Deleterious

2017 NBA trade deadline

18 hours ago, NYLion said:

That's true but I see a lot of teams in the middle that just aren't as good this season.  Toronto, Atlanta, Indiana, Chicago, Charlotte, Detroit, Miami.

A conference that looked like it was on the rise has taken a step back because the meat of the conference isn't as juicy.

Boston and Washinton are much better. I would say ATL, INDY are about the same, with Indy hitting a rough stretch right now (things like that happen during a season). Heck we're about the same at the same point last year. Toronto is down a bit but just theoretically improved their team. No, the East isn't as good as the West...but it's no where near the worst it's been in even the last 3 years much less the last 10 years.

Yah, Boston and Washington have put themselves on the map. Boston't next 2-3 moves will be extremely interesting. 

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The Pistons next game is about four hours after the trade deadline. 

So maybe not enough time for Carmelo and Rubio to make it to the arena in time after the last minute deals?

If you are a GM, what could you realistically expect to get for (             ) at the deadline?

a) Dragic

b) Drummond

c) Jackson

d) Lou Williams

e) Brook Lopez

f)  Rubio

g) Okafor

If I were a GM I could get Lebron and a first for any of those guys...but that's because I'm probably the best negotiator and know the best people

19 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

If I were a GM I could get Lebron and a first for any of those guys...but that's because I'm probably the best negotiator and know the best people

I've always been partial to this guy, cause he's saved me some cheddar over the years.

PricelineNegotiator.jpg

21 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I think it's possible Reggie wouldn't even pass a physical right now.

Didn't think about that.  Good call.

Here is how their salary situation would look next year with this trade.  I think Bullock or someone like that would have to be thrown in to make salaries work, so you can subtract him too.  Still, this won't create any cap space.  Cap is projected at $103M next year.

Name 2017-18
Andre Drummond $23,775,506
Tobias Harris $16,000,000
Jon Leuer $10,497,319
Boban Marjanovic $7,000,000
Aron Baynes $6,500,000
Ish Smith $6,000,000
Josh Smith (stretched) $5,331,729
Marcus Morris $5,000,000
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope $9,195,797
Stanley Johnson $3,097,800
Reggie Bullock $5,639,111
Henry Ellenson $1,780,800
Beno Udrih $1,471,382
Darrun Hilliard $1,471,382
Michael Gbinije $1,312,611
Nikola Jovanovic (waived)  
Trey Freeman (waived)  
Ray McCallum (waived)  
DJ Augustin $7,250,000

Total $111,323,437

There has to be a third team involved.  No way we give Reggie away like that AND add another logjam to the combo fwd mix.

4 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

There has to be a third team involved.  No way we give Reggie away like that AND add another logjam to the combo fwd mix.

Well, that trade I mentioned yesterday from the stock trader.  It included LA and Lou Williams with Detroit and Orlando.  

9 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Well, that trade I mentioned yesterday from the stock trader.  It included LA and Lou Williams with Detroit and Orlando.  

I half-heartedly looked for that tweet after you posted about it, but then kids happened and I got busy.

How would you feel about Lou and Mario, sans Reggie, going forward?

3 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

kids happened and I got busy

I think you have those actions in reverse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I half-heartedly looked for that tweet after you posted about it, but then kids happened and I got busy.

How would you feel about Lou and Mario, sans Reggie, going forward?

I'm not sure it makes them better.

I worry about collecting too many guys like Williams and Harris.  Guys who can score but not do much else.  I think a team can handle one of those guys, like a Korver.  But you start adding more and it becomes problematic.  

Maybe you alleviate that problem by trading Harris for a PG.

Does the Augustin & Green thing make sense just to get out from Jackson's contract in the long term?  It seems like a forward would have to go elsewhere as well.  But who and for what?

Just now, Deleterious said:

I'm not sure it makes them better.

I worry about collecting too many guys like Williams and Harris.  Guys who can score but not do much else.  I think a team can handle one of those guys, like a Korver.  But you start adding more and it becomes problematic.  

Maybe you alleviate that problem by trading Harris for a PG.

I guess I would go a step further and suggest that too many one trick ponies makes for a not so great team.

And it kind of brings something to mind that I've been wondering about those season.  What does this team do really well?  Drummond is a good rebounder.  Pope is good at defense.  Occasionally one of the forwards can carry some scoring for the team.  But as a team, what do they do well?

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Does the Augustin & Green thing make sense just to get out from Jackson's contract in the long term?  It seems like a forward would have to go elsewhere as well.  But who and for what?

He is a FA this summer.  I'm sure they would try to trade him before the deadline.  But his big contract and the fact he isn't very good will make that tough.  He will most likely just sit the bench till the end of the year or be bought out.  

Just now, Casimir said:

I guess I would go a step further and suggest that too many one trick ponies makes for a not so great team.

And it kind of brings something to mind that I've been wondering about those season.  What does this team do really well?  Drummond is a good rebounder.  Pope is good at defense.  Occasionally one of the forwards can carry some scoring for the team.  But as a team, what do they do well?

Defense.

They are the 7th ranked defense in the league right now.