John_Brian_K

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

8blZQPZ.jpg

I am sick of bogging the Rogue One thread down with all the talk of the new movie so made a new thread about it.

I am not sure what is considered spoiler territory with this right now so will just leave it as is for now.

If it is speculation based on previous films, it's not a spoiler either. 

If it is based on a leak of something, like a set report or illicit photo, or someone saw a script, or that type of thing where the info is actually about the movie and wasn't intended to be public knowledge, it's a spoiler. 

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

if it's publicly announced by Lucasfilm then it's not a spoiler.

I was going to put a big list of 'things we know about the movie right now' kind of thing.  The name I was not worried about revealing.  As the thread progresses we can flesh out details about the movie and keep things in spoiler tags for those who do not want to see such things.

So, with all that out of the way, how about that title?

Lots of ways to parse that. Does last mean final? Does last mean previous? Is jedi meant to be plural or singular? Is it referring to Luke, Rey, both, a redeemed Ben?

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

So, with all that out of the way, how about that title?

Lots of ways to parse that. Does last mean final? Does last mean previous? Is jedi meant to be plural or singular? Is it referring to Luke, Rey, both, a redeemed Ben?

Technically, all Jedi are the "last" jedi, so I think it would be kind of lame if they intended it to be plural. 

To me it hints that this movie will focus on the last Jedi, being Luke, and his inner-struggle to train or not to train. I think we'll see him fighting with himself a lot as he struggles to get past what happened with Ben. 

I would love to see the franchise become less political. I would rather see the Jedi remain in seclusion, for the most part, watching/protecting from a distance rather than being right in the middle of it all. To me that always seemed a bit against their nature. They're the protectors of peace, not politicians. That's the biggest mistake the prequels made, IMO. I could see Luke creating some sort of new Jedi code that they stay out of politics and away from technology and such. It just shouldn't be the jedi way. 

42 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I was going to put a big list of 'things we know about the movie right now' kind of thing.  The name I was not worried about revealing.  As the thread progresses we can flesh out details about the movie and keep things in spoiler tags for those who do not want to see such things.

Things we know:

the title

the writer/director

it is a sequel to the force awakens

luke and Rey and leia are in it. 

Poe and finn and kylo are presumably in it. Snoke probably is too. And chewie and hux.

Things we don't know: pretty much anything that happens in it

I'd say we do know Snoke is in it as they already revealed that he's going to be a physical "puppet" and not CGI. 

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Technically, all Jedi are the "last" jedi, so I think it would be kind of lame if they intended it to be plural. 

To me it hints that this movie will focus on the last Jedi, being Luke, and his inner-struggle to train or not to train. I think we'll see him fighting with himself a lot as he struggles to get past what happened with Ben. 

Perhaps. But that kind of cuts against the idea that these films are about the new era. That said, Luke was a force user, and he called himself a Jedi, but he never really did all of the stuff to become an official jedi. The last jedi could be a reference to obiwan. 

It's probably a reference to Luke, though. 

I want to see an emergence of new Jedi.  Luke was training a new group of Jedi that Kylo killed.  I want to see him gather together a new group of younglings.  New races etc. I hope at least part of the movie is showing them efforting this.

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'd say we do know Snoke is in it as they already revealed that he's going to be a physical "puppet" and not CGI. 

That was meant to be tongue in cheek, in that we don't know that officially. 

3 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I want to see an emergence of new Jedi.  Luke was training a new group of Jedi that Kylo killed.  I want to see him gather together a new group of younglings.  New races etc. I hope at least part of the movie is showing them efforting this.

Do we know kylo ren killed Luke's trainees?

Return of the Jedi... was that just Luke?  Was it Vader becoming Anakin again while dying?  Was it the revival of the concept of the Jedi?  Apologies if these are known answers in the Star Wars universe that exists.  I only know the movies.

2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Return of the Jedi... was that just Luke?  Was it Vader becoming Anakin again while dying?  Was it the revival of the concept of the Jedi?  Apologies if these are known answers in the Star Wars universe that exists.  I only know the movies.

I think it can be interpreted multiple ways, which will probably be the case with this movie. 

Just now, Oblong said:

Hard to say. The original title was revenge of the Jedi, from what I remember, but Lucas changed it because he decided a jedi wouldn't take revenge. But the title is the title, and it could mean that Luke becoming a Jedi was a return of jedi to the galaxy. But it could also mean Vader turning away from the dark side. If the title were revenge, that could apply to Luke or Vader, too, but makes a bit more sense for Vader. Luke didn't have much to take revenge for. Losing his hand? The general evil being put out to the galaxy? Revenge is a much more personal thing, and personally there wasn't *that* much that was really done to Luke, aside from the emperor turning his dad into a sith, but Luke was a fetus when that happened. 

I think the title(s) makes the most sense for Vader. 

I always attributed return of the Jedi as Luke kind of becoming a full fledged Jedi.  As a kid I recall watching Empire Strikes Back and how Luke was in that movie and comparing it to the stark contrast to how he was in the opening sequences of Return.  He just seemed WAY more badass in Return.

There was more of a definitive change from him more than any other character over the 2 movies IMO.

Does anyone want to discuss the rey kenobi theory? It is pretty detailed but seems pretty legit. It's only based on what we've seen but if true would be kind of spoilerly in how it is supported. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Does anyone want to discuss the rey kenobi theory? It is pretty detailed but seems pretty legit. It's only based on what we've seen but if true would be kind of spoilerly in how it is supported. 

I've seen this floated as a theory but not seen the supporting evidence... would be willing to discuss if you want to hit me with the gist in a spoiler tag or PM?

Personally I'm hoping she's just a random padawan that escaped the Knights of Ren purge at the academy but I feel like they'll connect her to a known family just because that's the way the SW seems to go.

It was mentioned that twice in TFA that Luke was referred to as the Last Jedi.  In the crawl and by snoke.

6 hours ago, mtdman said:

Saw this posted on fb. The two subtitles create a sentence.

Hmmmm....

starwars.jpg

I now want the third installment to be titled Star Wars: Time for Chicken and Waffles