Mr.TaterSalad

2017 NFL Draft Thread

Just now, cruzer1 said:

I think they have a good dline,  They were affected by the terrible coverage last year.  They need Ansah to be healthy, and should be solid.  I don't know what their needs will be next year, we'll know more after this year starts.

It's solid but some young depth that could develop into something more would be and would have been nice.

1 minute ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

It's solid but some young depth that could develop into something more would be and would have been nice.

They drafted two players.  Look at the Pat O'Conner video.  He's got some talent.

2 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

They drafted two players.  Look at the Pat O'Conner video.  He's got some talent.

All things are possible. I usually just consider the top 2 or 3 rounds if you're looking at immediate depth charts. Beyond specialty roles like blocking tight ends or nickle linebackers. Can't really count on much beyond that, just hope you hit a double or a triple with someone.

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

All things are possible. I usually just consider the top 2 or 3 rounds if you're looking at immediate depth charts. Beyond specialty roles like blocking tight ends or nickle linebackers. Can't really count on much beyond that, just hope you hit a double or a triple with someone.

Looking at the roster, there were already 11 DL on the team, before the drafted and undrafted players.

94 Ansah, Ezekiel DE 6-5 275 27 5 Brigham Young
95 Bryant, Armonty DE 6-4 265 26 5 East Central (Okla.)
51 Copeland, Brandon DE 6-3 263 25 3 Pennsylvania
61 Hyder, Kerry DE 6-2 301 25 2 Texas Tech
90 Washington, Cornelius DE 6-4 292 27 5 Georgia
69 Zettel, Anthony DL 6-4 271 24 2 Penn State
79 Hill, Jordan DT 6-1 291 26 5 Penn State
92 Ngata, Haloti DT 6-4 345 33 12 Oregon
91 Robinson, A'Shawn DT 6-4 320 22 2 Alabama
97 Spence, Akeem DT 6-1 307 25 5 Illinois
99 Thornton, Khyri DT 6-3 315 27 4 Southern Mississippi

2 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Looking at the roster, there were already 11 DL on the team, before the drafted and undrafted players.

94 Ansah, Ezekiel DE 6-5 275 27 5 Brigham Young
95 Bryant, Armonty DE 6-4 265 26 5 East Central (Okla.)
51 Copeland, Brandon DE 6-3 263 25 3 Pennsylvania
61 Hyder, Kerry DE 6-2 301 25 2 Texas Tech
90 Washington, Cornelius DE 6-4 292 27 5 Georgia
69 Zettel, Anthony DL 6-4 271 24 2 Penn State
79 Hill, Jordan DT 6-1 291 26 5 Penn State
92 Ngata, Haloti DT 6-4 345 33 12 Oregon
91 Robinson, A'Shawn DT 6-4 320 22 2 Alabama
97 Spence, Akeem DT 6-1 307 25 5 Illinois
99 Thornton, Khyri DT 6-3 315 27 4 Southern Mississippi

How many of them do you think will be actually productive. A lot of injury questions as well.

I'm just saying if they wanted to upgrade the position they probably would have taken one in the top 3 rounds. I don't think it was a dire need for this draft, but I suspect it will be next year. I'm not complaining, since they needed a LB and a CB as well, but that depth chart doesn't inspire.

I think they probably wanted an edge rusher in the 3rd round but they were all gone, so they traded down. Which is the correct move. I suspect they'll still want an edge rusher next off-season.

Just now, MAROTH4MVP said:

How many of them do you think will be actually productive. A lot of injury questions as well.

They might just carry 9-10, so they have good depth imo.  They'll probably have to replace Ngata next year, so that will be a spot, plus others.

3 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I'm eager to see what Bryant can do with a full off season here.

1 minute ago, cruzer1 said:

I'm eager to see what Bryant can do with a full off season here.

Me too. But I question if he can stay on the field between suspensions and injury.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

1) complain about lions lack of running game all year.

2) watch lions draft no running backs in a deep class.

3) say the lions had no need to draft any becauae the lions' rbs are awesome!

ok homer.

The Lions upgraded the offensive line and get Abdullah back who showed promise behind a shaky line. Not every position can be address with the draft. It's not like LB or CB where there is no depth and wasn't injury to a good player that they expect to get back. 

