Height:  6’2”

Weight:  230 lbs

40-yd Dash:  4.7 sec

Arm Length:  32”

Hand Span:  9”

Intelligence:  Above Average

Characteristics:

Instincts, Athleticism, Range, Tackling, Intelligence

He's got the speed, but pretty light IMO.

Regents OK football performance center in Oosterbaan Field House

Plans to construct a new football performance center and provide infrastructure improvements in the Bennie Oosterbaan Field House were approved Thursday by the Board of Regents.

The $21 million project calls for a 32,000-square-foot performance center to be built within the 78,000 square-foot field house, which will be used for strength and conditioning training for the football program. The project also calls for the addition of a 5,000-square-foot mezzanine level.

The project also will address infrastructure and life-safety needs, such as replacing the existing roof, installing new fire alarm and suppression systems, and upgrading the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and lighting systems throughout the building.

Some skill position battles to watch this spring in AA:

QB:  Speight vs Peters-- Barring lingering of injury, Speight should be back as starter but with fierce competition.  Having a returning starting QB would be a luxury in 2017, on a team that has lost so many starters.

RB:  Evans vs Walker vs Higdon-- Whoever is the best in pass protection will start here.  All three are capable of 100 yard games, 1,000 yard seasons pending carries.  Look for Johnson and/or Isaac to move on.

WR:  DPJ vs Ways vs McDoom vs Harris vs Black vs Collins vs Crawford vs Hawkins-- This is going to be a battle royale!  I honestly have no idea who will start on the outside in '17, but my money is on DPJ and either Crawford or McDoom.  I like all of the talent here, and it seems like Ways and Harris have kind of had their shot in the past.  Black, Collins and Hawkins could start as freshmen for a few B1G teams (and they could start on this one).

Slot:  McDoom vs Johnson vs Martin--  I have a feeling that Perry is done on the football team, but I could be wrong.  McDoom is the speed guy, Johnson is the smooth route runner and Martin is an athletic specimen that, like McDoom, could play outside or inside.  Whoever runs the best routes and displays the best hands wins the spot, so may the best man win.

TE:  Bunting vs Wheatley vs Hill vs Gentry--  Bunting has the massive edge in game experience, and there is no reason to think he'll see less playing time this season.  But will he be the full-time guy?  Hard to say.  With the influx of WR over the past two classes, Gentry looks to get some time at TE before Spring Game.  Hill is an option to bounce back and forth, and what a luxury he is.  Wheatley is a strong enough blocker that the staff approached him about converting to LT in the past, but that ship appears to have sailed.  Call him the blocking TE next year.  McKeon and Eubanks are supposed to be really good, we'll see if they get a long look with Asiasi transfer talk persisting.  If Asiasi doesn't transfer, then obviously he's in a dogfight with Bunting to win the starting TE job.

51 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure Devin has been in California since the start of the current semester.  I get homesick, but this guy was likely going to be the starting TE in 2017.  Now he has to sit a year, then come back and play.  

Not the end of the world, but sucks to lose Asiasi. TE would have been loaded. Its deep enough and solid enough now, but Asiasi was something different IMO. 

3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Not the end of the world, but sucks to lose Asiasi. TE would have been loaded. Its deep enough and solid enough now, but Asiasi was something different IMO. 

I'm not sure losing him changes anything, really, either.  He was a real talented guy, but we are still real deep at the position if you count Hill back in the mix swinging  back and forth to TE/FB.

21 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I thought he brought a bit of a different element, but in the end I'm not worried about TE 

If you can forgive the lack of social comparison, I thought his skill set and build was a lot like Aaron Hernandez.  He could have brought a nice wrinkle into the game for Michigan over the next two or three years. 

With a legit five or six talented TE in the mix headed into Spring, it is tough to be worried about TE when it looks like a true frosh could start at either OT or C this year.  Or both, pending on how willing the staff is to kick Cole back out to LT (and how willing he is to do it after passing on the draft this year to build his stock/get his degree).

5 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yah, the OL is going to be interesting to watch. Not sure what will happen with Cole. I say leave him. 

The team is bankrupt at OT.  I don't believe a word of the stories that say Newsome will make it back this year.  The guys on the Michigan Scout board seem 50/50 on him ever playing again.  After going through the Antonio Bass saga, it is hard for me to have faith after such a severe leg injury.

