Deleterious

2017 NBA trade deadline

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Which one?  To sign him initially?  Or to stretch him?

Yes

I broke it down a few months ago.  Stretching him was the right choice at the time.  

His four year deal would have been done this summer and because the Pistons are over the cap, it wouldn't have freed up any cap space.  They still would have the MLE in either situation.  Remember, you don't get to use cap space + the MLE.  So even if you are under the cap by $7M you don't end up with $15M in cap space, it's still $8M.  

Now in a scenario I described above where they start cutting people left and right to land a new PG, losing Smith this summer would have helped their cap situation.  

Sucks to have had Smith signed, but I think stretching him was the move to make. Most of the deal will be eaten up as money that is over the cap anyways. I don't see the harm. 

I also don't see a starting PG we are signing on the open market fwiw. Not that's a significant upgrade. What's best case, a Teague or Hill?

A trade is the only viable option for a new PG.

I can't see SVG wanting to wait around a couple of years for his rookie PG to learn how to play the position. So drafting one is out.

I'm fine signing Hill or Teague, but both of them are going to start North of $20M a year. I guess a sign and trade isn't out of the question.

6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

A trade is the only viable option for a new PG.

I can't see SVG wanting to wait around a couple of years for his rookie PG to learn how to play the position. So drafting one is out.

I'm fine signing Hill or Teague, but both of them are going to start North of $20M a year. I guess a sign and trade isn't out of the question.

Yah, not at our pick. If we got in position to land an elite talent at the position like Fultz or Ball I'm sure he'd roll with that just fine. 

I dont' think there's much to gain dumping Jackson for Hill or Teague. They're better, but its minimal to me. 

22 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The NO-PHI trade talk sure died fast. I thought it sounded liked they were close.

Yah, when you mentioned Ajinca coming here I did a double take 

On 2/8/2017 at 5:06 PM, Deleterious said:

I was wrong it's $97M with all cap holds included (Beno, KCP, Bullock).  Salary cap is projected at $103M next year.  That still means they only have $8M in cap space since every team gets the MLE.

You could renounce Beno and Bullock and then cut Hilliard and Silent G and that will end up at $87.6M for cap space equaling $15.3M.  You might land a starter for that price, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  

Name 2017-18
Andre Drummond $23,775,506
Tobias Harris $16,000,000
Reggie Jackson  
Jon Leuer $10,497,319
Boban Marjanovic $7,000,000
Aron Baynes  
Ish Smith $6,000,000
Josh Smith (stretched) $5,331,729
Marcus Morris $5,000,000
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope $9,195,797
Stanley Johnson $3,097,800
Reggie Bullock $5,639,111
Henry Ellenson $1,780,800
Beno Udrih $1,471,382
Darrun Hilliard $1,471,382
Michael Gbinije $1,312,611
Nikola Jovanovic (waived)  
Trey Freeman (waived)  
Ray McCallum (waived)  

Total $97,573,437

Looking at hoopshype, basketball insiders and sportrac, your cap holds on kcp($5 mil) and bullock ($3.3 mil)are too high . What I'm blown away by is all three sites have different guaranteed numbers. regardless....getting rid of Beno, Gbinije, Hilliard and the Reggie's salary and those lower cap holds would give us close to $20 mil.

Where are your cap hold numbers coming from?

9 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

Looking at hoopshype, basketball insiders and sportrac, your cap holds on kcp($5 mil) and bullock ($3.3 mil)are too high . What I'm blown away by is all three sites have different guaranteed numbers. regardless....getting rid of Beno, Gbinije, Hilliard and the Reggie's salary and those lower cap holds would give us close to $20 mil.

Where are your cap hold numbers coming from?

Those are not cap holds you're reading, they are qualifying offers.

And where I get my number from, the CBA.  A player coming off of his rookie deal who makes less than the league average has a cap hold that is 250% of his previous years salary.  $3,678,319 * 250% = $9,195,797.

