Sign in to follow this  
jimtigers65

February successes

I'm working on getting all the Tigers 1978 Topps cards signed. In the mail today, Ben Oglivie and Jim Slaton. These came from a private signing. The Slaton is an OPC which says he is a member of the Tigers. Currently have 20 1978 Tigers autograph cards.  

Oglivie Slaton.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, jimtigers65 said:

I'm working on getting all the Tigers 1978 Topps cards signed. In the mail today, Ben Oglivie and Jim Slaton. These came from a private signing. The Slaton is an OPC which says he is a member of the Tigers. Currently have 20 1978 Tigers autograph cards.  

Very cool!  Ya know Jim, you gotta do the Billingham and Dillard from the Burger King set also!  :D

6 hours ago, davidsb said:

Very cool!  Ya know Jim, you gotta do the Billingham and Dillard from the Burger King set also!  :D

Good point, I might have to check ebay and pick up some extras (don't want to break up my set). 

In the mail today, 1978 Dave Rozema signature. 

Made a trade from another site. I received autographs cards of Ike Brown (1972 Topps) and Casey Wise (1960 Topps). Will post pictures soon. 

I thought some people might be interested in the status of getting autographs at spring training.  I was at Lakeland from Monday, Feb. 13 (the day the pitchers had to report) - Sat., Feb. 18 (the day after the position players had to report.  Except for the last day, I was there from 8AM - 2 or 3PM each day.

First, it was much harder to get autos this year than last year, which was an unusual year because the players last year had to walk past you (within about five feet) four different times due to all the construction.  So that was not a fair comparison, since last year was my best ever.

However, compared to previous years it was still much harder to get autos.  The Tigers designed their facilities so that the players could easily avoid the fans if they wished, and it seemed like that was what was happening.  The players used the sidewalk a long ways away from where the fans stood by the fence that lead up to the batting cages.  By Wed. they allowed us to go back to this sidewalk, where a few players signed.  But only about 6 - 8 people could get into the front row to get the players to sign.  A few of the players went down the fence line, but they did not have to.  A friend of mine who has gone to spring training every year since 1983 said that this was the worst year yet to get autographs!

Having said that, I still had a great time despite getting about 1/2 of the autos that I got last year, and generally lesser players.  However...

...the following players did sign cards for me:

Victor Alcantara, Tyler Alexander, Al Avila, Alex Avila, Sandy Baez, Beau Burrows, Dave Clark, Wm. Cuevas, Tyler Collins, Buck Farmer, Scott Fletcher, Mike Gerber, Austin Green, Grayson Greiner, Shane Greene, Blaine Hardy, John Hicks, Derek Hill, Jacoby Jones, Logan Kensing, Jason Krizan, Gerald Laird, Gene Lamont, Jairom Labort, Mark Lowe, Dixon Machado, Mikie Matook, Matt Manning, James McCann, Dustin Molleken, Edwad Mujica, Daniel Norris, Juan Perez, Jeff Pico, Alex Presley, Brett Pill, Adam Ravenelle, Andrew Romine, Kyle Ryan, and Drew VerHagen.

However, my favorite items I got signed include:

Al Kaline - "The Detroit Tigers Book" (by Wm. Anderson)

J.D. Martinez - photo

Michael Fulmer - Photo of him taken from a recent edition of the SI Magazine

Alex Avila - Photo of him posting with his huge swordfish that he recently caught!

James McCann - 2 issues of "Mud Times" showing him on the cover with an artistic slant to him batting, plus my "The Detroit Tigers Book"

Alan Trammel - My "The Detroit Tigers Book", my '84 team ball, and the Cover of a biography book just published about him.

Brad Ausmus - My "The Detroit Tigers Book" and a photo of the "Last Pitch at Tiger Stadium" where he was the catcher

Nick Castellanos - Cover of the 2016 Detroit Tiger Magazine where he is pictured.

Jose Iglesias and Ian Kinsler - Cover of the 2016 Detroit Tigers Magazine where they are pictured sitting on second base just like Lou and Tram did on the Tiger yearbook cover almost 40 years ago.  This was my favorite item that I got signed!