In Ruiz, Michigan has the first or second rated OC in the 2017 class depending which site you read.  Coming from IMG, he's ready to play immediately and I have a feeling he starts if Cole is down with kicking back out to LT.  They also have Kugler, a former #1 OC in his class who may/may not come back for a 5th year.  I have no idea how the staff views him, as he is a Hoke holdover.  The choices at tackle are underwhelming, without a real legit starting LT on the roster save Cole--who has the technique, agility and strength to play it.  Lots of RTs on the roster, and solid depth at OG.

Newsome was a huge loss. Definitely sucks for us. 

Ruiz has some filling out to do is all. You need some man strength to play C in the B1G. Doesn't mean he can't get there by game 1 though. 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Newsome was a huge loss. Definitely sucks for us. 

Ruiz has some filling out to do is all. You need some man strength to play C in the B1G. Doesn't mean he can't get there by game 1 though. 

Nas, how much do you want this kid to fill out if he's already 6'3 321?  I'll give you that 30 of that can be shed with no problems, as he's got some baby fat on him, but you replace that with even 15 pounds of muscle and we're talking 6'3 305 and that's a really good size for a B1G center.   In this picture of him, I see a very powerful lower body and an upper body that needs conditioningand weight training--even for a Center.

Cesar_Ruiz%20091616

Ruiz is, according to the scouting report, a powerful run blocker who is fast to the second level and quick enough to block smaller targets in pass pro.  He just needs work on technique, and as you can imagine at his size, flexibility.  If he spends the next four months with a strength and conditioning coach--which he'll have top-notch access to at City State of Sparta . . . uh, I mean, IMG . . . he'll put himself in really good position for the fall.

That is assuming the leg injury was the only thing keeping him in the hospital that long. Given that we live in the age of HIPPA and so don't that kind of info anymore who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That is assuming the leg injury was the only thing keeping him in the hospital that long. Given that we live in the age of HIPPA and so don't that kind of info anymore who knows.

Such speculation is completely inappropriate and unfounded.

5 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Such speculation is completely inappropriate and unfounded.

Why any more unfounded or inappropriate than speculating on whether he can make it back based on the supposed severity of the injury that we don't actually know either? You don't think that was an inordinately long stay for any kind of musculo-skeletal issue? If they were treating something else non football performance related (like a hospital acquired infection) it might be a reason for the claim he is going to be back despite the amount of time in the hosp.

35 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Why any more unfounded or inappropriate than speculating on whether he can make it back based on the supposed severity of the injury that we don't actually know either? You don't think that was an inordinately long stay for any kind of musculo-skeletal issue? If they were treating something else non football performance related (like a hospital acquired infection) it might be a reason for the claim he is going to be back despite the amount of time in the hosp.

It was a serious knee/leg injury, that's what they told us, that's what Grant wants us to know. Anything beyond that is going to put bad ideas in people's minds or sell the severity of the injury short.

7 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

It was a serious knee/leg injury, that's what they told us, that's what Grant wants us to know. Anything beyond that is going to put bad ideas in people's minds or sell the severity of the injury short.

I don't follow you at all here.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't follow you at all here.

I'm sure you can think of some things that people would like to keep private. EDIT Whatever happens is between a patient and a doctor and is none of your damn business.

he's a football player at a div one school and it whether he plays or not is a going to be a matter of speculation - even at a national level. That is just the way it is. Tell the handicappers, the gamblers. the 24/7 sport media and the fans who buy the tickets that is isn't.  You can't put that toothpaste back in the tube.

Besides, the reality is that no-one ever really knows the last word on how 'bad' any injury is until the player either does or doesn't play again and how well he plays if he does. There is nothing different in Newsome's case to my knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'm sure you can think of some things that people would like to keep private re: mental health, addiction, disease.

It's none of your damn business.

I don't think he was trying to make it any of his business.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't think he was trying to make it any of his business.

This is like the 5th time he's speculated that something mysterious is going on with Newsome.

His leg got ****** up. He needed a **** ton of surgeries. The end.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Not sure what your stake is, but I really feel as though you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I don't like it when people speculate as to why a young man is in a hospital.