John_Brian_K

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

More of a teaser than a trailer, but still pretty good. Very little revealed from it, which is to be expected. Some pretty nice looking shots. 

Hearing Luke finally speak was good. He does seem to shed some light on the title with his line at the end. 

I wonder if he says that at the beginning when Rey is trying to convince him to come back. I always take shots in trailers and previews with a grain of salt. They can look more dramatic than needed. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

He does seem to shed some light on the title with his line at the end. 

Could be a red herring too. It might be that she is trying to convince him to come back and he is stubbornly refusing. I especially think that because he appears to be training her earlier in the trailer (or the curiosity of watching her technique draws him out).

It could certainly be something said in the beginning as a way for him to dismiss Rey, as in "I am the last Jedi and I'm not going to train any new ones."

It could also be that he determined that the Jedi order was wrong in the way they trained force users to be exclusively light and to block out the dark. If the Jedi are pure "light" and the sith are pure "dark," maybe the result of that dichotomy is something that Luke thinks has led to all of this. 

Maybe he thinks that force users should embrace both sides. Maybe he thinks that trying to restrict a force user, like Kylo, to the light is what opens the possibility of being seduced by the dark side. He knows it happened to Vader and he knows it happened to Kylo. If you try too hard to keep either side down, perhaps it makes you vulnerable. We know from force awakens that Kylo continued to feel the pull of the light. 

I don't know. It's just a thought. The Jedi have had some pretty big failures. Palpatine was right under their nose. They failed anakin. Luke failed with Kylo.

At the end of ROTJ, Luke seems to embrace the dark side a bit in order to defeat Vader. Of course he ultimately shows mercy, which almost kills him but for Vader intervening. 

It could be that he reflected on his attempt to train more Jedi that was ultimately defeated, and he realized that the way of the Jedi was not the best way. It could also be that if he has found the old Jedi temple and the history there, that maybe there is something there that suggests something different than what became the Jedi. 

It's definitely fun to think about. But I guess I come back to the fact that the title would be pretty weird if at the end we still have "jedi" running around and the expectation of more in the future. 

It's almost as if TFA was a HUGE success and they want to keep that success going by emulating the things they did in TFA.

The opening shot...that could be Luke knocking Rey down or something not wanting to come back or it could be her after Luke starts training her and pushing her super hard.  She does king of have a shocked look on her face...so i can see Luke maybe force pushing her off the plateau or something and that is her shocked response.

We already knew Rey was force sensitive so the stones raising up is not that big of a deal.

I like when they mess with color...the red dirt that is being kicked up from the ships going after the At-At's is nice to look at.

FN is sleeping...not sure what is going on there...some kind of hibernation or something?  

Poes X Wing explodes....again.  

If Luke decides to use both sides of the force he will not be the first to do it.  I especially liked the stories I read with Jedi using both sides of the force to become even stronger.  I can see them going this route in the stories to parallel what is going on in real life...too far on either side of anything is usually a bad way to live your life.  The world would be a better place if most people were somewhere in the middle on the majority of big issues in life.

Star Wars has always paralleled ideas in real life.  So I can easily see them implementing this.  

Spoilery type stuff from one of the new Canon books:

Spoiler

Quinlan Voss is one who used both sides of the force in Dark Disciple.  I really enjoyed that book.  He became more powerful by using both sides and was taught to use both sides by Asajji Ventress who is another character I like.  She learned to embrace both sides as well after being betrayed by Dooku.

Finn appears to be in some sort of healing device. Probably being treated for his injury from the end of TFA. 

I doubt Luke is physically harming Rey. I see the Luke and Rey relationship being similar to yoda and Luke. We know that Rey has had force visions. The opening shot seems like one where she has just had another vision. 

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

Finn appears to be in some sort of healing device. Probably being treated for his injury from the end of TFA. 

I doubt Luke is physically harming Rey. I see the Luke and Rey relationship being similar to yoda and Luke. We know that Rey has had force visions. The opening shot seems like one where she has just had another vision. 

If you look in the background, there's a hole in the rock/mountain/thing.... could be she just came out of another "force cave" similar to the one Luke entered in ESB. 

star-wars-the-last-jedi-trailer-1-rey-70

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

Pretty absurd accusation by them. You could re-cut a lot of trailers to make them look similar. 

What do you mean by accusation?  I didn't see it as a negative thing just something interesting.  I don't think they manipulated anything did they?  The trailers were almost identical shot for shot.  I'm sure their research shows trailers should contain certain things and have certain timings, etc.  They seem to know what they are doing.  

Kind of like this:

http://www.boredpanda.com/movie-poster-cliches/

Big Heads over Tiny People on a Beach

movie-poster-cliches-13.jpg

Back To Back, Viewed From the Side

movie-poster-cliches-3.jpg

I don't think accusation is the right word there. 

But I do think the comparison was a bit misleading. The video showing the trailers side by side was not the two trailers. It re-cut the force awakens trailers to make the shots line up. I don't really understand the point in doing it, because you could do that with almost any two trailers from two movies from the same franchise. 

Anyway, the trailers do have some similar shots and themes. The big noise to kick it off. The ships in formation flying close to the surface. The shot of the crumpled helmet. The falcon. 

As Shelton said, the TFA trailer was re-cut to match this one, and the following line is the absurd accusation:

"The Force Awakens movie was widely criticized as a beat-by-beat remake of A New Hope, but this edit suggests that the reassembling of old ingredients into new formulations will continue."

