Mr.TaterSalad

2017 NFL Draft Thread

12 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Its worth noting that the Pats like building their DL around depth. They want 8-10 guys who can all do some damage, but aren't necessarily pro bowlers or anything. Its always nice to have a stud or two of course, but its about distributing resources and minimizing risk. I have no idea if we have the right guys, but I think that's how you'll see Quinn build the DL. DE is also a high bust rate position, especially in the first round, and the Patriots were supposedly wary of it. 

I love having depth, it was the single biggest flaw in the way Mayhew built a roster. That said depth DL guys are great, but they rarely get sustained pressure. I didn't expect Quinn to fill all the needs of the Lions in this draft. I can't say I liked every draft pick, but I feel Quinn did the best he could trying to mix his talent evaluations with team need.

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I love having depth, it was the single biggest flaw in the way Mayhew built a roster. That said depth DL guys are great, but they rarely get sustained pressure. I didn't expect Quinn to fill all the needs of the Lions in this draft. I can't say I liked every draft pick, but I feel Quinn did the best he could trying to mix his talent evaluations with team need.

Well, IDK if it can get that sustained pressure, but I'd guess this is the way our roster will be built as long as Quinn is here. 

I like that everybody Quinn picked has a clear role. You can see him filling in the depth chart when he gets to Rounds 4 and later, when he focuses on getting a second tight end who can pick up a 3rd and short or make a big catch in the red zone. A LB who has the speed to make plays in coverage on 3rd and long. A slot CB who has high-end speed and quickness and a track record of making plays.

The big question mark is whether Golladay will pan out - and whether Quinn should have picked a DL or RB there. Not sure there was anyone at those positions that was a clear upgrade over what we already have.

31 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Well, IDK if it can get that sustained pressure, but I'd guess this is the way our roster will be built as long as Quinn is here. 

Lions were second to last in defensive hurries last year. Patriots were 10th.

Whatever the Lions tried to do to get pressure last year, it clearly didn't work.

27 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I like that everybody Quinn picked has a clear role. You can see him filling in the depth chart when he gets to Rounds 4 and later, when he focuses on getting a second tight end who can pick up a 3rd and short or make a big catch in the red zone. A LB who has the speed to make plays in coverage on 3rd and long. A slot CB who has high-end speed and quickness and a track record of making plays.

The big question mark is whether Golladay will pan out - and whether Quinn should have picked a DL or RB there. Not sure there was anyone at those positions that was a clear upgrade over what we already have.

There were other WR a lot of "experts" liked better. Williams, Darboh, Westbrook, Reynolds, etc. I get the need to a redzone WR though. I just don't like Golladay.

There are a few notable experts that liked Golladay. I think he will be boom or bust for the Lions.

3 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Lions were second to last in defensive hurries last year. Patriots were 10th.

Whatever the Lions tried to do to get pressure last year, it clearly didn't work.

No doubt, but like you said, the Pats were 10th. Last year was his first year here and Ziggy got hurt. All I'm saying is, trust the process. 

4 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

No doubt, but like you said, the Pats were 10th. Last year was his first year here and Ziggy got hurt. All I'm saying is, trust the process. 

It would be hard for the Lions to get less pressure in 2017 than 2016. So the bar is low. I think the exceedingly poor LB play also had a lot to do with the lack of pressure. The LB could not cover anyone,so the opposing QB needed next to no time to torch the Lions over the middle. Which is how QBs like Nick Foles looked  Pro bowl caliber.

The Patriots D-line had more talent on it than the Lions showed. A lot will depend on which version of Ansah shows up this year. Quinn couldn't fill all the needs in two drafts, I didn't expect him to. I expect the D-line will be much better in couple years under Quinn.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, Buddha said:

Overview: While the Lions’ first-rounder addressed a need and put a talented player in Detroit, Davis plays a low-value NFL position as an off-ball linebacker and battled a multitude of college injuries. Sophomore GM Bob Quinn invested his second-round pick on athletically-challenged Tabor, who ran a 4.72 forty at his Pro Day and may struggle to transition his playmaking-based game into the pros, where everything moves so much faster. In a third-round trade with the Patriots, the Lions turned pick No. 85 into Nos. 96 (Golladay) and 124 (Reeves-Maybin). I was genuinely stunned project receiver Golladay went so early in the draft, and Reeves-Maybin barely played football last season. Roberts is another probable wasted pick, lacking both NFL-level receiving and blocking skills. Agnew, Ledbetter, and O’Connor were low-floor, low-ceiling late-rounders. Kaaya’s book smarts are the best thing he has going for him. If I were a Lions fan, I would be very disappointed they didn’t place more emphasis on pass rush in a draft with so many quality rushers. And I would be very disappointed with this haul as a whole.

Grade: D+

I would overall agree that the draft wasn't great, but it's kind of silly how so many commentaries (not just this one) on the draft are just 'they didn't draft linemen, so it was bad'. I mean yes, I'm the first to say the Lions d-line was hilariously terrible last year, but so were the linebackers! If they had drafted a ton of DEs instead of LBers would they be saying 'well, this draft sucks because the Lions didn't solve the hole at linebacker'?

The problem isn't what positions they drafted, it's that they had so many mediocre to bad players.

2 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I love having depth, it was the single biggest flaw in the way Mayhew built a roster. That said depth DL guys are great, but they rarely get sustained pressure.

The Greg Mattison theory - a fresh 80% guy is a good as a tired 100% guy? Maybe more true of not getting beat on the run than being able to beat a good OL on the rush, but not the worst theory if you think getting studs for the DL isn't in the cards in a given year.

This wasn't a great draft for pass rushers, beyond the top few imo.  The guys taken around the Lions pick were one trick ponies. 

Not a fan of grading drafts until 3 years later.  Draft grades should be on pause until then.  We should be grading 2014's draft this year, 2015's next year etc.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

This wasn't a great draft for pass rushers, beyond the top few imo.  The guys taken around the Lions pick were one trick ponies. 

Both of the LB drafted can get to the QB if the scheme--and the beef up front--allows them to.  Obviously, this is no replacement for a great rush end, but having a pair of LB that can get to the QB in a hurry is a tool that should be used this season.

There were other WR a lot of "experts" liked better. Williams, Darboh, Westbrook, Reynolds, etc. I get the need to a redzone WR though. I just don't like Golladay.
There are a few notable experts that liked Golladay. I think he will be boom or bust for the Lions.

Well, Westbrook got thrown out of a combine interview and was called a "degenerate" by a scout. Nobody else has the combo of size, speed, and hands that Golladay does. If he can learn to get off the line, he'll be boom rather than bust.

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Both of the LB drafted can get to the QB if the scheme--and the beef up front--allows them to.  Obviously, this is no replacement for a great rush end, but having a pair of LB that can get to the QB in a hurry is a tool that should be used this season.

Better coverage by the LB's will allow the pass rushers to get more sacks.

The biggest problem that Golloday had in NIU is that he didn't have a good QB.  He was also the best player by far, teams had to stop him because there was nobody else on the offense to stop.

23 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Lions have two days to pick up Ebron's option.

I heard they were going to pick it up but dropped it last second.

• Like 3

i look forward to watching ebron try to jump over tacklers when he should be running through them for another year!

I heard they were going to pick it up but dropped it last second.

Nicely done. ;-)