Deleterious

2017 Michigan Football

14 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

You know, I notice that all my friends who are MSU fans can't keep their mouth shut after a win against Michigan. Yet they are all really quiet today. Strange how that works. 

My MSU Facebook buddies have been quiet tonight as well. It was a bad loss, and State does not play as well when they aren’t considered underdogs or have the perception of being disrespected. 

2 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

I'm pretty sure that MSU and Michigan are going to end up with the same record. One could still pop out at 9-3, but I'd be shocked if both weren't 8-4.

sparty got real lucky against michigan.  they arent very good.  i imagine they'll both finish 8-4.  

Actually come to think of it winning the Big Ten is impossible.  At least three upsets would have to occur (UM over OSU, MSU over PSU, Iowa over OSU) and then still we'd be tied at 2 comference losses with two other teams (MSU, PSU) that already beat us.

12 hours ago, stanpapi said:

You know, I notice that all my friends who are MSU fans can't keep their mouth shut after a win against Michigan. Yet they are all really quiet today. Strange how that works. 

It's strange that no one is talking about a win in a game that wasn't played today?  OK, gotcha.

23 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Actually come to think of it winning the Big Ten is impossible.  At least three upsets would have to occur (UM over OSU, MSU over PSU, Iowa over OSU) and then still we'd be tied at 2 comference losses with two other teams (MSU, PSU) that already beat us.

Yeah, it’s pretty hard to see any reasonable scenario. MSU and PSU need to each lose two more times and OSU needs to lose once and then lose to UM. 

PSU loses to MSU and Maryland maybe?

MSU loses to OSU and Maryland?

OSU loses to Iowa?

so yeah, it isn’t happening.

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Since there seems to be some debate about how good Florida is/isn't.  They fired their coach yesterday.

there isnt any debate among people who actually watch florida play. 

From the Les Miles AMA on Reddit.

[–]LSU TigersYamiosum 550 points 2 days ago 

How close were you to accepting the Michigan job in 2007?

[–]LesMilesAMA 409 points 1 day ago 

This is another one I go pretty in-depth in on my podcast, third episode I believe.

It's my alma mater. It's a place I'm very loyal to. But in short, it's impossible to accept a job that wasn't offered.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:01 PM, Buddha said:

Speight is just fine against Maryland, Rutgers and Michigan State.  When he faces real competition....not so hot.  Because he's an average QB at best.  Sometimes that's all you need if you have a great defense and running game, but I doubt Michigan has that this year.

Look, it's college football and you can catch lightning in a bottle (see Penn State at the end of last year) and win wome games you shouldn't win.  But this is really a 3-4 loss team.  The talent they have is too young for this year unless they get really lucky.

Next year should be their year.  Not this year.

yup.

florida 4-7

cincinnati 4-8

air force 4-7

purdue 6-6

rutgers 4-7

minnesota 5-7

indiana 5-7

maryland 4-7

the best team michigan beat all year was a .500 purdue team.  they didnt beat a team with a winning record.  they were dominated by penn state.  they were beaten at home by their two rivals.  the best game they played all year against a team with a pulse was giving wisconsin a game into the third quarter.

i know i said theyd be a 3 or 4 loss team and this fits into that, but i cant help but feel this year is a disappointment and a let down.  combined with three straight losses to finish last year and its been a bad calendar year of football for michigan.

next year is a murderous schedule.  probably too tough to assume a championship, but at some point michigan needs to win something with the highest paid coach on football, right?

So Michigan didn't play Ohio State to a four-point game inside of 3:00 to go in the game today?  OSU has a pulse, even if they were very beatable today.  Speight on an average day takes today's game right down to the wire vs OSU--JOK was that bad.  At least Speight was willing to take hits, where JOK sacrificed his body to try and complete a pass all of once all day.  

I'm not sure if I've seen a Michigan team have to rely their 3rd string QB like they did this year.  Further, I'm not sure if I've seen such depleted QB depth combined with a early season-ending injury to the team's clear-cut #1 WR.  Black is one of the best frosh WR I've seen at Michigan, and I expect him to be transformative for the offense next season.

