Deleterious

2017 Michigan Football

On 12/3/2017 at 3:56 PM, hail2mich said:

Headed to the Outback Bowl to play South Carolina again. They jumped MSU and Northwestern. I guess the Outback Bowl wanted to sell ticket 

I think that's the point of most if not all bowl games.   Those fan bases suck. 

Anyways,   Harbaugh shouldn't have taken the bait earlier this week, but deep down I don't mind him sticking up for UM. I enjoy it.  Harbaugh later explained Dantonio just shouldnt talk about UM at all, and he is right.  Why is it JH's fault that they were selected instead msu? He starts crap and then has the nerve to say stuff like "It's never over".  What an idiot.  He constantly takes shots at UM and all it does is fuel the little brother comments.  His immature jealousy continues to amaze me but it shouldnt, because he is an *******.  And before anyone comes back with the "just beat him" crap, they will.  Osu's and msu's best player (john okorn) will be graduating.  Maybe coach little d will get lucky again next year and all of their games will be played in a hurricane. Then he could wear his super cool beany every week too. 

On 12/3/2017 at 2:24 PM, RedTeamGo! said:

$10 says Patterson ends up at Texas A&M

I am pretty sure Texas A&M is in the SEC.  He cannot transfer to an SEC school or anyone on their schedule in the next two seasons.  

39 minutes ago, RJBBREZ said:

I am pretty sure Texas A&M is in the SEC.  

LOL - it has gotten harder to be sure about who is where anymore.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:10 PM, mickeyb105 said:

Amazing the play this kid is getting.....I realize he had great 'crootin stars.....but does the production in college warrant the irrational exuberance?

Pat Caputo - QB Shea Patterson would make Michigan instant, legitimate national championship contender

Michigan is a quarterback away from all its dreams coming true. Sound simplistic?

It won’t be if Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines land transfer Shea Patterson from Mississippi, and he is eligible in 2018.

Michigan would immediately become a national championship contender.

Skill-wise, he is a combination of Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield. It’s not an exaggeration.

....and then there's the reality outside of the UM fanbase and Caputo.

Johnny Manziel as a RS freshman vs. Alabama: 24/31 for 252 yards and 2 TDs to go along with 92 yards rushing. Zero turnovers despite being under pressure all day and playing on the road. Leads team to 29-24 win.

Shea Patterson as a true Sophomore vs Alabama: 14-29 for 165 yards, 2 Ints and 0 TDs with a QBR of 7.0. Ran for -8 yards, took five sacks and fumbled the ball once. Team lost 66-3.

He TOTALLY combines everything good about Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield though. Totally.

Schembechler started Leach. 
Carr started Henne. 
Both were true freshman.

Now we see Harbaugh scrambling for another transfer after having Peters, McCaffrey on campus and getting 4* Milton who is leaving IMG in FL early to enroll in Jan ‘18.

Are we to believe after a redshirt season, the 15 extra bowl practices and getting another spring practice of experience that McCaffrey really isn’t up to the task and neither is incoming freshman Milton?

Against the 4 SEC opponents he faced he took 11 sacks, fumbled 4 times, threw 5 picks, and ran for -20 yards. Assuming he is going to bail out a mediocre O line really isn't supported by his history and he is coming off a torn knee ligament. The kid was a five star recruit and looks like he has some talent, but he is going to face some tough defenses and outside the Auburn game, I don't see that he has done much in his career against a defense with a pulse.

In 7 games this season...Shea Patterson's stats.

Teams without a pulse... 4 games 
15 TDs, 3 INTs 
108/157 we% 1628 yards 
10.4 ypa

Teams with a pulse....3 games 
2 TDs 5 INTs 
58/103 56.3% 627 yards 
6.1 ypa

Sounds perfect for Michigan

While I realize those negative comments aren't from UM fans and are biased - the facts are facts.   The kid may have potential but the UM fanbase is losing their minds over someone that's more hype than production at this point in time.   That could change, but he's far from "instantly" making them a National Championship contender.

2 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Amazing the play this kid is getting.....I realize he had great 'crootin stars.....but does the production in college warrant the irrational exuberance?

Pat Caputo - QB Shea Patterson would make Michigan instant, legitimate national championship contender

While I realize those negative comments aren't from UM fans and are biased - the facts are facts.   The kid may have potential but the UM fanbase is losing their minds over someone that's more hype than production at this point in time.   That could change, but he's far from "instantly" making them a National Championship contender.

Michigan needs to adequately replace Cole at LT no matter who is under center, or else next year will be brutal to watch as more quarterbacks get injured.  I would much rather have Greg Little.

Comparing Patterson's production to Manziel's vs two different Bama squads is cherry picking.  Perhaps you can compare their first 10 games as starting QB?  

PCT      YDS      TD     INT     RATE

Patterson         61          3139    23      12      141

Manziel             67          2780   18        6       155

Manziel's number are better for sure, but Patterson's are in the neighborhood.

After a season where QB play contributed directly to each of the four losses, there is much reason for optimism even with the relatively small 10-game sample-size.

Patterson represents an incremental talent upgrade over all three 4* QB on the roster, and more importantly, he's put up his results against NCAA competition.  Sure, he didn't look impressive vs Bama, but he threw for 364 yards yards vs Auburn--130 more than anyone else in '17.

I'm not sure why it is hard to understand the excitement from the Michigan base or the media unless you are just simply trolling.

