Jump to content

Deleterious

2017 Michigan Football

Recommended Posts


1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In before Valenti bashes UM for picking up players from other programs.

Right?

It would be nice to have this guy for his experience alone, but his durability and (good enough) skill make him a must-get IMO.  Also, never hurts to have another guy with Rudock-like intellect on the squad.

It may be hard to beat out Texas for him, pretty sure his parents still live in Austin where he played in HS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Both UM and UT have excellent graduate programs.

Can't-lose situation for Anderson.

I bet UT would love to have him to help mentor their bumper crop of incoming freshmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

michigan is getting its *** kicked in recruiting this year so i dont expect them to pick up this guy.  plus he's from texas and its difficult to pull kids out of there.

we'll see.  they desperately need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buddha said:

michigan is getting its *** kicked in recruiting this year so i dont expect them to pick up this guy.  plus he's from texas and its difficult to pull kids out of there.

we'll see.  they desperately need it.

Texas had an epic class this year, which makes Michigan's look perhaps worse than it is.  With so many underclassmen returning it had to be tough to recruit blue chips this year. I think the class has potential the way Rich Rod's first full recruiting class did (2009--Forcier, Robinson, Gallon, Campbell, Toussaint, Roundtree, Lewan, Schofield, Roh).  I can live with it if the group turns out comparable.  Yes, I realize that the 2018 group is inferior on paper to the 2009 group.

I don't think they get Anderson, either.  Also, unless Drevno keeps his job the OT from California (Patterson) goes to UCLA.  To put it in persepective, Harbaugh is about to strike out on an All-Conf USA Honorable Menition OT transfer and the 24th-rated prep OT in the country.  Not a good look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Texas had an epic class this year, which makes Michigan's look perhaps worse than it is.  With so many underclassmen returning it had to be tough to recruit blue chips this year. I think the class has potential the way Rich Rod's first full recruiting class did (2009--Forcier, Robinson, Gallon, Campbell, Toussaint, Roundtree, Lewan, Schofield, Roh).  I can live with it if the group turns out comparable.  Yes, I realize that the 2018 group is inferior on paper to the 2009 group.

I don't think they get Anderson, either.  Also, unless Drevno keeps his job the OT from California (Patterson) goes to UCLA.  To put it in persepective, Harbaugh is about to strike out on an All-Conf USA Honorable Menition OT transfer and the 24th-rated prep OT in the country.  Not a good look.

elite schools reload every year with top 5-10 recruiting classes even though the depth chart is daunting.

the depth chart is not an excuse.

just proof that michigan isnt elite yet.  next year is very very key for them for whether they return to being Michigan or just keep being iowa like they are now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

elite schools reload every year with top 5-10 recruiting classes even though the depth chart is daunting.

the depth chart is not an excuse.

just proof that michigan isnt elite yet.  next year is very very key for them for whether they return to being Michigan or just keep being iowa like they are now.

Michigan will never have top 5 classes every year.  There are valid reasons for that and OSU is one of them. 

Not being in the SE region, Texas or in SOCAL are others. 

Academic standards are another hurdle. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Michigan will never have top 5 classes every year.  There are valid reasons for that and OSU is one of them. 

Not being in the SE region, Texas or in SOCAL are others. 

Academic standards are another hurdle. 

 

 

Michigan basketball is the future of Michigan football unless and until the whole NCAA structure turns into something different than what it is today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Michigan basketball is the future of Michigan football unless and until the whole NCAA structure turns into something different than what it is today.

Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Michigan will never have top 5 classes every year.  There are valid reasons for that and OSU is one of them. 

Not being in the SE region, Texas or in SOCAL are others. 

Academic standards are another hurdle. 

 

 

i dont believe that.  michigan recruits the same kids as osu.  both harbaugh and hoke have collected top 5 classes with osu at its current strength.  they need to keep that going every year if they want to catch the buckeyes.

academic standards for michigan football players are no higher than they are at texas or usc or ucla.  thats an excuse that michigan likes to throw out.  michigan isnt ol miss or alabama, but its not stanford or northwestern either (and those schools get the players they want too, its easy to get these guys straight a's in high school for them to qualify).

michigan is in for the same kids as ohio state every year, they just dont get as many of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i dont believe that.  michigan recruits the same kids as osu.  both harbaugh and hoke have collected top 5 classes with osu at its current strength.  they need to keep that going every year if they want to catch the buckeyes.

academic standards for michigan football players are no higher than they are at texas or usc or ucla.  thats an excuse that michigan likes to throw out.  michigan isnt ol miss or alabama, but its not stanford or northwestern either (and those schools get the players they want too, its easy to get these guys straight a's in high school for them to qualify).

michigan is in for the same kids as ohio state every year, they just dont get as many of them.

