Deleterious

2017 Michigan Football

CB HIll is hurt again. 

ANN ARBOR -- For a second straight spring, the Michigan football team is missing Lavert Hill.

The second-team all-Big Ten cornerback in 2017 has been sidelined for most of spring practice with a hip or groin injury, cornerbacks coach Mike Zordich said Thursday.

And therein lies the issue. Zordich isn't sure exactly what is going on.

"I'm trying to figure that out," Zordich said following Michigan's 10th spring practice. 

"I think he (got) about two practices in, but that's been it. I'd like to have him out there, for sure, but we're not waiting on him."

As a result, fifth-year senior Brandon Watson and sophomore Ambry Thomas are getting work in at cornerback opposite David Long. All three are healthy and playing well, Zordich said, along with walk-on Hunter Reynolds and early enrollee Myles Sims.

Meanwhile, Hill just sits.

"He's losing valuable time, unfortunately for him," Zordich said. "But that allows Brandon Watson to continue to get better. Ambry Thomas to get better. David Long to get better. 

"And as I mentioned, Hunter and Myles. It's great for those guys. They're just growing by leaps and bounds."

Asked if it was a muscular issue with Hill, a junior from Detroit, Zordich didn't know.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/04/michigan_cb_lavert_hill_sideli_1.html

Seems like Michigan has a national title contender at every starting position except LT and RT. Those probably aren't important, right? 

I'm cool at RT, but good lord I didn't think we could strike out on all those OTs...

Pumped for Shea that's for sure.  Playoff or bust. 

UM needs to focus on beating MSU and OSU and winning the B10 before thinking about a national championship.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

UM needs to focus on beating MSU and OSU and winning the B10 before thinking about a national championship.

If you beat MSU and OSU and win the big ten, you are probably in good shape to compete for a national title, no?

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

If you beat MSU and OSU and win the big ten, you are probably in good shape to compete for a national title, no?

Absolutely. I’m just advocating a horse-before-the-cart line of thinking.  We have to re-establish ourselves as one of the dominant B10 programs before we talk of national championships. 

I don't really see the relevance of beating rivals in the past. Michigan could have lost 100 games in a row and if they had the talent I'd be calling them a national title contender, not a "could beat Ohio state contender" 

Forget Ohio State......Michigan doesn't focus enough rivalry effort on Michigan State, which has owned them for a decade.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Based on what?

UM has made OSU their rivalry focus as long as I can remember - much more than MSU.  If I was Harbaugh I'd switch that.

I am a Michigan fan but I feel horrible for Felton Davis.  I don't know if they have said what happened, but it sure looked like how one would react to a torn or ruptured achilles and that is such a horrible injury.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am a Michigan fan but I feel horrible for Felton Davis.  I don't know if they have said what happened, but it sure looked like how one would react to a torn or ruptured achilles and that is such a horrible injury.  

You found the old thread.

anyway, MSU is culpable in all of this with their **** field and failure to tarp. 

40 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You found the old thread.

anyway, MSU is culpable in all of this with their **** field and failure to tarp. 

What happened today was a disgrace.  At 11:45 I heard Dennis Fithian speaking of a line of storms with lightning approaching East Lansing straight-on.  It looked like the storms would get there around 12:20-12:30.   If Dennis Fithian knew it, so did the officials in change.  The should have delayed the start of that game.    I have a feeling it was FOX's call.   

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What happened today was a disgrace.  At 11:45 I heard Dennis Fithian speaking of a line of storms with lightning approaching East Lansing straight-on.  It looked like the storms would get there around 12:20-12:30.   If Dennis Fithian knew it, so did the officials in change.  The should have delayed the start of that game.    I have a feeling it was FOX's call.   

I don’t see what delaying the start would accomplish. 

Just now, Shelton said:

I don’t see what delaying the start would accomplish. 

Because it's better to delay the start then to get everyone in there, play 10-12 minutes and then have to get everyone out of there, including the fans, and then start the whole process over.     That starting, then stopping, then starting again could have contributed to Felton Davis' injury a little bit too.    The whole routine was thrown out of whack for everyone.     It was a terrible decision.     It's like having a baseball game start - then taking the players off the diamond for 90 minutes in the 2nd inning.  Screws up everything. 

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because it's better to delay the start then to get everyone in there, play 10-12 minutes and then have to get everyone out of there, including the fans, and then start the whole process over.     That starting, then stopping, then starting again could have contributed to Felton Davis' injury a little bit too.    The whole routine was thrown out of whack for everyone.     It was a terrible decision.     It's like having a baseball game start - then taking the players off the diamond for 90 minutes in the 2nd inning.  Screws up everything. 

Why is it better?

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Why is it better?

Because it's just easier for the flow of the game.   These guys have routines and it's tough to repeat those suddenly like that.   Plus for the fans it's even worse.  Not all of them have cars in the parking lot.  A lot of them parked really far away, some even take shuttles to the stadium.   They have nowhere to really go.  Probably half of those fans.     Better if they find out around 11:30 - the game is starting at 2pm,  bad weather is coming, make plans for that.    Interrupting a game is the worst, especially when they knew the weather was hitting so early into the game.