No. The beat-by-beat remake of ANH had to do with storytelling, not the way it was filmed. All this does is show that the two use some similar shots, but they are pretty standard in film-making. You could do this with a ton of movies. 

I didn't realize they recut the trailer for TFA.  That's stupid.  I thought it was the original.  I wouldn't have shared this otherwise.  I didn't really read the article.

I do think this movie as a lot more pressure on it.  TFA had an advantage.  Basically don't suck.  That's not to say hte movie wasn't very good or anything but going in I think the bar was low.  It had risk involved to be sure.   The pressure is not so much on Disney as it is on making us continue to care for these new characters.  Rogue One showed Disney has the chops and the will to satisfy the "real" Star Wars fans so I think they can continue on regardless.   Even though I have TFA on DVD I think I am going to record it on my DVR to watch again in a few months.  Seeing it on the Starz channels so often might have cheapened it for me and with Rogue One being so good, I liked it better, I think I might not be fair with it.

I think the side by side video also uses shots from TFA that weren't in any of the trailers. 

Basically, they took the trailer for the last Jedi, and then found shots that looked similar and cut them together. 

Honestly, this movie looks to be nothing like TFA. Whatever Rey and Luke are up to is nothing like anything we saw. It will share some similarities with yoda and Luke, of course, but my guess is that it will differ substantially. 

Finn may once again be scrambling. Poe will probably have a much larger role. 

Will this echo empire strikes back? I doubt it, aside from it probably ending with the heroes being in a very precarious situation at the hands of the first order. 

Empire was basically:

rebels are hiding from the empire and are found, but they escape. Luke leaves the rebels behind and goes to find yoda and trains. Han and leia can't escape because the hyperdrive isn't working, so they have to go into an asteroid field and then they come back out and hide. Somehow Vader figures out where Han is going (perhaps tipped off by boba fett who we know saw escape). Vader sets the trap for Luke which works and the two have their first confrontation, along with the big reveal about Vader's identity, but Luke escapes. 

That's a pretty specific chain of events that I doubt could be duplicated in a similar fashion. 

20 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I didn't realize they recut the trailer for TFA.  That's stupid.  I thought it was the original.  I wouldn't have shared this otherwise.  I didn't really read the article.

I do think this movie as a lot more pressure on it.  TFA had an advantage.  Basically don't suck.  That's not to say hte movie wasn't very good or anything but going in I think the bar was low.  It had risk involved to be sure.   The pressure is not so much on Disney as it is on making us continue to care for these new characters.  Rogue One showed Disney has the chops and the will to satisfy the "real" Star Wars fans so I think they can continue on regardless.   Even though I have TFA on DVD I think I am going to record it on my DVR to watch again in a few months.  Seeing it on the Starz channels so often might have cheapened it for me and with Rogue One being so good, I liked it better, I think I might not be fair with it.

I think TFA criticisms for being a remake are a bit unfair. Poe and Finn aren't really similar to anything from a new hope. Sure, the young nobody is swept up in a hero's journey due to a droid with a secret. And her mentor dies in front of her eyes. 

But she was also captured, which is what happened to leia, not Luke. 

Kylo has more to do than Vader, and we get a showdown between him and Rey. 

Neither rey nor Finn were particularly interested in taking on the bad guys. Both were just trying to survive. Finn just wanted to rescue Rey at the end. 

Yes, the new Death Star needed to be destroyed before it had the chance to destroy the good guys. 

I guess if you combined rey and Finn and Poe into one character and you combined Luke and leia into another, you might have something. 

Han playing the mentor role doesn't exactly fit because his interaction with rey was much more limited than obi wan with Luke. 

there were definitely some high level similarities, but it was different enough. 

Is it too similar because both movies had a Death Star and the old guy dies near the end? Maybe. 

I would like to be introduced to some of the characters I just started reading about.  Problem is that most of the new cannon books all took place before TFA, but that does not mean the characters could not still be used if they lived through the book.

Spoiler

Count Vidian - I thought he was a cool character, but I think he died in the book about him and Captain Sloane.

Asaj Ventress, but I think she died BBY.

Quinlan Voss - I REALLY hope to see him in an upcoming movie.  Pretty sure he is still alive in the new cannon.  I really liked his character.

Ashoka is still alive...her character was pretty good.

Thane Kyrell or Cienna Ree

Hera Syndula or Kaanan Jarrus

etc

15 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I would like to be introduced to some of the characters I just started reading about.  Problem is that most of the new cannon books all took place before TFA, but that does not mean the characters could not still be used if they lived through the book.

Hide contents

Count Vidian - I thought he was a cool character, but I think he died in the book about him and Captain Sloane.

Asaj Ventress, but I think she died BBY.

Quinlan Voss - I REALLY hope to see him in an upcoming movie.  Pretty sure he is still alive in the new cannon.  I really liked his character.

Ashoka is still alive...her character was pretty good.

Thane Kyrell or Cienna Ree

Hera Syndula or Kaanan Jarrus

etc

If you had read the aftermath books, one of the main characters is in TFA, although not one that had a big role. The pilot played by Greg grunberg is in those books. 

I wouldn't hold out much hope that any of the major characters from the books or tv shows will end up in the new films. If anything, it works in reverse. But who knows. 

It would have been cool if Hayden and played Vader.  I know it's not important visually and we would never know. But it would have been cool now nonetheless.   I think he gets a raw deal due to bad writing and direction. He's the most important character in the series.