Lions signed Stanford WR Michael Rector.

Rector (6’0/193) earn playing time on offense in each of his four seasons at Stanford, graduating with a career 104-1,681-15 (16.2 YPR) receiving line but never reaching 35 catches in an individual year. Rector blazed 4.42 with an explosive 10-foot-9 broad jump at the Combine. While certainly athletic, Rector was not a dominant college player, seeming to plateau after a fast start to his career. He also flashed poor ball skills, frequently struggling with drops and double catches. Still, Rector’s vertical speed makes him a worthy flier as a possible No. 3 or 4 sub-package receiver.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/04/29/cousin-cameron-maybin-role-model-new-lions-lb/101072078/

Allen Park – Jalen Reeves-Maybin, a fourth-round draft pick for the Detroit Lions, comes from an athletic family. His father, Marques, was a basketball player at Louisville, averaging 14.5 points as a senior in 2000-01. And Reeves-Maybin’s cousin happens to be Cameron Maybin, the former Detroit Tigers outfielder.

Reeves-Maybin said the two are close and Maybin texted his cousin shortly after he was selected by the Lions.

“I’m definitely going to have to hit him up and have him tell me about Detroit,” Reeves-Maybin, a linebacker, said during a conference call Saturday afternoon.

Cameron Maybin

Cameron Maybin (Photo: Rob Tringali, Getty Images)

The Tigers drafted Maybin with the No. 10 pick in the 2005 draft. He was the organization’s top prospect when he was traded to the Florida Marlins in 2007 as part of a deal that landed Miguel Cabrera.

Maybin returned to the Tigers last season, hitting .315 with four home runs and 15 stolen bases in 94 games, but was traded again in the offseason, this time to the Angels.

Eight years older, Maybin set a good example for Reeves-Maybin growing up.

“He was always focused, always staying out of trouble, always hung out with me,” Reeves-Maybin said. “He wasn’t the cooler older guy who was too good for me. When I came to town, he always spent time with me. The coolest thing was one time he went to work out for some MLB teams when I was younger and I got to go out in the field and shag balls and stuff.”

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Lions signed Stanford WR Michael Rector.

Rector (6’0/193) earn playing time on offense in each of his four seasons at Stanford, graduating with a career 104-1,681-15 (16.2 YPR) receiving line but never reaching 35 catches in an individual year. Rector blazed 4.42 with an explosive 10-foot-9 broad jump at the Combine. While certainly athletic, Rector was not a dominant college player, seeming to plateau after a fast start to his career. He also flashed poor ball skills, frequently struggling with drops and double catches. Still, Rector’s vertical speed makes him a worthy flier as a possible No. 3 or 4 sub-package receiver.

Convert him to CB or Safety...

23 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Convert him to CB or Safety...

No, not worth the trouble.  The offense needs some speed, even if its for the preseason.

4 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

how many does cruzer think will be productive or how many will be productive?

the lions dline was one of the worst in the league in pressure last year.  it had little to nothing to do with the dbs (who also wetent very good).  

they signed nothing but depth players this year.  depth is important, but not as important as playmakers.  the lions dline has one proven playmaker in ansah.

as for ngata, he could be a cap casualty this year and certainly will not be back next year.  he wasnt very good last year either.

quinn comes from the pats and probably believes what the pats seem to believe, that the system is whats important, especially on defense.  but the pats have the greatest head coach in nfl history and the lions do not.  i'll take a few more playmakers please.

I don't see the Lions cutting Ngata this year, nor do I see him staying past this year.  He did a better job of being Ngata this past year than the past.  He moved a lot better.  Don't expect a whole lot from him.

• Like 1

...quinn comes from the pats and probably believes what the pats seem to believe, that the system is whats important, especially on defense.  but the pats have the greatest head coach in nfl history and the lions do not.  i'll take a few more playmakers please.

Hmmm... hire a GM from the top franchise in the NFL but don't try to take lessons from them...

Seriously, you are being a bit simplistic here. Belichick wants players who love football and have a high football IQ. Then he wants to find ways to maximize their strengths with targeted game plans each and every Sunday. I think Quinn has looked for players in this mold, and found them. We will see if Caldwell's staff can use them.

