Deleterious

2017 Michigan Football

20 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

IDK if its been talked about, I'm a bit out of the loop, but is there any Newsome news?

JIMO, but no recent news on Newsome is bad news for any hopes of him starting at LT in '18.

It just feels like Antonio Bass all over again.

Newsome's health was bad after the injury, although I don't know if that in any way impacted his recovery to this point. You've gotta feel for this guy, and legit wonder how bad Michigan's LT situation will be next year barring a miracle grad transfer.  The recent LT prospects seem to be light, in dire need of two years of the S&C program before they can push pads at the B1G level.

For those who may not remember Antonio Bass or his injury:

Unfortunately, Bass' career ended with those 28 offensive touches after he suffered a significant leg injury on the first day of spring practice.
"Before Bass had woken from anesthesia, his doctor had said that, in his 30-plus years in the medical field, he had never seen a worse, more freak-accident injury: 'The doctor said it was like I had fallen off a three-story building and landed straight on my leg,' Bass recalled in an article written by Andy Reid for the The Michigan Daily in 2010

Bass was the guy who would have been perfect for Rich Rod's offense had he been able to make it back.  As a receiver, an NFL talent.

The Shea Patterson rumors are only heating up more now that the Ole Miss sanctions came down. He's originally from Toledo and apparently he grew up a big Michigan fan. With the current ruling, he would have to sit out a year because he's not an upperclassman, but it sounds like there may be some legal action to see if the transfers can play immediately.

I don't know how anyone could be against him coming to Michigan. I get that it may ruffle some feathers with the guys Harbaugh has brought in already, but if this season has taught us anything, it's don't take QB depth lightly. After losing Speight and Malzone, there is room for another QB and competition is wide-open. Why not bring in a possible stud? Patterson is a legit QB who would make an immediate impact.

31 minutes ago, hail2mich said:

The Shea Patterson rumors are only heating up more now that the Ole Miss sanctions came down. He's originally from Toledo and apparently he grew up a big Michigan fan. With the current ruling, he would have to sit out a year because he's not an upperclassman, but it sounds like there may be some legal action to see if the transfers can play immediately.

I don't know how anyone could be against him coming to Michigan. I get that it may ruffle some feathers with the guys Harbaugh has brought in already, but if this season has taught us anything, it's don't take QB depth lightly. After losing Speight and Malzone, there is room for another QB and competition is wide-open. Why not bring in a possible stud? Patterson is a legit QB who would make an immediate impact.

Amazing that Harbaugh would bring him in over Peters and McCaffrey.   I wonder if this would cause Milton to pause and rethink?

It just seems to me that this causes a lot of turmoil in the QB room.   You can talk about adding "depth" but the reality is that if Patterson transfers in that at least one of those 3 and possibly 2 of them will leave or never sign.   In the end I don't think it adds any lasting depth at all.

Beyond the potential turmoil what kind of message does it send to the 3 of them?   Seems to me it tells them that there isn't much confidence in them.

Rudock worked out and wasn't really brought in over Harbaugh's recruits.   O'Korn didn't work out and his playing time might have been better spent developing a young QB.  I sincerely question whether would be a positive move for Michigan.

patterson was the #1 qb recruit in the country that year.  would michigan really turn him down?  i doubt it.

i also doubt he comes.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

patterson was the #1 qb recruit in the country that year.  would michigan really turn him down?  i doubt it.

i also doubt he comes.

I guess.  I don't know if that's the best evaluation model for a QB.  I don't understand how the UM fanbase is reconciling Coach Harbaugh's supposed incredible QB evaluation/developmental skills with the continual need to import QBs from other programs.  What does that say about the QBs signed and developed by this staff?

