RedRamage

Lions new font, tweaked logo

35 posts in this topic

In case you missed it, the Lions have officially removed black from their color scheme.  The tweaked logo replaced the black outline with a silver/grey outline.  Reports are that the uniforms will also remove the black in 2017.   

The font is also changed, which I like.  I never was a huge fan of the old font.  This one still has the little "spikes" on some of the edges/corners of characters, but it's a little less dramatic, easier to read imho.

16422449_10154880535178605_5896442739285

Personally, I didn't mind the black outline on the logo and on the numbers on the Jersey as it though it made it stand out a little bit, but I'm not hugely upset by losing it.  I don't mind losing the black stripes from the uniforms at all.

I wonder: Is this now the last bit of the Millen era removed from the Lions??

It’s still Bubbles the Puppy Dog Lion. Totally fits this team

In case anyone is curious, here's the old logo/word mark:

7607_detroit_lions-alternate-2009.png

Perhaps the nicest thing about the new font is that the letter D actually looks like a D rather than an O.  However, I still wish they would have used a font like this:

LionsLogo4.png

IMO Bubbles looks better with the black outline.

23 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I wonder: Is this now the last bit of the Millen era removed from the Lions??

Was Stafford a Millen pick?

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Was Stafford a Millen pick?

No.  Millen was fired Sept. 2008.  Stafford was drafted (April) 2009.

I just looked back at the 2008 and 2007 draft, I don't think there's anyone left on the Lions from then.

Now, there's one area of contention... Dan Orlovsky.  He was drafted by Millen, but he left the Lions, then came back.  Would that count as a hold over from the Millen era if he left the Lions, then was re-signed a number of years later by a different GM?

Nope.  If a player leaves and subsequently comes back under a different regime, I would say he is now accountable to the newer regime.

I would be interested to know whether there are any Millen players, other than orlovsky apparently, that are still in the NFL. 

That might not be entirely fair, because it's been 8 years now since he was fired and NFL careers in general are short. And Calvin of course probably could have kept playing so he would still be around. And of course Stafford would have been Millen's pick had he had the chance to make it. 

A related question, are there any players currently on the lions that could even be traced back to a Millen player through trade or something like that? Even being drafted after Millen left but with a pick that was acquired in return for a Millen asset. 

Don muhlbach has been with the lions since 2004. I guess he qualifies. 

1 person likes this

Typical Lions refuse to move on from the old regime

54 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would be interested to know whether there are any Millen players, other than orlovsky apparently, that are still in the NFL. 

That might not be entirely fair, because it's been 8 years now since he was fired and NFL careers in general are short. And Calvin of course probably could have kept playing so he would still be around. And of course Stafford would have been Millen's pick had he had the chance to make it. 

A related question, are there any players currently on the lions that could even be traced back to a Millen player through trade or something like that? Even being drafted after Millen left but with a pick that was acquired in return for a Millen asset. 

Gosdar, Avril and Stanton are around. Redding and  Manny Ramirez just retired this offseason. I think Jerome Felton is lingering too. 

Not sure anyone fits the other description, but I could be missing something. Pettigrew would qualify, but he is now cut of course too. 

I think pettigrew was drafted with that pick we got for Roy Williams, right? So he would fit the criteria I had defined at least. 

Or am I mis-remembering that?  I am in a meeting and posting on the fly.........

I just meant from a transactional lineage perspective. Mayhew made the pick, and he made the trade too, but he could only make that trade because Millen had brought in Roy. 

So Millen begat Roy, who begat the pick, which begat pettigrew. 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Don muhlbach has been with the lions since 2004. I guess he qualifies. 

Forgot about him...

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I just meant from a transactional lineage perspective. Mayhew made the pick, and he made the trade too, but he could only make that trade because Millen had brought in Roy. 

So Millen begat Roy, who begat the pick, which begat pettigrew. 

Yeah but it was the new regime that decided to give up on Roy (or at least thought the value was worth more than Roy) so I wouldn't trace that line back to Millen personally.  I mean you could say that Stafford could be traced to Millen because he created the team that sucked so bad that it lost 16 games so ended up with the #1 pick. Or say that drafted player-X was such a failure that a year after Millen left the Lions had to draft player-Y to fill that same position.

Obviously we're making the rules here as we go along, but I'd say Millen would have had to make the decision that created the pick.  Mayhew gets credit for selling high on Roy Williams.

That's fine. You are asking/answering a different question than I was. 

I was mostly curious whether every last vestige of the Millen regime had been wiped away, such that the current team basically stands on its own as coming from draft picks and free agents originating post Millen. 

I like to look at the lineage of a player and see how far back it can be traced. There was something like that for baseball a couple years back and was cool to look at. 

Anyway, pettigrew can be traced back to Roy Williams, who was a Millen pick. The fact that he and the long snapper are the only guys that can go back that far seems interesting, but who knows. Maybe that is the case for s lot of other teams. It might be relatively rare for a team to have multiple players that can be traced back to a previous player more than 8 years ago. There are so few trades and so many guys that are released. 

As for your question, I agree that Millen shouldn't get credit for the Roy trade. I wasn't really looking to assign credit to any particular move. 

The new uniform will be taking the throwback and putting a modern twist on it that's really cool.   The color rush will be all SILVER, not black.    

Hated the black. The silver is much more subtle. And the font is much nicer. 

Getting rid of that black outline is awesome.  It made them look like an arean league team.

This stuff means nothing to me.  Just like the chearleaders.  Nothing about football.

I do not care about the cheerleaders, but I'm not going to not look.