Jump to content

Deleterious

2017 NBA trade deadline

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

If Love doesn't come all the way back, all bets are off for the Cavs.  Toronto is far from glamorous, but they can beat the Cavs without a good version of love and JR Smith.  Let s also not forget no Della this year, either, and LBJ will have logged a ton of burn come playoff time. The Cavs are due to be toppled.

WTF is a rich man's Sixers?  A Sixers team with Mitch Richmond?

Are they a bigger threat than Boston? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

If Love doesn't come all the way back, all bets are off for the Cavs.  Toronto is far from glamorous, but they can beat the Cavs without a good version of love and JR Smith.  Let s also not forget no Della this year, either, and LBJ will have logged a ton of burn come playoff time. The Cavs are due to be toppled.

WTF is a rich man's Sixers?  A Sixers team with Mitch Richmond?

Rich mans' Sixers meaning that they turn over their roster every year, collect high draft picks and make no progress in the standings.  Just a better version of the Sixers.  A perpetual rebuild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Are they a bigger threat than Boston? 

Tonight they look like a team losing by 20 to the lowly Bulls.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYLion said:

Rich mans' Sixers meaning that they turn over their roster every year, collect high draft picks and make no progress in the standings.  Just a better version of the Sixers.  A perpetual rebuild

The Magic were playing for a title not so long ago.  The Sixers?  Well . . .

The Sixers are a borderline playoff team with Simmons this season, and who knows if they ever decide to take the training wheels off Embiid.  The Magic have zero players with the upside of Embiid or Simmons.

I see very little in common between the two teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take the Sixers roster over ours in a heartbeat.  All I want is one player to build around.  You can worry about the other parts and pieces later.  Milwaukee has the Greek Freak.  Minnesota has KAT.  Chicago has Butler.  Portland has their guards.  New Orleans has Anthony Davis.  Even the Knicks with Porzingis and the Pacers with George have more hope than we have.  We are in that group of bad teams with no hope because we don't have a player to build around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Butler, I really don't understand the trade rumors.  Are the Bull seriously considering trading him?  I just don't get that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hart said:

Speaking of Butler, I really don't understand the trade rumors.  Are the Bull seriously considering trading him?  I just don't get that.  

Jimmy Diva is going to talk his way out of town.  Great player, one of the best in the league, but he's taking his diva game to a new level.  He's yelled at his coach during the game multiple times.  In fact, they caught him on camera when Hoiberg told him to call time out saying "what?  **** no" and then taking the ball, going one on five, and scoring.

And the Bulls are going nowhere.  If they could get Boston to part with Brooklyn's #1 pick, Crowder, and a future #1, I would do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Great player, one of the best in the league, but he's taking his diva game to a new level.  In fact, they caught him on camera when Hoiberg told him to call time out saying "what?  **** no" and then taking the ball, going one on five, and scoring.

Reggie Theus lives!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

The Magic were playing for a title not so long ago.  The Sixers?  Well . . .

The Sixers are a borderline playoff team with Simmons this season, and who knows if they ever decide to take the training wheels off Embiid.  The Magic have zero players with the upside of Embiid or Simmons.

I see very little in common between the two teams.

The Magic have had 20, 23, 25, 35 win seasons the last 4 and are junk again this season.  What exactly have they played for?  They turn their roster over every year and they collect high draft picks, those draft picks just so happened to not be as high as the Sixers draft picks so they don't have the elite talent due to having moderately more success.  As I said, rich mans' Sixers.  Always rebuilding the rebuild.

The Pistons are the worst of all evils.  Perpetually mediocre.   Never good enough to compete for anything meaningful and never bad enough to be in a position to draft elite talent so they're stuck in a position having to trade for an elite player because an elite player sure as **** will never sign with Detroit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Magic have had 20, 23, 25, 35 win seasons the last 4 and are junk again this season.  What exactly have they played for?  They turn their roster over every year and they collect high draft picks, those draft picks just so happened to not be as high as the Sixers draft picks so they don't have the elite talent due to having moderately more success.  As I said, rich mans' Sixers.  Always rebuilding the rebuild.

The Pistons are the worst of all evils.  Perpetually mediocre.   Never good enough to compete for anything meaningful and never bad enough to be in a position to draft elite talent so they're stuck in a position having to trade for an elite player because an elite player sure as **** will never sign with Detroit.

Lakers-Magic-2009-Finals-Widescreen-Wallpaper.jpg

It has been much longer since the Sixers or Pistons were in a Finals.

Comparison of the Magic and Sixers isn't a good one because a bad record over the past several years is one of the only things they have in common. 