It has to be stated that Quinn did draft playmakers. Tabor: 9 INTs and 41.2 passer rating against him in the top tier of college competition. Golladay: 18 TDs over two seasons, possessing NFL height and speed. Roberts: 16 TDs last season possessing NFL size and strength. Agnew: 11 INTs and 48 pass breakups possessing world-class speed. Yes, these players have weaknesses but they also have strengths. And yes, every player drafted has to answer the question of whether they can do it at the NFL level, but they are all projectable.

Maybe they will all fail, but Quinn probably deserves the benefit of the doubt with the success of last year's class.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Look at the prospects the Pats took.  All 4 of them.  They don't deserve an A.  They don't deserve to call the players they traded the picks for (Cooks, Ealy, etc.) as part of this draft class.  That team isn't getting any younger, but they are talented.  I don't think they put themselves in good shape cap wise with all of those moves.  They will thin out as an organization.

1. They have a ton of cap space

2. Are you really questioning Belichick's ability to build a roster with depth?

3. Brady's got a couple more years, go all in a bit. 

4. Don't forget they dumped Collins and Jones 

6 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Its worth noting that the Pats like building their DL around depth. They want 8-10 guys who can all do some damage, but aren't necessarily pro bowlers or anything. Its always nice to have a stud or two of course, but its about distributing resources and minimizing risk. I have no idea if we have the right guys, but I think that's how you'll see Quinn build the DL. DE is also a high bust rate position, especially in the first round, and the Patriots were supposedly wary of it. 

They also like to find value players, and I think that's another thing we've seen Quinn build the DL around. Washington was a combine star and started to show flashes this year. Hill and Hicks were both relatively recent 3rd round picks, Bryant has had off the field issues, but has potential to be a bit of a steal himself. Even a guy like Ledbetter who's a stud athlete and flew under the radar a bit after starting out at a JUCO. Also, Austin seems to be good at producing pass rush in general. 

Look at the Pats defense in general last year. It wasn't much for studs. Would you take Mccourty/Butler/Hightower over Ansah/Slay/Quin? They had depth everywhere though and everyone has a role.

Even with all the question marks, I'd argue our defensive depth is starting to look pretty interesting. When's the last time our top 2 backup corners had the ceiling of Hayden and Tabor? We have 3 functional safeties, 13 interesting bodies on the DL and at the worst we have more depth at LB. You've used a 1st and a 4th and  signed Worrilow and Bellore. I don't know what any of them will do next year, but all 4 are better than last year's counterpart from a talent standpoint IMO. If you notice, where they've invested money is in positions that don't get rotated out a lot. #1 CB,OL, MLB,QB and WR. Its no accident. 

Offensively I think they are starting to build similar depth, but they need one more WR(Boldin?) and maybe one more RB(Blount?). Blount would do a lot for our 3rd and 1 conversions and RZ conversions, where we struggled badly. 

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions upgraded the offensive line and get Abdullah back who showed promise behind a shaky line. Not every position can be address with the draft. It's not like LB or CB where there is no depth and wasn't injury to a good player that they expect to get back. 

Fells and Roberts is a huge upgrade to our run blocking too IMO. 

lions have a top 10 qb, they have a chance to win every week.

• Like 1

I'm really not concerned about draft grades.  Most of those come because of what the experts think they should have done or because of team history.  That's why the Pats get an A all the time.  The Lions have gotten good draft grades in the past & turned it into bupkus.  It doesn't matter until they hit the field.

3 hours ago, djhutch said:

I'm really not concerned about draft grades.  Most of those come because of what the experts think they should have done or because of team history.  That's why the Pats get an A all the time.  The Lions have gotten good draft grades in the past & turned it into bupkus.  It doesn't matter until they hit the field.

Good point. Once a team's screens put a guy on their radar, they can (and hopefully do) do a lot more in depth analysis before they decide to put him on their board than any of the analysts can do for any player.

It's interesting that we didn't draft any lineman until the 6th round, and stayed away from offensive lineman entirely. It's not surprising, because the O line was addressed in free agency, but still interesting to me because it feels like we have drafted a lineman high for the past few years. 

It's common to talk about building up the trenches, so I take that as a good sign that this team feels pretty good about those units. To be able to add more linebackers, defensive backs, and pass catchers is a nice luxury. 

I think this was a pretty good draft for the lions. 

• Like 2