As an admitted non-neutral observer I find it amusing that JH happily took Rudock as a grad transfer from Iowa but has now specified that Speight cannot go to a B1GTen program or a non-conference opponent.  Seems a bit hypocritical to me.   Again the reconciliation of "not good enough to be declared our starter" vs "too good for us to play and beat" is interesting.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I guess.  I don't know if that's the best evaluation model for a QB.  I don't understand how the UM fanbase is reconciling Coach Harbaugh's supposed incredible QB evaluation/developmental skills with the continual need to import QBs from other programs.  What does that say about the QBs signed and developed by this staff?

As an admitted non-neutral observer I find it amusing that JH happily took Rudock as a grad transfer from Iowa but has now specified that Speight cannot go to a B1GTen program or a non-conference opponent.  Seems a bit hypocritical to me.   Again the reconciliation of "not good enough to be declared our starter" vs "too good for us to play and beat" is interesting.

?

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Patterson was leading the SEC in passing yards when he got hurt this season. He also performed well when he played last season as a frosh. Although that doesn't represent a cohesive year of play, it does show he can perform at the highest level of NCAA competition.  His HS pedigree is just the cherry on top. 

I agree with Buddha, it is unlikely he ends up at Michigan. Sources close to the program say Harbaugh has decided he isn't pursuing Patterson.  It may have to do with Patterson's brother, it may not. 

Make no mistake about it, Patterson would be the best QB in AA since Henson. 

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Patterson was leading the SEC in passing yards when he got hurt this season. He also performed well when he played last season as a frosh. Although that doesn't represent a cohesive year of play, it does show he can perform at the highest level of NCAA competition.  His HS pedigree is just the cherry on top. 

I agree with Buddha, it is unlikely he ends up at Michigan. Sources close to the program say Harbaugh has decided he isn't pursuing Patterson.  It may have to do with Patterson's brother, it may not. 

Make no mistake about it, Patterson would be the best QB in AA since Henson. 

If JH has decided not to pursue him I'd guess it would be a decision made after considering the possible fallout.   IF they took him and say 2 of Peters/McCaffrey/Milton moved on it could be a pretty rotten deal.  None of us know what assurances if any were made to them regarding recruiting other QBs over them.

What's the "brother" deal, I hadn't caught that anywhere else?

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

If JH has decided not to pursue him I'd guess it would be a decision made after considering the possible fallout.   IF they took him and say 2 of Peters/McCaffrey/Milton moved on it could be a pretty rotten deal.  None of us know what assurances if any were made to them regarding recruiting other QBs over them.

What's the "brother" deal, I hadn't caught that anywhere else?

LG, my guess is two of Peters/McCaffrey/Milton would move on--if not now, but eventually if Patterson were to come to AA.  Also a pure guess--Milton stays because it still puts him on target for two years as the starter, maybe three if Patterson moves on after playing one year at Michigan.  Also, Harbaugh took another QB (Kevin Doyle) in the '18 class who he feels is a sleeper 3* who should really be a 4*.  Who knows?

Worrying about fallout amongst recruits is real, but there are plenty of coaches who would sell their souls to land a catalyst like Patterson.  Will JH be one of those coaches?  Stay tuned.  Are the whispers that JH is running Michigan like Saban, running personnel out that don't fit and doing whatever it takes to sign the right ones?  Who knows?

As far as making promises to QB go, I hope Michigan learned their lesson with the Henson catastrophe.  Carr made promises to him and was left with Navarre. 

Some say the older brother stinks of dirty money:

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/03/ole_miss_shea_patterson.html

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_a132abf9-38df-5c52-81d9-9e30b995a22d.html

Interesting that he's considered that good.   He would seem to align with the team at UM, maturity wise.   They would all be ready to win together.

7 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

i dont get the analogy between rudock and speight.  they wanted speight to stay and he decided to leave.  rudock waa told to get out of iowa because beathard said it was either him or me.

his "incredible need to import qbs from other programs"?  you mean the one grad transfer (rudock) who came in before any qbs harbaugh recruited?  or the idea they may take a transfer from the #1 qb recruit in the country from 2 years ago?

even saint mark dantonio would take that transfer.  assuming the guy wasnt a rapist.  or maybe that wouldnt bother him too much either?

