Deleterious

2017 Michigan Football

welp, i think we can agree that this is the end for michigan state's luck filled run as a top big ten team.

penn state looks like theyre back (with their disgusting fans), michigan is back, buckeyes never left, and sparty is imploding as the world finally discovers dantonio's history of a program run amok.

"pride goeth before the fall" indeed, mark.

• Like 1

What is going on in EL.

Vayante Copeland done at Michigan State; Demetrius Cooper decision pending

MSU coach Mark Dantonio said cornerback Vayante Copeland no longer is with the program, becoming the seventh projected starter to either leave or be dismissed from the team this off-season. The Spartans kick off their season at home against Bowling Green on Sept. 2. 

Dantonio said he has not made a decision whether an eighth potential starter, senior defensive end Demetrius Cooper, will be back with the program this fall. Cooper was accused of spitting in the face of an East Lansing Parking and Code Enforcement officer’s face on Oct. 30 last year. He took a plea deal that would drop it to a littering fine in November if he followed his bond conditions. However, Cooper allegedly violated his bond conditions and received a stricter probation.

That program has had a ton of problems with its players violating the law for a LONG time now and they've done nothing about it because they've been winning.  Now things are really out of control and suddenly everyone notices that Saint Mark Dantonio might not be running the cleanest ship in the sea?

And the administration closes its eyes to the problem and gives them the "vote of confidence" because they called the Title IX office when they found out three of their players raped a girl, filmed it, and then sent out snapchats of it to all their friends.

Forget Dantonio, how is Hollis still in a job?  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Not too many seniors on this team, so it is pretty cool the kids will get that trip and the Rome trip from a few months back.

It is a nice deal for the kids. Many regular undergrads travel abroad for a semester and that is something Varsity players can't normally do. I just hope he's getting outside funds for all this.

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It is a nice deal for the kids. Many regular undergrads travel abroad for a semester and that is something Varsity players can't normally do. I just hope he's getting outside funds for all this.

It's one private donor that's footing the entire bill specifically for this, per Warde.

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Does it really matter where the funds come from?

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

G2, I assumed Ross or someone else of means was the benefactor behind the trips. 

45 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Does it really matter where the funds come from?

Yes - because if Euro training trips were coming out of the general AD fund budgeting there would be a lot of other potential constituencies/beneficiaries of those funds within the U community who would complain about it.

When donor funds are used for ear-marked purposes, it is inherently non-controversial (in general at least) because it's understood that donors have independent interests and agendas.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yes - because if Euro training trips were coming out of the general AD fund budgeting there would be a lot of other potential constituencies/beneficiaries of those funds within the U community who would complain about it.

When donor funds are used for ear-marked purposes, it is inherently non-controversial (in general at least) because it's understood that donors have independent interests and agendas.

The football team pus for the entire AD. It doesn't seem like it should matter if they decide to spend some general AD money on the program. 

22 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The football team pus for the entire AD. It doesn't seem like it should matter if they decide to spend some general AD money on the program. 

If you are on a club team that lost varsity status and no other FB team in the country is training in Europe, you would be PO'd if they were using general fund $$. The institutional deal is that FB provides support. If Div1 FB didn't provide support beyond itself, it would have no role at an AAU institution. There would be no reason not to go Ivy League.

What is happening at Eastern is an small scale example of what happens when that arrangement fails.

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you are on a club team that lost varsity status and no other FB team in the country is training in Europe, you would be PO'd if they were using general fund $$. The institutional deal is that FB provides support. If Div1 FB didn't provide support beyond itself, it would have no role at an AAU institution. There would be no reason not to go Ivy League.

What is happening at Eastern is an small scale example of what happens when that arrangement fails.

And Michigan isn't Eastern. I agree that Eastern Michigan shouldn't be spending genera AD funds on trips to Rome. 

• Like 1

Do the kids like these trips?

I remember reading Fab Five. They took a European trip one summer and Mitch Albom said the players bitched and moaned the entire time.

11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I remember reading Fab Five. They took a European trip one summer and Mitch Albom said the players bitched and moaned the entire time.