Harbaugh not giving McCaffrey a shot the last two weeks of the season was cutting off his nose to spite his face.  Redshirt be dammed, unless McCaffrey isn't as good as reported.   He's getting two prep QB with upside next year and has a puncher's chance at landing an experienced quarterback with more talent than any of them in Patterson when he transfers out of Ole Miss.

Last year's losses to OSU and FSU were jump-balls.  We got unlucky twice, losing to a very good team right at the end of the game.  The FSU loss was without a guy invited to the Heisman Trophy Ceremony.

I know you are sick of excuses and not winning B1G titles, but it is seasons like this that help us appreciate the past titles that much more.  Harbaugh is far from perfect, and it seems the B1G ref crews made him pay for his salty comments towards them going back to the OSU game last year, but he's put a ton of talent on the roster that will allow the team to be competitive for years.  Meyer is a better coach than he is, and maybe a case could be made for Franklin or others--but he's the most complete coach Michigan has had since Carr.

45 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

So Michigan didn't play Ohio State to a four-point game inside of 3:00 to go in the game today?  OSU has a pulse, even if they were very beatable today.  Speight on an average day takes today's game right down to the wire vs OSU--JOK was that bad.  At least Speight was willing to take hits, where JOK sacrificed his body to try and complete a pass all of once all day.  

I'm not sure if I've seen a Michigan team have to rely their 3rd string QB like they did this year.  Further, I'm not sure if I've seen such depleted QB depth combined with a early season-ending injury to the team's clear-cut #1 WR.  Black is one of the best frosh WR I've seen at Michigan, and I expect him to be transformative for the offense next season.

Harbaugh not giving McCaffrey a shot the last two weeks of the season was cutting off his nose to spite his face.  Redshirt be dammed, unless McCaffrey isn't as good as reported.   He's getting two prep QB with upside next year and has a puncher's chance at landing an experienced quarterback with more talent than any of them in Patterson when he transfers out of Ole Miss.

Last year's losses to OSU and FSU were jump-balls.  We got unlucky twice, losing to a very good team right at the end of the game.  The FSU loss was without a guy invited to the Heisman Trophy Ceremony.

I know you are sick of excuses and not winning B1G titles, but it is seasons like this that help us appreciate the past titles that much more.  Harbaugh is far from perfect, and it seems the B1G ref crews made him pay for his salty comments towards them going back to the OSU game last year, but he's put a ton of talent on the roster that will allow the team to be competitive for years.  Meyer is a better coach than he is, and maybe a case could be made for Franklin or others--but he's the most complete coach Michigan has had since Carr.

Agree pretty much with all of this. Except I'd take John over Urban any day of the week. I'd rather go down with a straight shooter than a dirty con man. 

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

harbaugh is the best coach michigan has had since bo.

it seems like he might have too much bo in him: always losing the big game.

Crummy year but not unexpected. I thought 9-3,  but expected a more competent offense under speight and a functional receiving corps. I figured the defense would be kind of bad. Ultimately, the defense looked a lot better, and the offense looked a lot worse (at spots other than QB). 

Lots of reasons for optimism. I would take this kind of 8-4 over the 9-3 I expected. The problems on offense seem easily correctable. 

23 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Crummy year but not unexpected. I thought 9-3,  but expected a more competent offense under speight and a functional receiving corps. I figured the defense would be kind of bad. Ultimately, the defense looked a lot better, and the offense looked a lot worse (at spots other than QB). 

Lots of reasons for optimism. I would take this kind of 8-4 over the 9-3 I expected. The problems on offense seem easily correctable. 

their offense will continue to struggle against good defenses as long as they cant block.

and they lose cole, bushell-beatty, and kugler.  no one knows if newsome will be back.

they should be ok on the inside (dare i say, good?) with ruiz, onwenu, and bredeson.  but who plays tackle?  thats the biggest question for next year on offense.  theyre loaded at the skill positions and peters and mccaffrey come with good pedigrees.

on defense the question will be safety and who replaces hurst.  do they go back to a 4 man front next year to take advantage of their glut of athletic defensive ends?  do they move gary inside and pair with solomon?  or go with dwumfor and/or mone with gary and winovich on the outside?

whatever they choose, the defense should be very good.  if they can get decent play from the qb michigan has a chance to be very very good next year.