3 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

LG, my guess is two of Peters/McCaffrey/Milton would move on--if not now, but eventually if Patterson were to come to AA.  Also a pure guess--Milton stays because it still puts him on target for two years as the starter, maybe three if Patterson moves on after playing one year at Michigan.  Also, Harbaugh took another QB (Kevin Doyle) in the '18 class who he feels is a sleeper 3* who should really be a 4*.  Who knows?

Worrying about fallout amongst recruits is real, but there are plenty of coaches who would sell their souls to land a catalyst like Patterson.  Will JH be one of those coaches?  Stay tuned.  Are the whispers that JH is running Michigan like Saban, running personnel out that don't fit and doing whatever it takes to sign the right ones?  Who knows?

As far as making promises to QB go, I hope Michigan learned their lesson with the Henson catastrophe.  Carr made promises to him and was left with Navarre. 

Some say the older brother stinks of dirty money:

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/03/ole_miss_shea_patterson.html

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_a132abf9-38df-5c52-81d9-9e30b995a22d.html

michigan will recruit 1 4* or above qb every year.  if you dont like the competition, then transfer or dont commit.

no more henson situations.

Lots of buzz that Michigan is making a play for Patterson.  

I guess that's one way to shut up people about not having a QB. 

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont get the analogy between rudock and speight.  they wanted speight to stay and he decided to leave.  rudock waa told to get out of iowa because beathard said it was either him or me.

his "incredible need to import qbs from other programs"?  you mean the one grad transfer (rudock) who came in before any qbs harbaugh recruited?  or the idea they may take a transfer from the #1 qb recruit in the country from 2 years ago?

even saint mark dantonio would take that transfer.  assuming the guy wasnt a rapist.  or maybe that wouldnt bother him too much either?

Continual need, not incredible.   And somehow you forgot Mr. O'Korn when discussing importing QBs from other programs.   If Mr. Patterson is accepted that will be 3 transfers in from other programs in 3/4 years.   Most programs don't operate in that fashion.

I hope the rape crack makes you feel better about 4th place this year.   That's the kind of crap that makes having any kind of civil discussion with a UM fan futile.  

If you want to talk rape and throw stones perhaps you should recall Mr. Lewan's role in obstructing justice for Brendan Gibbon's rape?   Keep in mind that these guys PLAYED for UM after this happened.

Read all about it here:

The Cover-up of the Arrest of University of Michigan Football player, Brendan Gibbons, for Rape

Feel free to come back and throw more stones.

24 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Continual need, not incredible.   And somehow you forgot Mr. O'Korn when discussing importing QBs from other programs.   If Mr. Patterson is accepted that will be 3 transfers in from other programs in 3/4 years.   Most programs don't operate in that fashion.

I hope the rape crack makes you feel better about 4th place this year.   That's the kind of crap that makes having any kind of civil discussion with a UM fan futile.  

If you want to talk rape and throw stones perhaps you should recall Mr. Lewan's role in obstructing justice for Brendan Gibbon's rape?   Keep in mind that these guys PLAYED for UM after this happened.

Read all about it here:

The Cover-up of the Arrest of University of Michigan Football player, Brendan Gibbons, for Rape

Feel free to come back and throw more stones.

lol.  civil discussion.  come on.  you can go back to the msu board and talk to yourself if you like...

after last summer, i would think msu fans would have the self-awareness to just say "yeah, we need to be better."  but i guess losing 20 players to discipline issues and covering up for a doctor who has been raping girls for 15 years just isnt enough.  i mean seriously, msu covered up for a guy who raped female gymnasts.  its just like penn state but no one cares about female athletes enough to realize it.  

but you know, talk about that one guy at michigan.  

anyway, back to your baseless harbaugh critique.  yeah he took two grad transfers at qb because the prior administration didnt recruit any decent ones.  oh noes!  harbaugh is teh sucks!  i dont get the point.  actually, the point is to troll michigan fans.  so i do get your point.

michigan will be fine at qb.  every program in country would take patterson as a transfer no matter who was on the team.  he was the #1 qb recruit in the country that year and played well at ole miss.  i dont get what the issue is.