From the sounds of it, the players very much enjoyed the trip. It was also part of spring practice, so that probably plays a factor. 

I don't know much about the European trip for the fan five. The basketball team did a European trip a few years ago during the preseason to play games. Maybe that type of trip is less interesting if you are just going from city to city to hold practices in a gym and play games in front of empty arenas. 

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

From the sounds of it, the players very much enjoyed the trip. It was also part of spring practice, so that probably plays a factor. 

I don't know much about the European trip for the fan five. The basketball team did a European trip a few years ago during the preseason to play games. Maybe that type of trip is less interesting if you are just going from city to city to hold practices in a gym and play games in front of empty arenas. 

I'll venture that Harbaugh is a better tour guide/planner than Fisher was.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I have it in my head that on the Fab Five 30 for 30 that both Rose and Howard (IIRC) admitted they were too immature to appreciate the trip at the time, but were glad they went as they matured.

I'm not sure I've seen a Michigan team with higher expectations, but with so many starting positions up in the air on Aug 1.  This is going to be a wild ride.

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'm not sure I've seen a Michigan team with higher expectations, but with so many starting positions up in the air on Aug 1.  This is going to be a wild ride.

I think fans are excited for another season due to the potential shown in the last couple years under harbaugh in the post hoke era. 

But I don't think expectations are higher than they were last year. We lost a lot and like you said, there are a lot of positions up for grabs. 

It would be nice to be able to have a season where things come together with a good team and with Osu at home. I don't think we have the team this year. 

56 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think fans are excited for another season due to the potential shown in the last couple years under harbaugh in the post hoke era. 

But I don't think expectations are higher than they were last year. We lost a lot and like you said, there are a lot of positions up for grabs. 

It would be nice to be able to have a season where things come together with a good team and with Osu at home. I don't think we have the team this year. 

Sorry my wording was off, but what I was trying to say was that I had never seen a Michigan team that lost so many starters--and so many starting jobs yet to be decided--saddled with such high expectations.

Del said something in another thread (or maybe this one?) about Michigan's WT being 9.5 according to one of the booking houses--not sure if it was a B&M or Bovada online.  When I went to place a bet at Red Rock three weeks ago, for what it is worth, was high on Michigan to the tune of expecting their line to be "at least 10 wins", but he would be comfortable betting 10.5.   RR/Stations hadn't placed a line on the game as of yet, so he had no skin in the game either for company or personal--he just thought their schedule was easy and the team was loaded.

My heart wanted to think he was right, and the team is certainly as deep with young talent as it has been in years, but the team is also young.  10 wins is my conservative win total, but my man in Vegas is right that perhaps it should only be a floor.

I'm saying I don't think that fans are saddling this team with high expectations. I think most fans don't expect this team to win it's division this year. 

I think fans are excited to see the team play again, because of recent success and what appears to be a good path going forward.

I think last year the expectations were higher going into the season.  

The WR position is as loaded with talent--and various types of receivers--as I've ever seen.  Black and DPJ are both #1 caliber receivers, and someday they will share the field together.  Ways and Collins present two giant red-zone targets.  The slot is loaded with McDoom, Martin, Schoenle, Johnson and Perry if he gets to come back.  I suspect one of Martin or McDoom will move to the outside on occasion.  Of course Crawford will likely start on the outside and he should be a playmaker.

I can see Harbaugh going 4-wide a bit this year, although I hope he finds a back in camp willing to pass pro.  Smith was so valuable in this regard.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I'm saying I don't think that fans are saddling this team with high expectations. I think most fans don't expect this team to win it's division this year. 

I think fans are excited to see the team play again, because of recent success and what appears to be a good path going forward.

I think last year the expectations were higher going into the season.  

Perhaps your average Michigan fan doesn't have high expectations, but Harbaugh brings expectations from the rest of the college football landscape.  Nobody in the B1G scares me this season, although you can't ever sleep on Meyer's teams.  Florida doesn't scare me, either, although a road game is still a road game even if it is in a "neutral" stadium.