It won't matter who plays QB if the OL isn't better in '18. That said I'm all for giving Paterson a shot to compete. 

10 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Compare his numbers before his injury this season to a walking piece of dung like Okorn and you can see why people are overreacting.O'korn singlehandedly lost UM's rivalry games.  With the defense they have coming back and pretty much all of the skill position production coming back, it seems like all they need is a solid QB to be a contender, atleast in the conference anyway.  You can't have watched losses like the msu and osu game without thinking the results would have been different with an actual QB.They were neck and neck with Wisconsin until Peters got hurt and guesss who came in and the team went downhill.  It's just my point of view, but after watching the team this year, I'm beyond excited for next season based on the absolute fact that there is no way Okorn can ever take a snap again.  Whoever takes the snaps next season cannot possibly be any worse than Okorn and that is a great reason to optimistic. 

9 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Michigan needs to adequately replace Cole at LT no matter who is under center, or else next year will be brutal to watch as more quarterbacks get injured.  I would much rather have Greg Little.

Comparing Patterson's production to Manziel's vs two different Bama squads is cherry picking.  Perhaps you can compare their first 10 games as starting QB?  

After a season where QB play contributed directly to each of the four losses, there is much reason for optimism even with the relatively small 10-game sample-size.

Patterson represents an incremental talent upgrade over all three 4* QB on the roster, and more importantly, he's put up his results against NCAA competition.  Sure, he didn't look impressive vs Bama, but he threw for 364 yards yards vs Auburn--130 more than anyone else in '17.

I'm not sure why it is hard to understand the excitement from the Michigan base or the media unless you are just simply trolling.

100% agreed.  Well said.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

he understands it.  he's just trolling michigan as usual.

don't feed the trolls.

Good get for UM, but, Peters must be furious. 

Thia is meta, but I feel like when a coach brings in an outsider like this the player currently on the roster that just lost his starting spot should be able to transfer without sitting out a year. 

We will see what happens. I expect Patterson will win the job, and I’m sure Peters will be frustrated if that happens because he seemed to have the inside track at the job. But he was going to have to beat out mccaffrey anyway. Teams typically take a QB every class and you can only play one. Either you are good enough to win the job or you aren’t. Increased competition makes it tougher, but there is going to be competition every year. If it turns out you are the best, then you will continue to win the job. 

30 minutes ago, Shelton said:

We will see what happens. I expect Patterson will win the job, and I’m sure Peters will be frustrated if that happens because he seemed to have the inside track at the job. But he was going to have to beat out mccaffrey anyway. Teams typically take a QB every class and you can only play one. Either you are good enough to win the job or you aren’t. Increased competition makes it tougher, but there is going to be competition every year. If it turns out you are the best, then you will continue to win the job. 

Eh, that’s coachspeak. 

Patterson came to UM because he was told he would start from day 1. I don’t buy that there will be a real competition.

14 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Eh, that’s coachspeak. 

Patterson came to UM because he was told he would start from day 1. I don’t buy that there will be a real competition.

Perhaps. He still needs to actually be the best. I have no idea what they told him (and neither do you), but I would think they probably told him something close to that.

presumptive starters lose their jobs to other players all the time. 

But my comment was more about Peters. It’s not like he had any “guarantee.” It sucks for him that he will now have to beat out two other guys instead of one. If he doesn’t think he will get a fair chance, I would expect him to transfer. 

If Peters wants to stay and try to win the job, great. 

1 hour ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Good get for UM, but, Peters must be furious. 

Thia is meta, but I feel like when a coach brings in an outsider like this the player currently on the roster that just lost his starting spot should be able to transfer without sitting out a year. 

Under your proposal, anytime a freshman earns a starting job, the previous starter (presuming he is on the roster) could transfer without sitting out a year?

If Peters plays his cards right he will come out the other end of all this a better QB.  If Brady had to wait his turn in AA, Peters can too.

• Like 1

We'll get to see if Harbaugh can be as persuasive (or maybe duplicitous - xD) as Meyer was when he had to convince Barrett, Jones and Miller all to stay.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

We'll get to see if Harbaugh can be as persuasive (or maybe duplicitous - xD) as Meyer was when he had to convince Barrett, Jones and Miller all to stay.

Maybe Patterson and Peters can learn to cheer for one another under Harbaugh like two of Pope Urban's best did a decade ago.

Cam-Newton-Tim-Tebow-Florida-Gators.jpg

patterson is not a lock to start.  i dont think he's been promised anything.

joe milton dropped to a generic 3* becsuse he cant hit the broadside of a barn.  this recruiting class looks very very ordinary and not nearly as good as the last two.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

patterson is not a lock to start.  i dont think he's been promised anything.

joe milton dropped to a generic 3* becsuse he cant hit the broadside of a barn.  this recruiting class looks very very ordinary and not nearly as good as the last two.

Please post the link to where Milton was demoted to 3*.

Rivals and 24/7 (Scout) have him as a 4, just looked. 

32 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Please post the link to where Milton was demoted to 3*.

Rivals and 24/7 (Scout) have him as a 4, just looked. 

nope.  youre right.  he dropped 100 spots.   i assumed that was down to a 3*.

9 minutes ago, Buddha said:

nope.  youre right.  he dropped 100 spots.   i assumed that was down to a 3*.

He's a project at Michigan or any top 50 program.  But if you shorten the play book, roll him out and give him some good receivers he could look good in a pinch.  Hopefully, it won't come to that next year.