Just because you can collect a top 5 class on occasion doesn't mean you can do it several years running at Michigan. It is nice to have lofty goals, but then reality hits. Michigan's lack of in-state talent alone hurts, and the OSU brand is so strong in Ohio--Harbaugh will get only the occasional difference-maker there.  There is a reason Michigan has to recruit so hard nationally and in SEC country--PSU and OSU are cleaning up on their home turf.  Wisconsin has also do everything a good job holding onto its homegrown OL talent. 

If PSU and OSU get slapped with sanctions then maybe you will see that string of great classes.  

Harbaugh is recruiting a lot of really good students for running a program who's standards are being compared to UCLA and USC. 

I just can't be mad at a top 15 class this year, won't stop you from being mad tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Just because you can collect a top 5 class on occasion doesn't mean you can do it several years running at Michigan. It is nice to have lofty goals, but then reality hits. Michigan's lack of in-state talent alone hurts, and the OSU brand is so strong in Ohio--Harbaugh will get only the occasional difference-maker there.  There is a reason Michigan has to recruit so hard nationally and in SEC country--PSU and OSU are cleaning up on their home turf.  Wisconsin has also do everything a good job holding onto its homegrown OL talent. 

If PSU and OSU get slapped with sanctions then maybe you will see that string of great classes.  

Harbaugh is recruiting a lot of really good students for running a program who's standards are being compared to UCLA and USC. 

I just can't be mad at a top 15 class this year, won't stop you from being mad tho. 

you seem to take this really personally.

michigan outrecruited or equalled ohio state when lloyd was there and was still active.  michigan is a national recruiting school and can pull kids as well as osu can.

im not sure why youre attributing some mystical recruiting ability that ohio state has over michigan.  the difference is ohio state has urban meyer and theyre winning.  if michigan starts to win again, it will be equal to osu and it has the potential to be.

wisconsin plugs olinemen and linebackers into its system and dominates.  most of the olinemen and linebackers they sign are not even recruited by michigan or ohio state.  its a function of better coaching than michigan has had recently.

i think youre selling michigan short.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

according to 247, michigan had a higher rated class than ohio state almost every year until 2010.  then ohio state took off amd started getting top 5 classes every year.

even so, michigan finished with multiple top 5 classes after 2010 when hoke had two and harbaugh had two.

the idea that michigan cant recruit with the big boys is silly.  they have been for years.  thats why this class is a disappointment so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

you seem to take this really personally.

michigan outrecruited or equalled ohio state when lloyd was there and was still active.  michigan is a national recruiting school and can pull kids as well as osu can.

im not sure why youre attributing some mystical recruiting ability that ohio state has over michigan.  the difference is ohio state has urban meyer and theyre winning.  if michigan starts to win again, it will be equal to osu and it has the potential to be.

wisconsin plugs olinemen and linebackers into its system and dominates.  most of the olinemen and linebackers they sign are not even recruited by michigan or ohio state.  its a function of better coaching than michigan has had recently.

i think youre selling michigan short.  

Living in college football recruiting past is something that I won't do. 

The landscape of CFB and recruiting  has changed quite a bit since Carr was at Michigan.  One of those changes was the arrival of Meyer in Columbus. 

I admit that I have a difficult time seeing how the Michigan Football brand is as alluring to recruits as it was when Carr stepped down.  The program just doesn't carry the same juice in my region that Bama, Clemson, FSU, UF, UGA, Miami, LSU, Auburn, UCLA, USC or Note Dame do.  If Texas recruited here, if they ever needed to, maybe add them as well. 

Multiple playoff appearances or an NC could help that cause quite a bit, but geography is not Michigan's ally.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all other things being equal, UM is at a disadvantage in terms of the local applicant pool compared to OSU (which has all of Ohio - a strong HS FB state), Wisconsin (that has all of WS, anyone in MN that they care to pursue plus Chicagoland),  and PSU (also a bigger pool in a better FB state). Aside from pure geography, UM also has the strongest in-state rival. 