I'm sorry you are so frustrated with the Pistons.  Championships are fun because they are rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Lakers-Magic-2009-Finals-Widescreen-Wallpaper.jpg

It has been much longer since the Sixers or Pistons were in a Finals.

Comparison of the Magic and Sixers isn't a good one because a bad record over the past several years is one of the only things they have in common. 

I'm sorry you are so frustrated with the Pistons.  Championships are fun because they are rare.

Yeah, that was 8 years ago.  I'm just talking about the franchises in recent times.  Again, they are continually rebuilding their rebuilds, trading away prominent players on their roster every year seemingly, no continuity and scraping the bottom of the barrel for the last 5 years or so.  At least the Sixers have some franchise level players for their troubles albeit franchise players with injury issues.

Why shouldn't I be frustrated with the Pistons?  Has this been a fun decade for you as a Pistons fan?  I just wish that there was a clear direction with this team.  At least teams like the Sixers and Suns have some elite talent to build around.  The Pistons are stuck in neutral as is par for the course in the 2010's.  Not that I blame SVG the GM, he has made the best out of an almost impossible situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Yeah, that was 8 years ago.  I'm just talking about the franchises in recent times.  Again, they are continually rebuilding their rebuilds, trading away prominent players on their roster every year seemingly, no continuity and scraping the bottom of the barrel for the last 5 years or so.  At least the Sixers have some franchise level players for their troubles albeit franchise players with injury issues.

Why shouldn't I be frustrated with the Pistons?  Has this been a fun decade for you as a Pistons fan?  I just wish that there was a clear direction with this team.  At least teams like the Sixers and Suns have some elite talent to build around.  The Pistons are stuck in neutral as is par for the course in the 2010's.  Not that I blame SVG the GM, he has made the best out of an almost impossible situation.

Philly, misguided or not, has had a direction for years.  Orlando pretty much didn't have a plan post-Howard, and some say they still do not.  This is one reason the two franchises are nothing alike.  The other reason is that Orlando made it to an NBA Finals 8 years ago.  It has been twice as long since Philly has been there.

I enjoy watching the Pistons even when they are bad.  Remember when Terry Tyler and Ron Lee were the faces of the franchise? I do.  

I also remember the team being so desperate for a big man that they signed Bison Dele (who put in good work during his abbreviated time in Detroit).  I remember screaming at my TV when Cheney wouldn't play Allan Houston on a truly awful Pistons team that relied on Grant Hill to do everything.  I love basketball, and I love watching my favorite team develop.  Pistons fans got spoiled by the success of the Going To Work team, and by having Larry Brown as HC.  

It is unfortunate that so many had such high expectations for this Pistons team, because this team was never going anywhere.  For those who have enjoyed the ride, and aren't complaining loudly about a low lottery draft pick this year--good on them.  Life's too short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I enjoy watching the Pistons even when they are bad.  Remember when Terry Tyler and Ron Lee were the faces of the franchise? I do.  

I also remember the team being so desperate for a big man that they signed Bison Dele (who put in good work during his abbreviated time in Detroit).  I remember screaming at my TV when Cheney wouldn't play Allan Houston on a truly awful Pistons team that relied on Grant Hill to do everything.  I love basketball, and I love watching my favorite team develop.  Pistons fans got spoiled by the success of the Going To Work team, and by having Larry Brown as HC.  

It is unfortunate that so many had such high expectations for this Pistons team, because this team was never going anywhere.  For those who have enjoyed the ride, and aren't complaining loudly about a low lottery draft pick this year--good on them.  Life's too short.

So because the Pistons have had 2 distinct championship eras, people should be accepting of the garbage that we have witnessed in the last 7 years?  Do you think Lakers fans are basking in the glory of their past now?

To each their own I guess but I don't enjoy watching a poor basketball team.  I have expectations after a year in the playoffs that they would be better than what we are witnessing this season, I don't think that's unreasonable.  This isn't developing that we are seeing this season, it's a team that plays disjointed and a lot of times, passionless basketball and is a big step back from the group we saw last season.  If this was an up and coming team that was playing hard consistently and giving teams fits despite the losses, I'd enjoy it a lot more.  I'm not miserable by any means because as you say "Life's too short", it's more apathy than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Hey, you lose a trade with this Pistons team and you're going to get mocked

Two trades, really.  And fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Buddha said:

Jimmy Diva is going to talk his way out of town.  Great player, one of the best in the league, but he's taking his diva game to a new level.  He's yelled at his coach during the game multiple times.  In fact, they caught him on camera when Hoiberg told him to call time out saying "what?  **** no" and then taking the ball, going one on five, and scoring.

