RedRamage

SuperBowl 51

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I wonder how the 16:04 compares to previous seasons?  Actually, rather than just looking at the Super Bowl by itself, what about the regular season averages on a year over year basis?  If they seek to quicken the length of the game from beginning to end without adjust the game clock of 60 minutes, how much does the 16:04 (or whatever the actual time of ball in play) get dug into?

I found an article online that says an NFL game averages about 12 minutes of "action" and baseball has about 18 minutes. 

Hockey and basketball have 60 and 48 minutes, obviously, because the game clock only runs while the ball is play. 

Soccer and its 90 minutes running clock has about 60 minutes of ball in play action. 

That of course leads to a large amount of dead time during any game. Whether the dead time is entertaining at some level is a different story. For a football game, the replays of previous plays at different angles and to highlight some aspect of the play that may have been missed is still entertaining to a certain extent. In baseball, the dead time between pitches can be dramatic depending on the state of the game. 

As to whether it would be beneficial to increase the amount of action in a football game within the 60 minutes of clock, it's hard to say. You could shorten the play clock which could increase the number of plays. You could stop the clock more often. But then the era amount of time it would take to complete the game would increase, and the games are already pretty long. You would need to cut into the extended breaks that allow for commercials and we know that isn't happening. 

I can't even imagine the terrible pain the Falcon fans are going through. They looked quite Lionesque in the 2nd half. At least, the 4th quarter. They had a 19 point lead going into the 4th? I thought only the Lions would be capable of blowing that.

Yes, at the video above, around 3 hours and 1 minute in, you can see what I'm talking about. 

The defender ripped the ball out at the end which implies Mitchell still had a hand on the ball. Otherwise, I think the defender would have just picked the ball up. That contact I assume would result in the player being down. This seems to be supported by the defender not reacting at all like there was a fumble.

I think this may fall under the rule where a runner is down if they make no effort to get up.

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

The defender ripped the ball out at the end which implies Mitchell still had a hand on the ball. Otherwise, I think the defender would have just picked the ball up. That contact I assume would result in the player being down. This seems to be supported by the defender not reacting at all like there was a fumble.

I think this may fall under the rule where a runner is down if they make no effort to get up.

Not talking about a fumble. It was incomplete. You need to see the last  replay of the play that they show. Might need a better video source but it clearly bounces in the final replay. 

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

As to whether it would be beneficial to increase the amount of action in a football game within the 60 minutes of clock, it's hard to say. You could shorten the play clock which could increase the number of plays. You could stop the clock more often. But then the era amount of time it would take to complete the game would increase, and the games are already pretty long. You would need to cut into the extended breaks that allow for commercials and we know that isn't happening. 

More action would = more injuries and the wastage rate for the average team in a full season is already close to being the biggest determinant of season success around the league.

52 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not talking about a fumble. It was incomplete. You need to see the last  replay of the play that they show. Might need a better video source but it clearly bounces in the final replay. 

All I see on that last replay is the ball secure against the center of his chest and his elbow hitting the ground.  I never even see the ball move, let alone come near the ground.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.00.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.00.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.00.01 PM.png

EDIT: That last one is as far as I could go in the replay before they cut away.