The following also signed my "The Detroit Tigers Book":  Steven Moya and Blaine Hardy and Todd Jones

The following also signed my Detroit Tigers 2016 yearbook over their photo:  Andrew Romine, Daniel Norris, Dixon Machado, Mark Lowe, Blaine Hardy, Tyler Collins, Michael Boyd, Gene Lamont, Buck Farmer, Shane Greene, James McCann, Steven Moya, Angel Nesbitt, and Mike Pelfry.

Note: I am curious how people did this week.  I just got a text from a friend who got 28 autos today, including Miggy, J.D., McCann, Rondon, and Parrish.

Finally, on Saturday night I attended an event sponsored by the Ted Williams Museum that was held at Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays.  Here I got:

Pete Rose in his book, "My Prison without Bars"

Tony Perez on a National League ball, as well as...

Jake Wood (2 Tiger books), Ron LeFlore (one Tiger book), and the following people on cards:  Tony Oliva, Luis Tiant, Toby Hall, Cookie Rojas, Willy Adames, plus....

The following signed my event program next to their photo:  Cookie Rojas, Willy Adames, Jack Billingham, Ryan Garton, Dolly Niemiec and Sue Parson (from the League of Their Own),, Richie Scheinblum, Jake Wood, Ron LeFlore, and Scott McGregor.

Actually I was somewhat disappointed in this event, since Al Kaline, Darrell Evans, and Howard Johnson were "no-shows" for this event.

Finally, despite the limited availability at Joker Marchant Stadium, I still had a great time with my friend Nick along with the rest of the gang.  The 70 degree plus weather did not hurt either!

Note:  Dave, your signed cards should arrive on Thursday.  Jim, as you requested I am holding unto your signed Mikie Matook baseball, along with the photos of me getting the ball signed that appeared on the Tigers website!

47 minutes ago, detroittigerfan said:

I thought some people might be interested in the status of getting autographs at spring training.  I was at Lakeland from Monday, Feb. 13 (the day the pitchers had to report) - Sat., Feb. 18 (the day after the position players had to report.  Except for the last day, I was there from 8AM - 2 or 3PM each day.

First, it was much harder to get autos this year than last year, which was an unusual year because the players last year had to walk past you (within about five feet) four different times due to all the construction.  So that was not a fair comparison, since last year was my best ever.

However, compared to previous years it was still much harder to get autos.  The Tigers designed their facilities so that the players could easily avoid the fans if they wished, and it seemed like that was what was happening.  The players used the sidewalk a long ways away from where the fans stood by the fence that lead up to the batting cages.  By Wed. they allowed us to go back to this sidewalk, where a few players signed.  But only about 6 - 8 people could get into the front row to get the players to sign.  A few of the players went down the fence line, but they did not have to.  A friend of mine who has gone to spring training every year since 1983 said that this was the worst year yet to get autographs!

Having said that, I still had a great time despite getting about 1/2 of the autos that I got last year, and generally lesser players.  However...

...the following players did sign cards for me:

Victor Alcantara, Tyler Alexander, Al Avila, Alex Avila, Sandy Baez, Beau Burrows, Dave Clark, Wm. Cuevas, Tyler Collins, Buck Farmer, Scott Fletcher, Mike Gerber, Austin Green, Grayson Greiner, Shane Greene, Blaine Hardy, John Hicks, Derek Hill, Jacoby Jones, Logan Kensing, Jason Krizan, Gerald Laird, Gene Lamont, Jairom Labort, Mark Lowe, Dixon Machado, Mikie Matook, Matt Manning, James McCann, Dustin Molleken, Edwad Mujica, Daniel Norris, Juan Perez, Jeff Pico, Alex Presley, Brett Pill, Adam Ravenelle, Andrew Romine, Kyle Ryan, and Drew VerHagen.

However, my favorite items I got signed include:

Al Kaline - "The Detroit Tigers Book" (by Wm. Anderson)

J.D. Martinez - photo

Michael Fulmer - Photo of him taken from a recent edition of the SI Magazine

Alex Avila - Photo of him posting with his huge swordfish that he recently caught!

James McCann - 2 issues of "Mud Times" showing him on the cover with an artistic slant to him batting, plus my "The Detroit Tigers Book"

Alan Trammel - My "The Detroit Tigers Book", my '84 team ball, and the Cover of a biography book just published about him.

Brad Ausmus - My "The Detroit Tigers Book" and a photo of the "Last Pitch at Tiger Stadium" where he was the catcher

Nick Castellanos - Cover of the 2016 Detroit Tiger Magazine where he is pictured.