And the Bulls are going nowhere.  If they could get Boston to part with Brooklyn's #1 pick, Crowder, and a future #1, I would do it.

Many stars do this stuff. When their teams are good, we call them leaders(see brady yelling at Edelman on the sidelines or Lebron taking the last shot), when their teams suck, we call them divas(see DMC,Butler and Harden when the rockets aren't doing well in a given year)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NYLion said:

Rich mans' Sixers meaning that they turn over their roster every year, collect high draft picks and make no progress in the standings.  Just a better version of the Sixers.  A perpetual rebuild

worse version I assume you mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, NYLion said:

So because the Pistons have had 2 distinct championship eras, people should be accepting of the garbage that we have witnessed in the last 7 years?  Do you think Lakers fans are basking in the glory of their past now?

To each their own I guess but I don't enjoy watching a poor basketball team.  I have expectations after a year in the playoffs that they would be better than what we are witnessing this season, I don't think that's unreasonable.  This isn't developing that we are seeing this season, it's a team that plays disjointed and a lot of times, passionless basketball and is a big step back from the group we saw last season.  If this was an up and coming team that was playing hard consistently and giving teams fits despite the losses, I'd enjoy it a lot more.  I'm not miserable by any means because as you say "Life's too short", it's more apathy than anything.

Part of the beauty of being a Pistons far going back to about '80 is that the team was built and developed, right before our eyes, and largely via the draft.  We acquired Edwards, Laimbeer and Mahorn, and we all should know the story of Tripucka-to-Dantley-to-Aguirre by now.  Nobody thought the Pistons could win a championship at any time before the 86-87 season, and then people started to get on board.  People appreciated that team because it really was built on layers.

The Going to Work team was a little different.  People were still sad and shocked when the reset button was pressed upon the Hill sign-and trade (thanks again, Orlando!), and then a few years later the team somehow becomes a winner with cast-offs, reclamation projects and calculated personnel gambles.  The fans forgot how hard it is to build a winner in the NBA, and forgot how hard it is to find a coach that can make a team take the extra step. 

Everyone doesn't get a trophy.  If you can't enjoy watching a young team develop, then I guess that doesn't make you different from most fans today who are all about instant gratification.  The problem with instant gratification and selecting one-and-done players in the draft?  It's a bad mix.  Patience is a virtue for today's NBA of spoiled brat AAU toddlers who don't like to be coached too hard.

The Lakers have a lot to be excited about, IMO.  That's a playoff team in the East, and a playoff contender in four years.

It wasn't hard to see the holes in this team at the start of the year, and the biggest one was outside shooting.  Then Reggie goes down, and everyone just expects him to return 100% and for team chemistry to remain in tact.  SVG has done a good job of collecting talent, but I don't think he's done a good job managing it.  True to his previous stops, it seems like his grating persona is wearing thin on his players.  No matter how good of a coach you are, once your players start to tune you out--its over.  SVG was always a stepping stone coach, and a wildcard as a GM.  He's gathered enough talent to compete going forward, pending development, but I don't think he was ever going to be the coach to lead the team to a ECF.

Fans want it both ways.  They want their team to tank for great draft picks, but they still want the players to treat the game seriously and give the best players in the world ****.  The NBA is a different place than it was even a decade ago.  Taking things more seriously than the players do is a recipe for frustration.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Lol, if Toronto is. They're the 2 seed. 

Toronto got the big they needed at the deadline, Boston didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Many stars do this stuff. When their teams are good, we call them leaders(see brady yelling at Edelman on the sidelines or Lebron taking the last shot), when their teams suck, we call them divas(see DMC,Butler and Harden when the rockets aren't doing well in a given year)

Thats true; however, it does not mean that jimmy butler is not a diva.

In fact, both him and wade were called out by rajon rondo of all people.  Rondo has actually spent some time with the baby bulls and stood up for them when wade (who doesnt practice and skips 1/3 of games and never hustles for anything other than his own buckets) and butler (who has been immune from press criticism when derrick rose's idiocy protected him but is now front and center) started criticizing others for their play.

Wade, of course, is the biggest hypocrite considering he criticized his teammates for not caring one week after he said the losses dont bother him anymore.

Word all season has been that the bulls dont really trust butler to be the leader of the team because he's much more into jimmy butler than the team.  Its certainly borne out in his public statements.

The bulls are a mess.  Wade and butler are still good enough one on one players to get them to a playoff spot in the woeful east, but they have no real future.  Theyre under the impression that wade can get a free agent here next year and its keeping them from really rebuilding.

Which is fine with me because they will continue to suck until they realize that free agent aint coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×