In addition, UM and Wisc to some extent - also suffer from the lower profile of athletics within the student body and the larger university on campus. This is a basic culture issue that no coach or AD can change. UMs overall culture is not going to be as appealing for the average star athlete. Just look at the difference between the board of trustees at MSU and the board of Regents at UM to see what I'm talking about. The MSU board is half-football alums not to mention Perles. With the exception of Brandon's stint, that kind of athletic interest from the bottom to the top of the university is just less present at UM. Can you even conceive of a UM President making the kind of obsequious comments about his head FB coach that Gordon Gee did about Tressel even in jest? Just woundn't happen. And A^2 does not have anything like the kind of booster culture that exists in Columbus either.

A great coach will get his share of great recruits at M, but he's not working from anything like a level playing field with his competition.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wisconsin has never had a higher recruiting class than Michigan.  The idea that Michigan is at a disadvantage in recruiting compared to Wisconsin is laughable.

Michigan had FOUR top FIVE recruiting classes since Urban Meyer arrived at Ohio State.  The only schools with more are Alabama, Georgia, and Florida State.  Michigan is a national recruiting school and should enjoy top 5 recruiting classes every season.  It is not at a disadvantage compared to Ohio State in terms of prestige or school, it is at a disadvantage compared to head coaches and program perceptions.

Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State can all recruit with the SEC (except Bama under Saban).  They have for years.  You guys are making excuses for a poor class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State can all recruit with the SEC (except Bama under Saban).  They have for years.  You guys are making excuses for a poor class.

not really - simply a matter of having a different expectation of what we will see out of UM in the future. I think it is unlikely that UM will win as many football games in the next 10 yrs as OSU or PSU - no matter who coaches the team over the period and or where they recruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Buddha said:

Wisconsin has never had a higher recruiting class than Michigan.  The idea that Michigan is at a disadvantage in recruiting compared to Wisconsin is laughable.

Who said this?  LOL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Who said this?  LOL.

 

Gehringer said Wisconsin had an advantage over Michigan in recruiting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Buddha said:

 

Michigan had FOUR top FIVE recruiting classes since Urban Meyer arrived at Ohio State.  The only schools with more are Alabama, Georgia, and Florida State.  Michigan is a national recruiting school and should enjoy top 5 recruiting classes every season.  It is not at a disadvantage compared to Ohio State in terms of prestige or school, it is at a disadvantage compared to head coaches and program perceptions.

Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State can all recruit with the SEC (except Bama under Saban).  They have for years.  You guys are making excuses for a poor class.

Michigan Football Recruiting Classes Ranked by year 

 

24/7/Scout                                                                 Rivals

2018 14th (pre National Letter of Intent Day)     16th (Pre NLOID)

2017 5th                                                                     4th

2016  8th                                                                    4th

2015 37th                                                                   50th

2014 20th                                                                   31st

2013 4th                                                                     5th

2012 6th                                                                     7th

2011 30th                                                                   21st

2010 17th                                                                   20th

2009 10th                                                                  8th

2008 11th                                                                 10th

2007 11th                                                                 12th

2006 10th                                                                  13th

2005  5th                                                                    6th

2004 6th                                                                     5th

2003 5th                                                                     17th

2002  14th                                                                  16th

2001  3rd                                                                    N/A

2000  27th                                                                  N/A

1999 1st                                                                      N/A

 

At least now I can see why it could be seen that Michigan has had more top-5 classes of late.  Rivals lists '16 as a 4th, 24/7 (Scout) lists it as an 8th and I have always trusted Scout's evals more.  Overall, there are discrepancies but between the two it is easy to see Michigan's classes hit a marked period of decline after 2009.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Gehringer said Wisconsin had an advantage over Michigan in recruiting.  

In Wisconsin/Minny/Chicagoland IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mickeyb105 said:

In Wisconsin/Minny/Chicagoland IIRC.

The idea that Michigan is at a disadvantage to Wisconsin anywhere other than the state of Wisconsin is silly.  And who cares?  Not many recruits come out of there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buddha said:

The idea that Michigan is at a disadvantage to Wisconsin anywhere other than the state of Wisconsin is silly.  And who cares?  Not many recruits come out of there.

You know what seems silly right now?  Michigan having a better OL or feature back than Wisconsin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,818
    • Total Posts
      3,021,814
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...