RedRamage

SuperBowl 51

Anyone else think the Falcons got a little screwed with the calls in the second half?  I thought especially the fumble Ryan's hand was moving forward.  Also there was a facemask call on a reception that should have been off-setting penalty I thought.

9 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Anyone else think the Falcons got a little screwed with the calls in the second half?  I thought especially the fumble Ryan's hand was moving forward.  Also there was a facemask call on a reception that should have been off-setting penalty I thought.

A few holding calls were missed for sure.........including the game winning touchdown. 

i guess i don't care anymore. i had the tv on the whole time, this was probably an exciting game for a neutral, i've been a brady fan, yet i was bored throughout.

glad it's done for another year. who cares.

That was quite the finish. Have to say I thought N.E.s goose was cooked when they failed to score the 1st TD on the 2nd half. Brady had a good day for an average QB -  in just one quarter.

13 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

When Brady left Michigan, across the middle (i.e easy) was still about the only throw they really trusted him to make reliably. His technical proficiency was a work in progress to say the least, but even then he had a lot of nerve.

The officials were not the story. Not at all. The story was that, with 8:31 left in the 4th quarter, up 28-12, on their own 36 with a 3rd and 1, the Falcons dialed up a downfield pass play where Ryan was strip-sacked and turned over the football. Five plays and two minutes thirty seconds later, the Patriots were in the end zone and, with a two point conversion, within eight.

That play call will haunt Kyle Shanahan for the rest of his life, and should. The only reason you call that play in that situation is arrogance. Call a power run, an outside stretch run, a stick route, a rub route, a quick out or slant to Julio Jones. Anything but what they called!!! Don't send a man downfield and ask your OL to hold on to their blocks for 4+ seconds when you need one lousy yard to ice the game. Pure arrogance on Shanahan's part (and Ryan's for throwing deep) and it burned them.

Ryan's hand definitely was not moving forward.

http://www.patriots.com/video/2017/02/05/cant-miss-play-alan-branch-recovers-matt-ryan-fumble

9 hours ago, sagnam said:

Looking at the replay, it's really, really close...  I think the arm/elbow was moving forward, but the hand probably wasn't at the point the ball came out... probably one of those things that a fan who had interest in the game could see either way.  I guess it surprised me most that they didn't even seem to review it.  I'm sure someone looked at it quick, but given how close it was I figured they would look at it for a extended period of time, not just 10-20 seconds.

Near the end of the game was there a reception by New England that bounced but Atlanta didn't get a challenge in?

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

The officials were not the story. Not at all. The story was that, with 8:31 left in the 4th quarter, up 28-12, on their own 36 with a 3rd and 1, the Falcons dialed up a downfield pass play where Ryan was strip-sacked and turned over the football. Five plays and two minutes thirty seconds later, the Patriots were in the end zone and, with a two point conversion, within eight.

That play call will haunt Kyle Shanahan for the rest of his life, and should. The only reason you call that play in that situation is arrogance. Call a power run, an outside stretch run, a stick route, a rub route, a quick out or slant to Julio Jones. Anything but what they called!!! Don't send a man downfield and ask your OL to hold on to their blocks for 4+ seconds when you need one lousy yard to ice the game. Pure arrogance on Shanahan's part (and Ryan's for throwing deep) and it burned them.

I think the biggest mistake was not running the ball three times when they were in field goal range. Make the 40 yard field goal and it's game over. 

• Like 1

I think the biggest mistake was not running the ball three times when they were in field goal range. Make the 40 yard field goal and it's game over. 

Also a huge mistake, based on stubborn unwillingness to play smart situational football.

I may be misremembering, but I think this sequence you refer to came after the strip-sack. My recollection is that the strip-sack was what allowed the avalanche to start.

6 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Also a huge mistake, based on stubborn unwillingness to play smart situational football.

I may be misremembering, but I think this sequence you refer to came after the strip-sack. My recollection is that the strip-sack was what allowed the avalanche to start.

You are right that what I'm taking about came after the strip sack. My thought is that a lot of different things can happen over the course of the game, so if I was an Atlanta fan and wanted to beat myself up, my focus would be on the later mistake, especially given the ease with which they could have salted the game away with the field goal. 

Even if the strip sack doesn't happen, they could have still ended up stalling out on that drive. The strip sack play was a bad call but at least somewhat defensible. I can't think of anything defensible about not just taking the FG chance late in the game. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I agree.  Was it too much stubbornness in going with what had gotten them into that point of the season (Ryan)?  Did the injury to the one RB factor into this too much?  Did the comeback put the Falcons' into a position where they thought that they were the team that was behind in the game?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Near the end of the game was there a reception by New England that bounced but Atlanta didn't get a challenge in?

Was that the one where it bounced off the Atlanta players foot?  They showed the replay a bunch and it looked like a good catch to me.  Unless there was a different once you were talking about.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I agree.  Was it too much stubbornness in going with what had gotten them into that point of the season (Ryan)?  Did the injury to the one RB factor into this too much?  Did the comeback put the Falcons' into a position where they thought that they were the team that was behind in the game?

My guess is that they panicked after they lost a yard on first down. They were looking at a 40 yarder and were probably worried about missing the FG and giving Brady a short field to work with. The clock wasn't a big issue, because NE still had their time outs anyway, so an incomplete pass wouldn't be the worst thing. I don't think it was stubbornness, but I do think they figured there was little danger to throwing the ball and that they could avoid a sack or penalty. Obviously that didn't happen and they lost 23 yards in the process. They took a calculated risk, but the problem was that they really didn't have to. I guess you weigh the risk of losing more yards by passing vs the risk of missing the field goal. It's p

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Was that the one where it bounced off the Atlanta players foot?  They showed the replay a bunch and it looked like a good catch to me.  Unless there was a different once you were talking about.

No, not the amazing Edelman catch. That was 100% a catch.

It was a different one, but I had the volume down and was distracted when the thing I thought I saw happened. It was a relatively long pass close to the near sideline and I think it was on the patriots drive that eventually cut it to 8. The drive right after the strip sack, I think. Receiver caught it, and as he was falling it came out and was clearly loose and bounced back into his arms as he hit the ground. The patriots were in a hurry and the replay was shown quickly as they were about to run their next play. I think there may have been 3-4 seconds between seeing the replay and the next play happening. I will have to go to the game log and see if I can find what I'm thinking of. 

Ok, so I think it was the catch by Malcolm Mitchell on 3rd and 11 with 7 minutes to go. It was a 12 yard reception and gave the patriots a first down around the 15 yard line. 

Yes, at the video above, around 3 hours and 1 minute in, you can see what I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I wonder how the 16:04 compares to previous seasons?  Actually, rather than just looking at the Super Bowl by itself, what about the regular season averages on a year over year basis?  If they seek to quicken the length of the game from beginning to end without adjust the game clock of 60 minutes, how much does the 16:04 (or whatever the actual time of ball in play) get dug into?

I'll admit, I was hoping for a review of the winning play to show that the runner's knee was down before crossing the plain.  Not for egg on face of the refs.  I just wanted to see the scrambling and chaos of getting folks and confetti off of the field to continue the game.