Deleterious

2017 Michigan Football

Purdue is getting hype for hanging in close with L'Ville during their season-opening loss, and Michigan is getting knocked for beating an "overrated" UF team that just beat 25th ranked Tennessee yesterday.  The reality of these sentiments is likely somewhere in-between, but we'll find what the Michigan pass defense is made of come Saturday.

Purdue gave up 35 points to a potent Cardinals offense featuring the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, so there's no shame in that.

In the two games since, L'Ville needed a huge 4th quarter to come back against UNC and they were demolished by a good #3 Clemson team.

The Boilermakers have fared better against far worse opponents, beating an OK Ohio U squad by three TD and thumping a hapless Missouri team by four TD.  Missouri has a quality QB but he doesn't have much help.

Not playing against a good passing team hurts a little going into Purdue, but Purdue hasn't faced a defense or run game like Michigan's yet.

Michigan could be missing Tarik Black for next week and beyond per Joe Milton

If Black is out, one assumes DPJ takes his place and there is little dropoff in production.  That won't be enough for the rest of the season IMO, though, as both of these kids were needed to open up the offense.  Thankfully, Harbaugh has a lot of options.  The Michigan thing to do would be to give Moe Ways playing time, but does that mean it's Harbaugh's way?  Other options include moving McDoom to the outside or giving one of Nico Collins (Kenny Golladay clone) and Oliver Miller (Jason Avant-ish) some run.  Collins makes a lot of sense, as the team could use the red zone target.

If Isaac is out because of a lingering abdominal injury, then the RB rotation become Higdon/Evans.  Walker's health is anyone's guess, but it would be a good week for him to be healthy.

These two injuries potentially take away Michigan's best offensive players.  Luckily, there are guys who can step up and prevent any talent drop-off.  Here's the rub with these injuries--it happened late in a game where Michigan was supposed to be dominating and playing their depth.  That's the price Harbaugh paid for his vanilla playbook yesterday.

Michigan should be Purdue by 10.

i think youre placing a lot if stock in rankings.  florida and tennessee are talented, bad teams that are disorganized and poorly coached.  it was fully on display saturday.  both those coaches will likely be fired at the end of the year.

michigan was bad offensively against cincinnati and bad offensively against air force.  they need to pick it up for conference play.

33 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think youre placing a lot if stock in rankings.  florida and tennessee are talented, bad teams that are disorganized and poorly coached.  it was fully on display saturday.  both those coaches will likely be fired at the end of the year.

michigan was bad offensively against cincinnati and bad offensively against air force.  they need to pick it up for conference play.

Is Purdue a better defensive team than Florida?  Than AF?  I'm going to say no and maybe, respectively. 

How disorganized might Michigan look if nine players were suspended that first week?  Likely better than UF, but it could have still been a ****e-show.

I think Purdue vs Tennessee or UF is a pick 'em matchup.

Can Purdue stop Michigan's run?  Can they stop Michigan's TE if Harbaugh chooses to unleash them?  This is a bad matchup for the Boilermakers.

i think purdue v tennessee is tennessee -10.   and then i think im going to make some good money on that game.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:25 PM, Buddha said:

tarik black is out for the season,  i believe he broke his foot.

I read 6-8 weeks, but not sure how accurate that is. Buy if he's able to come back for the OSU game, even if limited, he'll play in that and the bowl game.

He's not gonna be here 5 years regardless, so there's no point in a redshirt.

Nothing official on Speight's injury, but I've heard whispers about him being out eight weeks.  This is not from a mainstream source at all, but it does come from a source close to the training staff.  Grain of salt, but Harbaugh's comments yesterday tell me JOK will be the QB vs MSU at a minimum.

There is nothing that says JOK will perform like he did against Purdue going forward, but the look we got was a good one.  Essentially, it was the death-by-TE offense many of us have wanted since G1 and JOK mostly looked sharp.  That JH has JOK--a guy who has thrown for over 3K yards in a season--to turn to is a real blessing.  Kind of like getting another Rudock, if you will.  With the lineup of QB behind Speight and JOK, it is very likely that they won't have to take another QB x-fer for the next six years.

If you look at the QB position, things could shape up so that Speight isn't back for a 5th year.  

Here's a look at the scholarship chart as it stands

(RS)SR--JOK

(RS)JR--Speight

(RS)SO--Malzone

(RS)FR--Peters

FR--McCaffrey

2018--Milton, Doyle

Milton is enrolling early, so he will get the chance to compete his way up the depth chart this spring.  I'm not crazy about his arm slot and delivery, as it is low and elongated, but we'll see when he gets to Michigan.  Peters/McCaffrey/Milton could be a real dogfight.  All are between 6'4 and 6'5 and bring some athletic ability to the table as a pro-style QB.  Just looking at tape of each one, I like Peters the best but all have proper tools if not polish.