Jose Iglesias and Ian Kinsler - Cover of the 2016 Detroit Tigers Magazine where they are pictured sitting on second base just like Lou and Tram did on the Tiger yearbook cover almost 40 years ago.  This was my favorite item that I got signed!

The following also signed my "The Detroit Tigers Book":  Steven Moya and Blaine Hardy and Todd Jones

The following also signed my Detroit Tigers 2016 yearbook over their photo:  Andrew Romine, Daniel Norris, Dixon Machado, Mark Lowe, Blaine Hardy, Tyler Collins, Michael Boyd, Gene Lamont, Buck Farmer, Shane Greene, James McCann, Steven Moya, Angel Nesbitt, and Mike Pelfry.

Note: I am curious how people did this week.  I just got a text from a friend who got 28 autos today, including Miggy, J.D., McCann, Rondon, and Parrish.

Finally, on Saturday night I attended an event sponsored by the Ted Williams Museum that was held at Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays.  Here I got:

Jake Wood (2 Tiger books), Ron LeFlore (one Tiger book), and the following people on cards:  Tony Oliva, Luis Tiant, Toby Hall, Cookie Rojas, Willy Adames, plus....

The following signed my event program next to their photo:  Cookie Rojas, Willy Adames, Jack Billingham, Ryan Garton, Dolly Niemiec and Sue Parson (from the League of Their Own),, Richie Scheinblum, Jake Wood, Ron LeFlore, and Scott McGregor.

Actually I was somewhat disappointed in this event, since Al Kaline, Darrell Evans, and Howard Johnson were "no-shows" for this event.

Finally, despite the limited availability at Joker Marchant Stadium, I still had a great time with my friend Nick along with the rest of the gang.  The 70 degree plus weather did not hurt either!

Note:  Dave, your signed cards should arrive on Thursday.  Jim, as you requested I am holding unto your signed Mikie Matook baseball, along with the photos of me getting the ball signed that appeared on the Tigers website!

Too bad...I heard they did great things with the remodel of Joker. Unfortunately it sounds like it is much less accessible for the fans.

Curious if Kaline gave you the "you paid for it", nice autograph....or the much sloppier version of it. I've heard he can be a real jerk when it's free. 

What is the title of the Trammell book- is it the one that says "detroit's iconic shortstop"?

Stan Papi,

Yes, my Kaline auto looked like the free one, but at least you can still read it.  My friend had a ball signed at the same time, and it looked much better.

Yes, the Trammell book says "Detroit's Iconic Shortstop."  I am not sure that Trammell say it before.  He looked very confused when he saw it.  But he gave me a perfect auto on the cover of the book!  This book is written by Todd Masters, and came out just this year.

5 minutes ago, detroittigerfan said:

Stan Papi,

Yes, my Kaline auto looked like the free one, but at least you can still read it.  My friend had a ball signed at the same time, and it looked much better.

Yes, the Trammell book says "Detroit's Iconic Shortstop."  I am not sure that Trammell say it before.  He looked very confused when he saw it.  But he gave me a perfect auto on the cover of the book!  This book is written by Todd Masters, and came out just this year.

Thanks. I agree, even a crappy Kaline can be read over any current detroit red wing graph :)

10 hours ago, detroittigerfan said:

Nice recap Dave, thanks for sharing.

February successes via detroittigerfan.  Thanks Dave, much appreciate the extra spent getting extra autographs.58af5576edcd9_ST2017B.thumb.jpg.9d782c64e5b63a6857e48f48402be0d7.jpg58af557840f1b_ST2017C.thumb.jpg.230d156ac3dd97f00a4cdfc1a1c646ea.jpg

58af557599163_ST2017A.thumb.jpg.641c7fbd62cad5ecdf30119441f21e1c.jpg

On 2/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, detroittigerfan said:

I forgot to add another thing I got signed at the Ted Williams Museum event in Tampa.  In addition to to above names, former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay was also at this event, and so I had him sign a baseball for me.  Halladay and Don Larsen are the only pitchers in baseball history to throw a no-hitter in the post-season.  Roy graciously signed a baseball for me since I nothing else for him to sign.  Not sure what I will do with it, since I don't really collect signed baseballs, but I needed him to sign something.  Is this two-time CY award winner (once in each league) with his 65.9% career winning percentage a HOF candidate?