The Wilton news means they have a 5th year transfer coming in...in my dream scenario. 

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

The Wilton news means they have a 5th year transfer coming in...in my dream scenario. 

Patterson, please!! 

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I just read it straight from Sam--ugh.  When Sam gets cryptic like this, lots of red flags go up with the player--at least for me.  Patterson's brother trying to get paid again, maybe?

There was another source today who said essentially the same thing yesterday that Sam did hours ago, and was hoping that source (although credible) was wrong.

Looks like the McCaffrey/Milton/Peters battle royale is on come spring game.

Milton throws the best on the run of the group, which he did a ton of in HS because his OL was garbage.  Short but not an especially high delivery for a 6'5" guy.  My father works the chains for Vero Beach, and he had a chance to chat Milton up on the sidelines at the end of his final high school game.  Milton actually got ejected--lol.  The kid said he was really excited about coming to Michigan, after the old man told him he was a lifelong Michigan fan.  

McCaffrey also throws well on the run, and to my eye he's the fastest of the trio (honest 4.6 wouldn't shock me).  Polished in the pocket, reads the whole field, checks down to 2nd, 3rd targets.  The polish reminds me of Tate Forcier, in a good way, but of course McCaffrey has like 5" on him.  The intangibles are there with this kid, as his dad was an All-Pro and his Bro a first-rounder and celebrated rookie this year.

Peters showed quite a bit of touch in his limited time as starter.  Mobility is solid, on-par with Milton.  Has seen the playbook for longer, team needs him to become one with it by Spring Game.  Pure arm strength is also on-par with Milton, although his delivery has more polish.  Deep ball looks to be the best of the three, although all three can sling.

These three aren't clones of one another, but they are all 6'5ish and fluid athletes--can make most every throw.  None have a Henne or Mallett canon, IMO, but certainly enough arm to hurt college defenses.

6 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I just read it straight from Sam--ugh.  When Sam gets cryptic like this, lots of red flags go up with the player--at least for me.  Patterson's brother trying to get paid again, maybe?

There was another source today who said essentially the same thing yesterday that Sam did hours ago, and was hoping that source (although credible) was wrong.

Looks like the McCaffrey/Milton/Peters battle royale is on come spring game.

Milton throws the best on the run of the group, which he did a ton of in HS because his OL was garbage.  Short but not an especially high delivery for a 6'5" guy.  My father works the chains for Vero Beach, and he had a chance to chat Milton up on the sidelines at the end of his final high school game.  Milton actually got ejected--lol.  The kid said he was really excited about coming to Michigan, after the old man told him he was a lifelong Michigan fan.  

McCaffrey also throws well on the run, and to my eye he's the fastest of the trio (honest 4.6 wouldn't shock me).  Polished in the pocket, reads the whole field, checks down to 2nd, 3rd targets.  The polish reminds me of Tate Forcier, in a good way, but of course McCaffrey has like 5" on him.  The intangibles are there with this kid, as his dad was an All-Pro and his Bro a first-rounder and celebrated rookie this year.

Peters showed quite a bit of touch in his limited time as starter.  Mobility is solid, on-par with Milton.  Has seen the playbook for longer, team needs him to become one with it by Spring Game.  Pure arm strength is also on-par with Milton, although his delivery has more polish.  Deep ball looks to be the best of the three, although all three can sling.

These three aren't clones of one another, but they are all 6'5ish and fluid athletes--can make most every throw.  None have a Henne or Mallett canon, IMO, but certainly enough arm to hurt college defenses.

My guess is they will try to redshirt Milton, like they did McCaffrey.  I'm looking forward to the competition next spring & my hope is the OL will be better too.