davidsb

.....Days Until.....

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Didn't Yooper used to start this thread? Good job with it. It's usually my favorite thread of the season.

He had previously.  Doing a quick little search, looks like I jumped the gun last year starting the 2016 thread in December.  Yoop has not been around in a year, any clue why?  Who is going to do the Adapt-a-Tiger thread??

9 hours ago, davidsb said:

He had previously.  Doing a quick little search, looks like I jumped the gun last year starting the 2016 thread in December.  Yoop has not been around in a year, any clue why?  Who is going to do the Adapt-a-Tiger thread??

I have no idea. I hope he's OK. Maybe he never made the transition to the new site?

20 days until pitchers and catchers report

24 days until position players report

30 days until the Florida Southern game

31 days until the first spring training game

69 days until opening day – Tigers @ White Sox

73 days until home opener – Red Sox @ Tigers

On 1/24/2017 at 7:31 PM, DaYooperASBDT said:

You should be     :-)

So I want to get your thoughts. Stay healthy, asking a lot, and make up some of the 8 games we finished behind?

IMO, our strengths are our line-up and SP. Weaknesses are team speed. Question marks are the BP and CF.

Defense could also be a strength if we find a CF who can run. Which would help, but not enough, our team speed.

• Like 1

17 days until pitchers and catchers report

21 days until position players report

27 days until the Florida Southern game

28 days until the first spring training game

66 days until opening day – Tigers @ White Sox

70 days until home opener – Red Sox @ Tigers

• Like 1

On January 27, 2017 at 10:22 AM, davidsb said:

17 days until pitchers and catchers report

21 days until position players report

27 days until the Florida Southern game

28 days until the first spring training game

66 days until opening day – Tigers @ White Sox

70 days until home opener – Red Sox @ Tigers

Are you going to send any autograph requests?

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, jimtigers65 said:

Are you going to send any autograph requests?

Maybe a few to ex-Tigers.

10 days until pitchers and catchers report

14 days until position players report

20 days until the Florida Southern game

21 days until the first spring training game

59 days until opening day – Tigers @ White Sox

63 days until home opener – Red Sox @ Tigers

What a gig.  'Hey I will give you a million a year to play baseball in the summers from April to October and give you 4 months off to travel wherever you want in the offseason'

Is there a better job on the planet?

Looking forward to that 21 day one.  Wish I was going to be able to make it down to watch one live, but not this year.

20 days until the Florida Souther game and I'm foaming at the mouth and smashing furniture already.  Oh I hate those guys I just f'in hate them.  This needs to be a physical and emotional beating that ruins their lives.

11 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

20 days until the Florida Souther game and I'm foaming at the mouth and smashing furniture already.  Oh I hate those guys I just f'in hate them.  This needs to be a physical and emotional beating that ruins their lives.

Yes, must win. The most important game of the season. Lose and the other 162 games are pointless. ?

On 2/3/2017 at 6:45 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

'The notion that being a professional baseball player is a fun job has strongest appeal to those who know least about it' - Bill James

This is one of those bad pinterest quotes. It sounds cute, but makes no sense at all. I get his point, it's never as fun as it looks, but he's overcompensating big time. To insinuate that it's not a fun job might be the silliest thing he's ever said. There's a reason they all cry when they have to retire. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yoda said:

This is one of those bad pinterest quotes. It sounds cute, but makes no sense at all. I get his point, it's never as fun as it looks, but he's overcompensating big time. To insinuate that it's not a fun job might be the silliest thing he's ever said. There's a reason they all cry when they have to retire. 

I think it's a fun but difficult job.  JBK seemed to be suggesting it was an easy job, which I don't believe is true.  I would like to be talented enough to play a sport for a living, but the travelling and the pounding your body takes over a 162-game season is draining.  And unless you are really really good, you've got very little job security.  

17 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'll miss my sons terribly when my sons move out and likely will have a private cry, but fun would be not be on my short list of adjectives to describe parenting.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'll cry when my sons move out, but I wouldn't call parenting fun.

You probably get a great deal of satisfaction out of it though.  There are a lot of jobs that are boring and unfilling and people just do them to make money.  I would guess about half of the employed population falls into that category.  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think it's a fun but difficult job.  JBK seemed to be suggesting it was an easy job, which I don't believe is true.  I would like to be talented enough to play a sport for a living, but the travelling and the pounding your body takes over a 162-game season is draining.  And unless you are really really good, you've got very little job security.  

See, there's a difference there. I agree it's probably a very hard job. But that's not what James said. And hard jobs can absolutely be fun. 

I agree with you in that it would be very draining. But you also get a pretty long break, and the money/excitement of it probably more than makes up for it. 

How many legit MLB players have ever quit because they weren't having fun? 

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You probably get a great deal of satisfaction out of it though.  There are a lot of jobs that are boring and unfilling and people just do them to make money.  I would guess about half of the employed population falls into that category.  

Sure, but being satisfied or deriving satisfaction by itself isn't the same as having fun.  And, as alluded to, the extent to which there is fun is leavened out by the challenges inherent to the task.

I think professional athletes cry when they retire because the thing they dedicated their life to is gone.

They have fun playing, but I am not sure being a professional athlete is necessarily more *fun* than another career.  I have quite a lot of fun at my job.  I love what I do.  I don't hear people going on about how fun designing is.

James never claimed or inferred playing baseball isn't fun.

He merely claimed the appeal of baseball as a career because it is fun is greatest for those who aren't around it.  Implying those not around it don't appreciate the dedication and stress associated with it.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sure, but satisfaction by itself isn't the same as having fun.  And, as alluded to, that fun is leavened out by the challenges inherent to the task.

I think professional athletes cry when they retire because the thing they dedicated their life to is gone.

Sure, they had fun playing, but I am not sure being a professional athlete is necessarily more *fun* than another career.  I have quite a lot of fun at my job.  I love what I do.  I don't hear people going on about how fun designing is.

I guess it depends on how one defines fun.  When I look up the definition of fun, it suggests passive and not necessarily fulfilling activity that happens to be pleasant - like watching a movie.  That kind of fun is "fun", but for me it's more "fun" to challenge myself even if their is a certain amount pain or hardship involved. I would guess that playing a professional sport is not very fun by the traditional definition, but probably more exciting and fullfiling than the average job.