• Like 1

The issue is that it is *concerning* 

We should be happy to have so many MSU fans worried about whether this thing that isn’t going to happen would be bad for Michigan in the event that it does happen. If we won’t look out for ourselves, someone has to.

something something 3rd year

something something third place in division

something something sleepover

something something NFL

something something no championships anywhere

something something hoke’s players

27 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

At the end of the day, are you that concerned with where Harbaugh is getting quarterbacks from?  There are SEC schools plucking what they need from Mississippi's JUCO system every year, so good on JH for trying to improve his team within the rules Michigan has put in place for transfers.

Unorthodox to take a third QB in four years in this fashion?  Yes.  Crazy to take arguably the best QB in his college class when the QB position was so unstable during the season?  Nope.

As someone who liked Gentry's upside very much as a prospect, I would have loved for him to have a couple of years' grooming before he was turned into a TE--but we really have no way of knowing if he was any more suited to play QB than Malzone, Morris or anyone else who didn't work out.

Rudock was taken out of dire need at QB1.  The cupboard was empty, and Rudock had two years of decent track record at Iowa.  Also, he was ultra-intelligent and mature--a perfect solution for JH's game management needs.

O'Korn was a reclamation project, but a worthy gamble.  He went to the same football factory HS Rudock did, so there was a connection of sorts.  At some point, O'Korn regressed and never made it back to the promise he showed as a frosh at Houston save the Purdue game.  One could argue that adding O'Korn impeded the progression of Peters and DM, or one could argue that it gave them another experienced QB to learn from and compete against.  Either way, O'Korn wasn't a successful QB at Michigan the way Rudock was in spite of having marginally better physical tools.

Patterson has thrown for over 3K yards and 23 TD in 10 games, playing in the toughest conference in the country over his first two seasons.  This was exactly what he was supposed to do as the #1QB in his recruiting class, and this is why JH is apparently going after him rather than choose between Peters and McCaffrey.  He's taking the sure thing instead of hoping Peters grows up or gambling on McCaffrey.

I'm OK with a coach who is willing to take arguably the best player in his college class in an effort to win a B1G title.  If the kid ends up putting Michigan on probation, though, that is another tale.

Maybe bad logic on my part.  But I would take him if he can play next year.  If he can't, I probably pass.

Not interested in playing a new QB next season and then opening up the QB competition again the following spring.  

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Maybe bad logic on my part.  But I would take him if he can play next year.  If he can't, I probably pass.

Not interested in playing a new QB next season and then opening up the QB competition again the following spring.  

Agree on most of this for sure, but . . . 

Word is that Patterson is jumping to NFL after the '18 season no matter what.

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I agree. If they take Patterson they may lose Peters right away which would leave he 2018 qb situation without any experienced players. And then in 2019 Patterson would have to compete with a returning starter in McCaffrey. Actually I doubt Patterson would  come here if has to sit a year.

15 minutes ago, Stanley68 said:

I agree. If they take Patterson they may lose Peters right away which would leave he 2018 qb situation without any experienced players. And then in 2019 Patterson would have to compete with a returning starter in McCaffrey. Actually I doubt Patterson would  come here if has to sit a year.

Yeah, Patterson isn't coming to Michigan to sit out in '18.  He will play FBS before he sits,even if he has to transfer again. 

The life of a mercenary, indeed. 

8 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Yeah, Patterson isn't coming to Michigan to sit out in '18.  He will play FBS before he sits,even if he has to transfer again. 

The life of a mercenary, indeed. 

"THOSE WHO STAY WILL BE CHAMPIONS"

nevermind.....

xDxDxD