ball has been the Lions achilles heel for 20 years, so I'd rather not take a gamble there again

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Yeah, I'm not even saying it isn't POSSIBLE it could work out, it just seems like an inability to run the ball has been the Lions achilles heel for 20 years, so I'd rather not take a gamble there again

I agree, but I do think much more was the RB position than people realize. Abdullah produces behind the same line when he's out there. Even Riddick got 4 ypc when he got the call. 

This is not me devaluing OL fwiw, I just think our RBs have  lacked talent to an extreme.  

Offseason plan idea

Ngata and Whitehead cut, immediately. 10 mil saved, puts us at about 42 mil. You're probably looking at 12 for the draft and rollover/emergencies/etc. 

So 30 mil in cap space. 

I'm sticking with my Ebron for Sheldon Richardson trade idea. I'd also consider a 2018 first for him. Its not perfect, but in the end its damn cheap for a high end DL in his prime. He's exactly what we need. I think its plausible, as the Jets have too many DL, Ebron has an extra year of control and they were last in TE catches. 

Re-signings  - Boldin, Bynes,Bostic,Charles,Bryant(probably only eats up about 6-8 mil)

Signings

Jared Odrick(3/14.5) - cheap, versatile, scheme friendly veteran DL, - 3 mil cap hit

Stephen Wisniewski (3/10)- Kind of a veteran version of Glasgow. They compete for the LG spot, loser is the 4th interior guy.          - 3 mil cap hit

Dre Kirkpatrick (4/25-30) - Veteran CB with size that this team is lacking. Best CB in the league on go routes last year, supports the run. - 5 mil cap hit

Ryan Griffith and Levine Toloilo both signed to 2/6 deals. Stop gap type solutions for TE.  6 mil cap hit

Andre Ellington( 1/1.5) 1.5 cap hit

Micah Hyde signed 4/20 - 4 mil cap hit(basically he'll play both SS and nickel. 

Other trades -  Bush and Burton both dealt for 7th rounders, lets say one this year, one next. 

Move Levy to MLB

QB - Stafford - Rudock 

RB - Abdullah - Riddick - Zenner/UDFA competition - Washington/Ellington

TE - Griffith - Toloilo - Lee/Harbor/Charles/Wick

WR - JOnes - Tate - Boldin - Billingsley/Jones - rookie developmental type

OT - Decker - Moton - Robinson - Lucas

OG - Glasgow/Wiz - Tomlinson - Dahl 

C - Swanson -(Glasgow/Wiz)

DE - Ansah - Barnett - Hyder - (Odrick) - Bryant - Zettel

DT - Robinson - RIchardson - (Odrick) - CHarles -Glasgow - Thornton

OLB - Walker- Brown - Williams - Bynes - Armbrister (Kilebrew) 

MLB - Levy - Bostic

S - Quin - Wilson - Hyde(nickel) - Kilebrew(moneybacker) - Carey vs. 7th rounder

CB - Slay - Kirkpatrick - Lawson - Bademosi - Diggs - Carter/Barnes/rookie 6th rounder

Draft 

1.  Barnett or best edge guy left

2.  Taylor Moton or Dion Dawkins for RT

3. Anthony Walker, LB, Northwestern

4. Jayon Brown, LB, UCLA

5. Ryan Glasgow,DT, MIchigan

6. CB

6. WR

7. S

Something like that at least. Kinda fun to look into whether or not there is a path to contention. I think this would put us pretty close. OL will have to come through. Secondary and LB should be improved. TE is deeper and a little more. Richardson and a 1st round edge rusher would be a huge help to the DL. Offensive weapon may be your biggest concern. Other option is to undo the Ebron trade, not sign Toloilo and maybe sign a cheap body on the DL. if you feel the need

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, pyrotigers said:

Don't overstate it.  Its been 15 years.

Is there any price at which people would re-sign either Devin Taylor or Tyrunn Walker?

On 2/16/2017 at 4:01 PM, pyrotigers said:

Was Glasgow that bad?  Wasn't he forced to play center a lot?

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Was Glasgow that bad?  Wasn't he forced to play center a lot?

He started taking over LG for TOmlinson for 8 weeks or so until Swanson's injury. He rated as bad or worse than Tomlinson actually at G. Just as bad maybe worse at C. He had flashes though and the coaches seem to believe in him more than Tomlinson. 

Glasgow had some good plays, but he had a couple of games where he just got physically dominated. Tomlinson seemed much more consistently bad, but maybe not quite as explosively.

1 person likes this

If we could get him as a cheap flyer, say 1/3, I'd do it. Otherwise, go a rookie or a Rex Burkhead type

No way to Charles.  He's redundant,  Has 2 acl's.  Not the type the Lions need.  I would take Cook since he is younger and faster.  Although he has issues.

I have 2 ACL's too!

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I have 2 ACL's too!

Charles doesn't.

I don't care a ton about the ACLs, but he's likely out of our price range anyways. He's too talented not to gamble on at a certain price point though IMO. Redundant I don't care about.