If you go to Basketball Insiders they list the cap hold numbers.  You have to scroll down a bit but it's there.  

If we just want to see some short term success...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z7jrx3d

Melo and Jennings for Reggie and Harris (probably have to throw in our 1st which I'd do)

Even better: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gogmzg7

Knicks get: Cauley-Stein, Gay, Reggie, Harris, McLemore

SacTown gets: Rose and Baynes

Pistons get: Melo, Jennings and Barnes

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Those are not cap holds you're reading, they are qualifying offers.

And where I get my number from, the CBA.  A player coming off of his rookie deal who makes less than the league average has a cap hold that is 250% of his previous years salary.  $3,678,319 * 250% = $9,195,797.

If you go to Basketball Insiders they list the cap hold numbers.  You have to scroll down a bit but it's there.  

gotcha....sportrac calls them cap holds too.

On 2/9/2017 at 6:17 PM, DaBishop said:

If we just want to see some short term success...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z7jrx3d

Melo and Jennings for Reggie and Harris (probably have to throw in our 1st which I'd do)

Even better: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gogmzg7

Knicks get: Cauley-Stein, Gay, Reggie, Harris, McLemore

SacTown gets: Rose and Baynes

Pistons get: Melo, Jennings and Barnes

I'd consider the trade, but I think a first is too much if Reggie and Harris go. 

I think I saw SVG smile during the post game press scrum when talking about KCP but I'm sure it was just gas.

That was a fortunate win.  Toronto got caught up in hero ball (as they do a lot) and let the Pistons back in the game.  I like Ish but I wish it was Reggie that led them to the victory, can't see the team going far with Ish being their crunch time point guard.

Woops, didn't realize this was the trade deadline thread.  In that case, trade everybody but KCP, Morris, Boban and Ish :D

Ibaka is a nice pickup for Toronto's playoff push.  Orlando gets a desperately needed shooting wing. 

Ross should get all the shots he wants in Orlando.

25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Orlando is awful.  

Nice job salvaging something for Ibaka.  But holy ****, I would much rather have Oladipo and Sabonis.  

Yup haha. That said, definitely a very good salvage all things considered. Great get for Toronto too. 

55 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Orlando is awful.  

Nice job salvaging something for Ibaka.  But holy ****, I would much rather have Oladipo and Sabonis.  

Pretty much.

Oladipo and Sabonis vs 2/3 of a season of Ibaka,  2 1/3 seasons Ross at $10.5M and a late 1st round pick doesn't sound like a great trade to me.

Orlando has a lot of moves to make going forward.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Orlando  basically turned Harris, Oladipo, and the 11th pick into Ross and a late first.

Someone should be fired.

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Orlando  basically turned Harris, Oladipo, and the 11th pick into Ross and a late first.

Someone should be fired.

He will be fired.

That's a really good trade by Toronto.  Ibaka fills a much needed role for them and they have his bird rights also so they should be able to re-sign him.  Still not good enough to beat Cleveland but at least this moves the needle forward for them as they were pretty much stuck in neutral.

Orlando is a clown organization.  Ross isn't a bad player but they continue to blow up their roster every 6 months it seems.  They're a rich mans' Sixers without the elite talent.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

That's a really good trade by Toronto.  Ibaka fills a much needed role for them and they have his bird rights also so they should be able to re-sign him.  Still not good enough to beat Cleveland but at least this moves the needle forward for them as they were pretty much stuck in neutral.

Orlando is a clown organization.  Ross isn't a bad player but they continue to blow up their roster every 6 months it seems.  They're a rich mans' Sixers without the elite talent.

If Love doesn't come all the way back, all bets are off for the Cavs.  Toronto is far from glamorous, but they can beat the Cavs without a good version of love and JR Smith.  Let s also not forget no Della this year, either, and LBJ will have logged a ton of burn come playoff time. The Cavs are due to be toppled.

WTF is a rich man's Sixers?  A Sixers team with Mitch Richmond?