We can hope that O’Korn upped his game over the last year, and that speight was 1A and OKorn was 1B, with Harbaugh deferring to speight’s experience in giving him a lot of leash over the first few games. 

If guys are close, I don’t necessarily like the idea of changing QBs if the first guy is struggling a bit. That can lead to guys playing tentative and being worried about losing their spot. So I hope that was what was going on with Harbaugh sticking with speight, and it wasn’t because OKorn is a clear step behind. 

I think OKorn could have success with this offense. Maybe even more success given his better mobility and the line being awful. 

Maybe speight is the better guy when the pocket isn’t collapsing on him. 

15 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think OKorn could have success with this offense. Maybe even more success given his better mobility and the line being awful. 

That line is so bad right now.  I knew it was only a matter of time before Speight got hurt because of it, and I hope Peters is ready to go going into what promises to be a chippy MSU game.

I don't think it is unfair to anyone if JH stays with JOK as long as he is turning the wheels of the offense.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, Shelton said:

We can hope that O’Korn upped his game over the last year, and that speight was 1A and OKorn was 1B, with Harbaugh deferring to speight’s experience in giving him a lot of leash over the first few games. 

If guys are close, I don’t necessarily like the idea of changing QBs if the first guy is struggling a bit. That can lead to guys playing tentative and being worried about losing their spot. So I hope that was what was going on with Harbaugh sticking with speight, and it wasn’t because OKorn is a clear step behind. 

According to Sam Webb, O'Korn has been much improved and took over the backup job as far back as the Italy trip. So I'm choosing to optimistically believe he really did turn a corner

24 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

According to Sam Webb, O'Korn has been much improved and took over the backup job as far back as the Italy trip. So I'm choosing to optimistically believe he really did turn a corner

It certainly paints a better picture about Peters if okorn just got better rather than Peters getting worse or not improving. 

In the summer it seemed funny when okorn was mentioned along with speight and Peters. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

It certainly paints a better picture about Peters if okorn just got better rather than Peters getting worse or not improving. 

In the summer it seemed funny when okorn was mentioned along with speight and Peters. 

JOK finally appears to be the guy we thought he was when he transferred.  Why he was so pedestrian last season will go down as one of the great mysteries of the recent Michigan Football program IMO.

9 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

JOK finally appears to be the guy we thought he was when he transferred.  Why he was so pedestrian last season will go down as one of the great mysteries of the recent Michigan Football program IMO.

he played like 1 game in the snow.

33 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I don’t think the OKorn game against Indiana will go down as much of anything. Certainly not a great mystery. 

To be clear, JOK was supposed to be the starter last year running away per reports of him the scout team by Sm Webb during his sit-out year.  Couple that with the Indiana game, and yeah, it was pretty shocking how it all went down. 

17 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

To be clear, JOK was supposed to be the starter last year running away per reports of him the scout team by Sm Webb during his sit-out year.  Couple that with the Indiana game, and yeah, it was pretty shocking how it all went down. 

Yes, Sam Webb being wrong will go down as one of the great mysteries.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

3 broken vertebrae for Speight?   To be re-evaluated in eight weeks for possible surgery.   

Wow...........that poor kid.  

On 9/26/2017 at 5:16 PM, mickeyb105 said:

Nothing official on Speight's injury, but I've heard whispers about him being out eight weeks.  This is not from a mainstream source at all, but it does come from a source close to the training staff.  

The cheap shot by that Purdue player needs to be played over and over again until the B1G takes action against Purdue.

If Speight needs surgery he's a huge underdog to never play again, and he will absolutely have health problems the rest of his life.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Yes, Sam Webb being wrong will go down as one of the great mysteries.

Sam Webb's info comes directly from the coaching staff, so yes.

Not to say they don't feed him lines at times to motivate players, which I'm sure they do, but it's not like we're talking about a Tom Beaver who just makes stuff up

28 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Sam Webb's info comes directly from the coaching staff, so yes.

Not to say they don't feed him lines at times to motivate players, which I'm sure they do, but it's not like we're talking about a Tom Beaver who just makes stuff up

To be sure, Webb's access to the Michigan program is unmatched by anyone in the media.

I'm not listening but I pulled this off of a thread on MGoBlog.  People are posting that Sam Webb said on his show that Nate Johnson has now been permanently dismissed from the team.  This is not a suspension, he is gone.